Just got voom installed!! Brand new software??

I called Voom today to ask questions on programming and found the CSR to be very up to date on his info of hardware and software. He told me that the "NEW" software was only available on a new version of the STB which just started shipping and that the software would not work in the first generation boxes. I asked are you sure Voom is shipping a new version of the STB and not just new software in the first generation boxes. He was quite sure the new software was coupled with a second generation box on for new installs. For what it is worth.

How can you tell if you have a second gen box? Is there a label or another identifier on the box?

I got installed today as well. Mine has the new software since it allowed for OTA scanning and had the signal bar for the OTA stations. All peaked at 90-94% as well as Voom itself. It had the 85 or better for weather fade as they call it.

Indy said:
...the software would not work in the first generation boxes.
I wouldn't believe that! Unless of course by "the First Generation boxes" they mean those boxes that were shipped back in November-December. Some of them had serious hardware problems ("The Lockup Disease") and have been all replaced by VOOM in February-March.

Indy said:
I called Voom today to ask questions on programming and found the CSR to be very up to date on his info of hardware and software. He told me that the "NEW" software was only available on a new version of the STB which just started shipping and that the software would not work in the first generation boxes. I asked are you sure Voom is shipping a new version of the STB and not just new software in the first generation boxes. He was quite sure the new software was coupled with a second generation box on for new installs. For what it is worth.

SO WTF? Has Wilt and Sean and all the rest that are supposed to be "in the know" been pulling everyone's leg about this new software update for the "old" boxes?

Ferdy said:
SO WTF? Has Wilt and Sean and all the rest that are supposed to be "in the know" been pulling everyone's leg about this new software update for the "old" boxes?

I second what Ilya told you... Pure non-sense the software upgrade will work with your box... Don't believe everything a csr tells you.

Neutron said:
How can you tell if you have a second gen box? Is there a label or another identifier on the box?

I got installed today as well. Mine has the new software since it allowed for OTA scanning and had the signal bar for the OTA stations. All peaked at 90-94% as well as Voom itself. It had the 85 or better for weather fade as they call it.

Maybe you could share some numbers on the STB label. Any difference in the model number?

jimmykce1 said:
So when is the new download going to happen for us existing customers??
Well let us look at this objectively. Voom developed new software and it is standard on new issue boxes. The very same boxes the CSR told me that are second generation, not like the original boxes. So with that in mind it looks to me Voom is happy with the new software or they would not be making it standard issue for new installs with new boxes. Now to the older software customers. If the new software is able to be downloaded to current original issue boxes would it not be happening? Show me ONE customer who has received the new software via a download to their original issue box that was put into service prior to 06-25-04. I rest my case.

Indy,
VOOM stopped shipping original "First Generation" boxes long ago and has already replaced most (if not all) of those that have been shipped. So, even if the CSR was telling the truth it doesn't apply to you. What you have is a Second Generation box!

Don't worry, you will get your software update! Don't panic. Just take Wilt's word for it. He promised us previous software updates too, and they occurred, perhaps later than we all hoped. ;)

Ilya said:
Indy,
VOOM stopped shipping original "First Generation" boxes long ago and has already replaced most (if not all) of those that have been shipped. So, even if the CSR was telling the truth it doesn't apply to you. What you have is a Second Generation box!

Don't worry, you will get your software update! Don't panic. Just take Wilt's word for it. He promised us previous software updates too, and they occurred, perhaps later than we all hoped. ;)

I'm fine, no complaints. I have all but one of my OTA channels and have learned to live with the occasional re-boot from time to time.

CSRs - some Members - common sense

Here's what a Voom CSR told me today:

"Voom is busily working to add new cable favorite channels - very soon." When I pressed him for further information, he stated Voom was looking to add Religious Programming. Problems: I don't care...if I want to be enlightened I will open the good book, open a cook book or perhaps watch Playboy HD :) - Voom had better be adding real cable favorites like USA, Sci-Fi, Lifetime, etc., before making plays for any stinkin' religious or shopping net-F'ing-work - for all this CSR knows, the contracts could be signed tomorrow but the channels won't show up for months.

"Voom has a brand new set top box coming out by another vendor soon." Of course, when pressed he couldn't answer any of my specific questions: What brand? It is an STB or DVR? When are they going to be released?

Ok, the CSRs are TRYING (with trying being the operative word) to be helpful and reassuring to the customer by echoing rumors they hear...heck, some of this rumor originates on this Forum. :eek: However, their inane and often senseless babble is just that; misinformation based on fiction and not fact. The moral of this story is to ask lots of questions, use your common sense, and trust but verify. Always try your best to be polite and thank the CSRs because they are generally trying to help.

If you don't ask questions, you will become one of the flaming few who come to this forum stating something like, "Hey, we're getting new channels...USA, SCI-FI, several others from what I hear...oh, and we're also getting new STBs! The current ones are garbage so Voom is going to get rid of them and give us all new one...I'm not positive, but I think we're going to get Sony's! I love Sony products :) Yeah, that's the ticket! In fact, we're getting 9 new SD and INHD, HDNET by Tuesday. I will gladly pay you Tuesday for INHD today. Plus, I hear Voom is going to replace our Moto STB with new DVRs...at no charge! Plus, they are going to reduce Va Va Voom to $39 and, in fact, pay us to watch. Yeah, that's the ticket!!!

Jeeeezzzzzz.

PS. I hear rumor the firmware update will be released this evening (nyuk, nyuk, nyuk)

I called today and the CSR had no clue about anything................of course she said someone will call me back............the phone has yet to ring.

Wishful thinking

I hope one of the fixes in the new software will be the DV-I compatibility problem. :D

Tokebuddude said:
I hope one of the fixes in the new software will be the DV-I compatibility problem. :D

I agree with that. I would liketo go back to my DVI connection instead of the component. SD on DVI is bad and the color on the component is better. Shouldn't be this way.

Indy said:

Time will tell, but I still think these are the facts and the CSR has the correct information. Maybe a couple of weeks will prove this one way or the other? :D

The first generation boxes were all replaced back in November/December. Everybody (or most) have second generation boxes. The new software will work with all the boxes that customers have already. The new boxes that are shipping with the new software are no different than what most customers have right now. These are the facts. No conspiracy theory here. I have seen the new software working on the boxes that everybody has. As it has been repeated countless of times here, CSRs are not a reliable source of information.

Thanks Sean. This post from you should be a permanent note at the top of the forum until software arrives.

P.S. Wilt has not been able to update us and I imagine that after the two weeks have been somewhat extended he may be hesitant, but I would help to know what happened and one more month.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts