Status
Please reply by conversation.

shugo77

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 9, 2005
Heart of Dixie
My HR10-250 has been acting up lately, a lot of reboots and lockups. The wife and I got tired of it so I called DirecTV. They offered me a swap of my current HR10-250 for $99 and I talked them into a $100 credit on my bill. So I got it bascicly for free, minus $7 in tax, cool!

What surprises me was when I asked for the HR20-700, the guy said they cannot guarantee what model I would get. He said something about a 400 (I think) the 700 and the 100. I said as long as it is a High Def DVR, I didn't care. I had never heard of these other models, so i figured he did not know what he was talking about.

Well, I got an HR20-100, it is shiny black like a piano and has cool blue lights that match my TV. I was surprised I haven't seen anyone on Satguys talking about this new model, but I found a ton of info on it on dbstalk. Apparaentlty the black one that I got is in high demand and I can see why, because it looks awesome.

My installer was real good as well, he mounted the 5lnb slimline dish on a pole and dug a 3-4 ft hole in the ground and dumped two bags of concrete in there, that pole isn't going anywhere. He asked me if I wanted it on the roof, but saide he preferred to do it on the ground. The guy was so good and thorough I gave him a $20 tip.

So far I like the Hr20, it seems to have some nice features that the TIVO doesn't and I have not had a single problem yet. I think I will really like it once I get used to the menus.

Oh well, I'm done bragging, just thought I'd share my wonderful experience.:D

just curious, did they actually take the hr10?

I thought the installer was supposed to take it, but he said he would get in trouble and heads would roll if he took it. He said I am probably supposed to mail it to DirecTV. I am going to call or email them in the next couple of days and see what they say. I don't know why they would want it, it's a pice of crap and I don't think they would be able to resell it. Heck, I'm not sure if they still sell working HR10s. I'm kind of hoping they tell me to trash it, I sure would like to keep the 250Gb hard drive, unless it's bad.

I had a Hr10-250 replaced a couple of weeks ago. Directv mailed me a refurb.(HR-10:() They told me not to return it. I owen mine and I have the protection plan. Not sure if any of that matters.

I emailed DirecTV and the response is below...

"Thanks for writing about the receiver you disconnected. Upon checkng your account, it shows that you own the DIRECTV HR10-250 receiver, returing of this receiver is not necessary. You can either keep them for possible future use. However, since you've mentioned that it was not working well, you can otherwise dispose them."

I don't understand but I'm not complaining, they told me when I ordered the HR20 that it was a swap. By this message it looks like I can hook up the HR10 and continue using it, or maybe the person that responded doesn't know what they're talking about. At anyrate I'm keeping it, at the very least I can take out the hard drive and use it in my computer. I'll just be sure to keep the email in case DirecTV ever asks me for the receiver.

when i ``swapped'' my h10 for an h20, i was told i would not be keeping the h10. however, when the installer was here, he told me i owned the h10 and he wasn't required to return it!!!!

i think its wise you keep the email because with directv you never know. they tried to slap a 2-year commitment on me to install 2 tivo units i've owned for years. i finally found a csr who actually checked my account and said there was no commitment. go figure!!!

I thought the installer was supposed to take it, but he said he would get in trouble and heads would roll if he took it. He said I am probably supposed to mail it to DirecTV. I am going to call or email them in the next couple of days and see what they say. I don't know why they would want it, it's a pice of crap and I don't think they would be able to resell it. Heck, I'm not sure if they still sell working HR10s. I'm kind of hoping they tell me to trash it, I sure would like to keep the 250Gb hard drive, unless it's bad.

I just had a HR10 swapped thru the protection plan and Directv told me to just throw the HR10 in the garbage. I even called back and verified.

It depends if you own the receiver then you will not have to return the receiver, but if it is leased then you will possibly have to return the reciver. call dtv and see what they say.

It depends if you own the receiver then you will not have to return the receiver, but if it is leased then you will possibly have to return the reciver. call dtv and see what they say.
Just swapped out my Last HR10-250 for a HR20.
My Directv HR10-250 was Leased, But the CSR said not to return it. She said they are not accepting any returns for HR10-250s anymore, it was mine to keep. I asked her If I gave it to a friend could they activate it on their account, she said yes but they would need to purchase a new card for $20.

So I just recentally sold it to a "Friend" on Ebay for $250 :D
They will be receiving it on Friday, will let you know if any problems setting it up on their account.

Question: does the HR20-100 with a RC34 remote have RF capabality and if it does how do I enable this feature. The unit had an antenna attached to the rear of the -100. Thanks for any help that anyone has out there.

Question: does the HR20-100 with a RC34 remote have RF capabality and if it does how do I enable this feature. The unit had an antenna attached to the rear of the -100. Thanks for any help that anyone has out there.

The remote that comes with the HR20-100 works with RF, I tried it out but couln't stand the response time, so changed it back to IR. It was pretty easy to do, the setup option is in the menu settings under remote control setup.

So are you saying that they went back to the external with an antenna ?
The older types (H10) had this style. then the HR20-700 came out and had the RF internal, no antenna required.

Jimbo

So are you saying that they went back to the external with an antenna ?
The older types (H10) had this style. then the HR20-700 came out and had the RF internal, no antenna required.

Jimbo

Yes, the HR20-100 comes with an optional RF antenna that can be screwed into the back. My installer screwed it in, I don't think he really even knew it was for, at least that's the impression I got.

Yes, the HR20-100 comes with an optional RF antenna that can be screwed into the back. My installer screwed it in, I don't think he really even knew it was for, at least that's the impression I got.
Either way , it's good , there was talk awhile back that they were not sending RF antennas with them anymore and D* would sell them to you if you wanted one, save them money I guess.

I have had the external and the internal and bothhave worked very well.

Thought was that the internal would not work as well, due to it being inside, but both mine work equally well in all locations in the house.

Jimbo

By cid, if you mean caller ID, my HR20-100 caller id is working great. What kind of issues are you talking about?
yes cid caller id

every cid capable box in my house plugged is in they all function except hr20-100 in fact when i plug just phoneline into hr20-100 it kills my main phoneline no dialtone nothing

if i unplug phoneline or use dsl filter my main phoneline works

i have cable internet and not dsl so i should need the filter
my phone is comcast digital phone not voip

as i said every other cid capable ird i have functions fine with no filters

when filter on hr20-100 call comes through with absoulutely no cid display from hr20-100

i have 2 other hr20-700 np cid works great no filters

hr20-100 was installed 2-3 days ago and actually tried 2 hr20-100 units while installing and both untis had same cid problems as described above

hopefully this is just a software issue

Stone aren't you an ex-Dish customer??

How does it compare??

A few more weeks with a 622 and Dish and that POS is going into the river!!! Or on ebay.
Im not an ex customer, im a customer turned inactive account by audit peons after i passed every audit(7-10 total 4-5 in prior 2 month period search my audit team threads for more details)
there reason for turning my account inactive was moving, ill continue to bitch till cows come home and someday soon i will be a active *ish customer
never had the hd package on 622 and always got nickel and dimed with fees
had hd pack on 942 right before 622 came out

for me even with the no cid prob on my hr20-100 its far better than any *ish product
the hr20-100 looks visually stunning to me at least
under the hood i prefer the hr20-700 as ive never had any problem with the hr20-700's
Dtv is joy *ish is ish imho

hope this helps ya:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)