Just ordered DTV - looking for install advice

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

hezagenius

Original poster
Aug 13, 2008
Waukee, IA
Long time lurker, first time poster. Seems like a lot of helpful people hang out here so I'm hoping to get some help.

I ordered DTV today and want to make sure my install is optimized and I don't get screwed on the equipment. I will have 4 HD TVs.

I went through DTV directly. Is that wise? Is it better to go through a local installer?

I signed up for the HMC DVR. Is the only option for that the HR34?

Is there a specific model of receiver I want for the other 3? Is there a specific model(s) I do not want for the other 3?

Going thru D* directly or thru a dealer is pretty much a personal choice.
Much depends on your situation, for example, I need a few HR24's, D* can't get them for me for sure, so I call Claude at Dish Store, he has them, so this way I know what I'm getting.
Solid Signal is another popular place to get a specific recvr .

With Claude being here at Sat Guys, it makes it much more convenient as I can ask him questions vs calling D* or someone else.

I think the offerings are close to one another as far as programming goes.

Yes, the HR34 is the only current option for a HMC.

I would try to get HR24's or at least H24's, the other option you have , depending on the situation is the H25's, they are smaller and work with the HR34's.

Thanks for the reply, Jimbo.

From my understanding, the HR24 is a DVR receiver, right? If I only ordered 1 DVR (the HMC) and 3 additional HD receivers, I'm guessing that they won't bring any HR24 receivers? Or would they?

Is the only difference between the H24 and H25 the size?

hezagenius said:
Thanks for the reply, Jimbo.

From my understanding, the HR24 is a DVR receiver, right? If I only ordered 1 DVR (the HMC) and 3 additional HD receivers, I'm guessing that they won't bring any HR24 receivers? Or would they?

Is the only difference between the H24 and H25 the size?

If you ordered the HMC then no, they won't bring you an HDDVR. As for the 24 vs 25 I personally think the 24 is a better receiver and I don't see a lot of issues with MRV dropping from 24's but it's strictly my personal experience with them and seeing them in the field.

I talked to my guy coming and he said he's bringing the HR34 and 3 H25s along with the swm16. He said his office requires him to bring the HR34 with a swm16 if there are at least 2 additional receivers.

which makes no sense honestly

you have 8 tuners so a SWM8 would be sufficient. One line from dish to splitter
The SWM16 requires 4 lines from dish...so either they have no SWM LNB's or he must get paid by the amount of cables he runs ;)

which makes no sense honestly

you have 8 tuners so a SWM8 would be sufficient. One line from dish to splitter
The SWM16 requires 4 lines from dish...so either they have no SWM LNB's or he must get paid by the amount of cables he runs ;)

Yeah makes no sense at all when he told me. He said something about the DECA using one of the 8 channels sometimes. Huh? Sometimes? So they go with a swm16. Not complaining since it would be easy to upgrade later.

the guy who installed my HR34 this past Saturday said unless I was above 8 tuners the SWM8 is all they use on the setup. If the HR34 is the only thing then there is no splitter needed

Before I added a couple of extra HD DVR's I had a HR34, HR24, and a H25 on a SWM SL3 LNB (SWM 8 ). That setup worked fine until I decided to add another HR24 and get a HR21P, and then of course I needed a SWM 16.

digiblur said:
Yeah makes no sense at all when he told me. He said something about the DECA using one of the 8 channels sometimes. Huh? Sometimes? So they go with a swm16. Not complaining since it would be easy to upgrade later.

Sometimes? Never. Deca uses data only so it doesn't take a SWM channel.

Sometimes? Never. Deca uses data only so it doesn't take a SWM channel.

Yeah, that's what I tried to tell him. It's just a frequency on the cable. Nothing to do with one of the 8 on the LNB. If he wants to install a swm16, he's more than welcome to.

digiblur said:
Yeah, that's what I tried to tell him. It's just a frequency on the cable. Nothing to do with one of the 8 on the LNB. If he wants to install a swm16, he's more than welcome to.

And I don't blame you! I installed a 16 at my home as well and I'm only using 6 tuners right now but I like the slimline 3 LNB more then the SWM. I just feel SWM loses signal quicker for some reason

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)