Just got the $10/month Platinum charge removed...

On a recent bill, I was charged $59.95 for a service call when we got our locals in HD and needed to have my dish adjusted/changed to receive the 129 sat. I called Dish and got a very nice CSR who saw I have been with *E for almost 10 years and promptly took the charge off. She also reviewed my account and said that since I had the AEP she would give me $20 off HBO AND $20 off SHOWTIME ($40 saving) for 3 months without me even asking for anything! I have also done the trick of changing my programming as mentioned in the previous responses and did not have any problems in getting my $10 Platinum charge removed.

Imagine how many subscribers will keep on paying the Platinum charge because they don't read satelliteguys.

Amazon did the same thing when they dropped the price of a Kindle by $60, and said they would refund $60 to anyone who had purchased it in the previous three months. You got the refund only if you called to ask for it.

So 4 phone calls later I get it straight. Geez. Call 1 got the charge taken off without the programming added back on. Call 2, computers down call back. Call 3, sounded like she was clueless, said she did it and it would take 10-15 minutes which I immediatedly questioned since it was as soon as I hung up on call 1 to loose it. Call 4, someone who knew what they were doing. Kudos for them in having a person to talk to 24/7. I just wish they were better trained, but much of that is on Dish and their pricing structure.

Is it not possible to do it with the package selection web page, as it is if you DON'T have Platinum and want it? Because that procedure has been posted here a million times, and talking to a CSR is just asking for trouble.

Is it not possible to do it with the package selection web page, as it is if you DON'T have Platinum and want it? Because that procedure has been posted here a million times, and talking to a CSR is just asking for trouble.
Since I have annual programming, Dish will not allow me to change anything online.

Just tried online chat, got Shaun C. mentioned in OP, no dice. I will now call, ask for supervisor if needed, mention my years of being a "valuable customer". We'll see how that goes. :)

Just tried to do the online swap, and indeed it does show HD+plat when you use the back button. Unfortunately when I tired to process the order, I got an error saying your request could not be process please try again later.

So I shall try again later haha. But you can definitely see the HD+plat option.

It doesn't necessarily mean they've removed the option, it could just mean that their server is having problems. Historically, their website has been pretty crappy.

It doesn't necessarily mean they've removed the option, it could just mean that their server is having problems. Historically, their website has been pretty crappy.

Oh yea most definitely. DISH website is one of the slowest and most error prone sites I have been on. I tried to do it about 2-3 times in a row, and I kept getting the error message. So i will try again later and report back.

EDIT: So it still wouldn't work online. I went to online chat and had it added for free. All is well!

Last edited:
I did the "back button procedure" online and it works just fine. It shows "HD & Platinum" and my bill went down $10/month.

trying to understand if I can remove this charge myself. I go in to my channels, I have classic gold 250, then on the right I see, gold HD for $10 and then a check box, platinum HD $10.

If I uncheck that box, will I keep all my channels and simply lower my bill $10, or is there more to it?

HD Net Movies NBA TV Smithsonian HD World Fishing Network MGM HD NHL Network Universal HD Are these channels now a part of the gold package? I am just trying to understand this whole situation in order to try and save 10 bucks but not lose channels like the nhl network in HD

Last edited:
trying to understand if I can remove this charge myself. I go in to my channels, I have classic gold 250, then on the right I see, gold HD for $10 and then a check box, platinum HD $10.

If I uncheck that box, will I keep all my channels and simply lower my bill $10, or is there more to it?

HD Net Movies NBA TV Smithsonian HD World Fishing Network MGM HD NHL Network Universal HD Are these channels now a part of the gold package? I am just trying to understand this whole situation in order to try and save 10 bucks but not lose channels like the nhl network in HD

Select "No HD". Then click the Verify/Confirm button at the bottom. It will show just your Classic Gold 250 with no HD. From there, click the "BACK" button at the bottom. You will then be presented with the option of "Gold HD & Platinum" for $10/month. Select that and then verify/confirm, go to the next screen and click "Order Now."

When I called a few days ago, my bill was already posted online which was $103.70. They said the removed the charge, which was great. I was expecting to pay the $103.70 this month and next month it be $10 less.

Well I am auto pay, but they only took $93.38 out so I got the $10 taken off from the current bill as well.

And if you are wondering why the bill was $93.38 instead of $93.70? Taxes.

So in reality I am saving $10.32 per month! :)

How do you print your conversations with CSR when you go on line with them? Sometimes I need to go back just to see what they are saying on certain subjects that are brought up when I am talking to them.

If memory serves me right, they email you a copy of your chat after it is terminated.

I usually just select the text of the chat [CTRL-A, CTRL-C] and paste it into a Word document.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts