just ordered DTV with DVR, but it isnt real hd? Should i cancel this?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

vegas-steven

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2007
Hi,

directv doesnt actually transmit a real hd signal?

I am new here... I hope that someone can clarify something for me.

I live in las vegas. So far, Cox Cable has all the very basic HD Channels, and promise four new this september 28th.

Problem is, I am very unhappy with the onscreen program guide (it looks about 8 years old, circa 1999) and the DVR is slow, and very clumsy in its functions.

I also dont like my bill. I pay far more for 16 actual hd channels (locals plus basics like Mojo, music hd, discovery hd etc) than i would for directv and all they have to offer.

Today i called directv. and figured out my bill with them would be only $100/month for WAY more HD channels and a better program guide and all.

They told me wednesday sept 19th, 6am about 20 more hd channels arrive. great i said. I ordered, and was happy.

I went online and started to read about hd and directv.

Then i saw something... directv doesnt actually transmit a real hd signal? what the heck is HD lite? What does my cable co broadcast... I have a 60 inch sony sxrd 1080p with an HDMI hookup with cox cable...

So, will i notice a real change on directv? I have about 5 days to cancel the order if i want to.

I want to be able to look at my new HD with directv and be as happy as i am with discovery HD theatre and MOJO HD on my current cox plan.

What the heck is happening? My cable company seems to not be lying about this "better HD Claim" on the website.

So should i invest in DTV? Will I be dissapointed?

Thanks for ANY feedback. I really really appreciate it.

Nobody can really say until the new HD channels launch, but if they match the quality of the Las Vegas HD locals, the era of "HD Lite" is over.

WELCOME!

They are all 99.95% the same, don't be swayed by the negative marketing from any side. Choose based on what channels you want/need vs. the price and you will be happy. Do not be swayed by promo bundled pricing either; always look at "real" pricing; or bottom line pricing.

Can YOu tell a difference in PQ? If the answer is no, id say forget what you read and enjoy HD! IF you can some tweaking may be in order for you set, or its possible you just wouldnt be satisfied with D*.
With the new sat about to go live any day now......the PQ may very well be the best available. Id wait and see

OOPS I see that you havent gotten it yet, teaches me not to read every word. Like the above poster said, go look at a D* feed somewhere and i think you will be pleased.

I have seen cable, directv, and dish network HD feeds on my TV. Cable looks a little better than directv, but the new channels are going to be MPEG 4, so they will treat them much more kindly, and they should look gorgeous. Up until now DirecTV just had very little space to fit the channels they currently have.

They still look very good though. If you're going to save money, plus you get a much better DVR, etc. I think it's worth it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)