Just got the $10/month Platinum charge removed...

davec53

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 29, 2006
I saw where some folks had success getting the Platinum charge removed, so I gave it a shot. At first, the CSR didn't want to give it up, but I think he made a little slip-up and decided to go ahead and do so...here's the chat:

Please wait while we find a representative to assist you...
You have been connected to (03) Shaun C..

(03) Shaun C.: Thank you for being a valued DISH Network customer, I will be happy to assist you today. Please give me 2-3 minutes to access your account and review the information you have already provided.

(03) Shaun C.: Your patience is greatly appreciated.

(03) Shaun C.: Hello David.

david campbell: hello

(03) Shaun C.: I will be glad to help you with your concern.

(03) Shaun C.: Can you please confirm the city, state and the zip code?

david campbell: yes sir. it is ##################

(03) Shaun C.: Thank you.

(03) Shaun C.: I see that you have platinum HD package on the account and you will be charged $10.00 per month for this.

david campbell: Well, I had seen recently where there is no longer a charge for the Platinum package...that those channels are included in the Gold package?

(03) Shaun C.: I would like to inform you that we have different promotions for our new and existing customers as part of the promotion we are offering Platinum HD package free with the HD package to our new customers.

(03) Shaun C.: Please understand that we are not offering platinum HD free for existing customers.

(03) Shaun C.: I apologize for any inconvenience.

(03) Shaun C.: If I remove platinum HD it will not be available for you.

(03) Shaun C.: We are working to offer this free for existing customers as well.

(03) Shaun C.: As of now it is not available.

david campbell: So, if I completely remove all HD programming, but then decide to add it back, and I choose the Gold package, won't those channels just be included now? The way the web site reads, there is no longer actually a Platinum package

david campbell: it is all part of the gold package

(03) Shaun C.: Please understand that you cannot get platinum HD package as we are not offering this package any more.

david campbell: lol...then how can I be paying $10/month for it, if it no longer exists??

david campbell: I'm not trying to be difficult...it is just that I have already read online that SEVERAL current subscribers have asked for, and been granted, the reduction on their accounts of the $10/month Platinum charge, since it is now free for new customers

(03) Shaun C.: It is effective 8/01/2009.

(03) Shaun C.: Please understand that all the customers who has this package will still this channels for $10.00 per month.

david campbell: so, i feel like i'm paying $10/month for something that doesn't actually exist any longer

david campbell: right?

(03) Shaun C.: I'm sorry, if you feel that way.

(03) Shaun C.: Let me what I can do to help you today.

(03) Shaun C.: Thank you for your patience.

(03) Shaun C.: I have checked with my supervisor.

(03) Shaun C.: As you have been a wonderful customer for more than 5 years and we do not want to disappoint a long time customer like you. I will go ahead and offer platinum HD package free with the Gold HD package.

david campbell: I truly appreciate it...thank you very much!

(03) Shaun C.: You're very welcome.

(03) Shaun C.: You are all set. Have I handled everything to your satisfaction?

david campbell: Definitely, sir....you have been very helpful

david campbell: thank you

(03) Shaun C.: I'm glad we were able to take care of that for you. Thank you for being a DISH Network customer, have a great day.

(03) Shaun C.: Bye and take care!

Thank you for visiting Dish Network. You may now close this window.
Your session has ended. You may now close this window.​

I just wanted to post this info in case it helps anyone to get out of paying the $10 charge for Platinum.

Looks like they are telling existing customers that they can't have Platinum now. Back when I made the switch, they just gave it to anyone who asked.

Word is if you remove Platinum and remove HD from your account online then readd HD, it will include the platinum channels.

I just called up had them remove it.

Funny thing is the website doesnt even list the Plat channels. . But they are still there..

Looks like they are telling existing customers that they can't have Platinum now. Back when I made the switch, they just gave it to anyone who asked.

Word is if you remove Platinum and remove HD from your account online then readd HD, it will include the platinum channels.

I tried that last night. Didn't work. Cost me $5 to find that out.

Huh. When I did it a few weeks ago, there was no downgrade charge, because I never finalized the order to remove my HD channels. When I hit the "review changes" button, it brought up a new screen with the "HD+Platinum" package as one of the selections, so I selected it, then hit the order button, and presto, atomic sidegrade. Disclaimer: I didn't have Platinum at the time, I dropped it a few months ago when it became obvious that they were only adding worthless channels to it.

If they've indeed changed it now, then they've proven that they intend to do the unthinkable: create two different packages at the same price. Hell should be raised, whether the Platinum channels are worthwhile or not.

Huh. When I did it a few weeks ago, there was no downgrade charge, because I never finalized the order to remove my HD channels. When I hit the "review changes" button, it brought up a new screen with the "HD+Platinum" package as one of the selections, so I selected it, then hit the order button, and presto, atomic sidegrade. Disclaimer: I didn't have Platinum at the time, I dropped it a few months ago when it became obvious that they were only adding worthless channels to it.

I can confirm this - I just (as in 2 minutes ago) went to dishnetwork.com. I didn't have platinum before, just the Bronze HD add-on. I unselected it, then chose to review my order. Instead of confirming, I chose to go back, and now I had the option to choose 'HD + Platinum' for $10.

I just called and had mine removed at 2:39 PST.

Thanks for the information. It was a pretty easy conversation....

I can confirm this - I just (as in 2 minutes ago) went to dishnetwork.com. I didn't have platinum before, just the Bronze HD add-on. I unselected it, then chose to review my order. Instead of confirming, I chose to go back, and now I had the option to choose 'HD + Platinum' for $10.

It worked! Thanks for the tip.

Thanks! I just did this and it worked. Key seems to be using the back button, as you mentioned.

Removing $10 Platinum kills $3 DVR Advantage discount?

I dropped my Platinum and used the review trick to bring up the free Platinum check box. When I reviewed the order again, I saw that the change would kill my $3 DVR Advantage discount. I think I saw something earlier on this being dropped in the new pricing structure. Has anyone that had the DVR Advantage discount managed to keep it after getting Platinum without the $10 charge?

Just so I am clear, Platinum does still exist for customers choosing the Turbo HD packages right? I just chatted with a rep and they told me that there is still a $10 for the Platinum package for any customers choosing Turbo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)