Just got a DSR920 what to look for?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I ran into a OEM chip for a piece of forestry equipment that had a battery inside the chip. They put it in there to keep power to the proprierory bios on it. The chip could be stored indefinetly from new but the first time it was installed onto a board and powered up, it was on until the battery died. It had an estimated lifespan of five years then the bios was lost and you would need to fork out another $100 or so for a new chip.

That was definetly built in obsolescence in this case as they could have used a prom chip and still have kept the code from prying eyes. Also made the computer problem harder to track down as it would only lose partial functionality. You could also get intermitten wire shorts that could cause the same functions to be erratic, so you had to be 100% that it wasn't wire related before swapping the chip.

I've worked on a few boards from logging equipment and based on what the customers told me and from what I could see on the board, they were WAY over priced! So I'm not surprised that they'd use something similar to sell more parts.
IMO electronics and logging equipment don't mix. But without them the logging industry wouldn't be where it is today.........which in this area is nowhere.

The most over priced part IMO are electronics and oring kits. Want a diode that will be $24, oring kit with 5 small orings, $145. Those are around the prices that these components sell for from the dealer when they buy them from the eguipment manufacturer. Found the same diodes on digikey for a pack of 100 for a few dollars less. :eek:

I used to never asked the parts guys about the prices mostly because I thought most parts are overpriced but when I heard the price of the diodes I actually cross referenced them to digikey to find out the real cost (and told the parts guy the price and part number). The other reason not to ask was if the customer asked me how much something was I could answer guilt free "I don't know, look on the invoice when you get it or call the parts guy now".

The logging industry here is really bad now, but in the late 90's it sure was booming.

Last edited:
Yup, I'm not far from you here in Fort Frances and our mill is still running but it's all just a matter of time. Lots of hard times ahead for those involved in the logging industry. It's "get big or get out" and even if you're big it doesn't take much to ruin you. My Dad was a one man cut and skid operation, he passed away kind of in the middle of the automation of the logging business (1995). Glad he's not around to see it today!

As regards the parts, I agree that if you buy from a dealer or manufacturer you're gonna get ripped off! I've rebuilt/repaired some control boards for local loggers, things like burned circuit traces, diodes and resistors and they couldn't believe how "inexpensively" I could repair them compared to what they'd pay for a new board, some over $1000 with only maybe a dozen relays and a handful of components which could be purchased from somewhere like Digikey for maybe $30-40. Crazy stuff.

I worked at a dealership here and I have fixed a few traces and burnt out on board components, but only if the customer asked and if the machine was out of warranty. Trade ins were fixed also sometime to keep the cost of the repair lower. Most of the newer stuff is all surface mount components now and is too difficult to repair.

Did you get your 920 yet?

No, I don't expect it 'till early next week with the holiday in the States etc. hopefully by Tues. or so. No word from the seller on shipping info. either.
Better look into that.

Finally got it.......

Well it finally showed up yesterday (almost 2 weeks in shipping :( ). I changed the battery first thing before doing anything else. It has a UID that's not all zeros but it does not match what is on the sticker on the back. I'm guessing that's just as bad as all zeros.

I knew I was taking a chance buying it from someone who "doesn't know a lot about these units" and buying it as is but I'm still wondering.......What exactly does the receiver lose when the battery goes dead. I understand it's information on an eeprom, that part I get. But what I don't understand is why that information could be put on at the factory but never ever again if it loses it. I understand that Digicypher is like the ultimate in hacker proof technology and that it's never been hacked but wouldn't Motorola authorize someone to repair them especially since they no longer produce a consumer version of it?

Well I'm still gonna play with it just to see if I can get any of the free DCII stuff that's out there just for fun. I'm also gonna keep searching to see what other info I can find. I know that we have about the best group of experts right here in our forums but I'm the type that likes to dig a little deeper. At this point I'm feeling kind of like a paramedic who keeps doing CPR even though we know the patient won't make it.

Will do......I'll have to set up a temporary C-Band dish or move my 6 footer although it might not be big enough. I have a 10' which is almost ready........I'm assuming you mean C-band.

Edit: Duh, there's only C-Band on G15. And some analog too for easily finding it!
Thanks

Last edited:
Cool............waiting patiently.
What will I see when that happens?
I feel all excited...........I had to put together a VERY temporary 10' C-Band mount........it involves a picnic table and some..........no no, you probably don't want to know what it involves.

you wont see any changes....just that all the channels are mapped in there

I learned that after doing a master reset...I had no channels and 10 minutes after locking on a premium channel (Starz on G5 125W) 10 minutes later I had all the channels logged in and W5 logged in (105W)

When you say "mapped" does that mean I'll see them in the guide or does that just mean that it's ready to accept some programming?
What about the zero key DCII stuff? Will that come in?
Sorry about the multiple questions, I've been waiting for a 4DTV receiver seemingly for years and I'm a little anxious.

And I guess the ultimate question is, if I get the DC light on Ch.3 and it maps the channels does this mean that the UID is still good?

When you say "mapped" does that mean I'll see them in the guide or does that just mean that it's ready to accept some programming?
the channels will be logged in...unlike DVB where we can add channels rather easily DCII it has to download the channels

What about the zero key DCII stuff? Will that come in?
yep. Hook it up to KU to make sure...there isn't much but a couple channels

Oklahoma PBS on K5 600 (AMC5)
Georgia PBS on K3 640 (AMC3)

just whatever you do, dont let it sit on AnikF1 (107.3).....it will download the Starchoice channel maps and will make you do a master reset....it screws up the box if that happens

Cool........I'll have to do that another day. So there's nothing to see on G15 then aside from some analog stuff? I notice TV Guide is in the clear but I can't seem to find it.
I'm kinda stuck on G15 C-Band for now 'cause of the temporary mount. I didn't get my cement work done before winter hit so the remainder of the project might have to wait 'till spring. At least now I know that I have a receiver that works.
So if the battery had gone dead and the UID was gone I wouldn't get the DC light at all? Is that correct?

So if the battery had gone dead and the UID was gone I wouldn't get the DC light at all? Is that correct?
You will still get a Green Light even if the battery is dead.

Found this.....
Linuxman wrote.......
You can validate whether the numbers are good or not by the CA number on the back of the unit. If it corresponds to the second line on the system status screen, the unit is good.
Make sure you are looking at the correct line on the Status Menu, Option, 6, 5, - second line
If in doubt.....
SPS Satellite Programming Service Inc. - C Band Programming Provider in North America

Would the numbers match if the unit was previously repaired? I was thinking if a repair facility like ATS serviced the receiver and replaced the board, would it have the same ID?

Perhaps that could explain a mismatch.

There seem to be a lot of variables and things that will make a 4DTV receiver not work properly. So far it seems far more complicated than DVB. Hopefully I will learn as I go but that is a question that I had too.
The other question is, do they/can they change the board if the battery has died? And at what cost?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)