Just ordered HR34, have a few questions please

Status
Please reply by conversation.

detroit_fan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 9, 2008
SE Michigan
Well I made my annual ST call and got a really good deal so I ordered upgraded my last SDDVR to a HR34. My first question is will my dish need to be replaced? It was installed in november of 2008, here are a couple pics of it. If it does need to be replaced, can they use the same mount, or will they need to drill new holes in my roof?

Next question, I have an old multi switch, the kind that requires 2 cables running to each DVR. I believe the install will include a new Single Wire Multiswitch, correct? Are they going to be able to use my existing coax line running from my old switch to my tv's, or will all the cabling have to be re-run? How about the coax running from my dish to my multiswitch, will that have to be replaced?

Also, what is this cinema connection kit? I already have my current HDDVR's connected to my router via an ethernet switch, will the just keep that or do something different?

Thanks for any help

001-4.jpg

002-2.jpg

003-2.jpg

yes you will need to upgrade to SWM as the HR34 only works on that

How many tuners will you end up with (better yet what receivers will you have when done)
If its over 8 tuners since you already have 4 lines from the dish they will just replace the switch inside to a SWM16. The existing cabling they can use and you will only need one cable from the switch to the receivers now.

If its under 8 they will switch out the LNB to a SWM model and then use one line into the house to the 8x1 splitter...then one cable to each receiver

The cinema kit allows all DVR's on the setup to access the internet without the need to run separate ethernet cables to each one

yes you will need to upgrade to SWM as the HR34 only works on that

How many tuners will you end up with (better yet what receivers will you have when done)
If its over 8 tuners since you already have 4 lines from the dish they will just replace the switch inside to a SWM16. The existing cabling they can use and you will only need one cable from the switch to the receivers now.

Thanks for the fast reply. I currently have 2 HD-DVR's and 1 SD-DVR, so 6 tuners. After the install I will have HR34, HR21, HR22, so total of 9 tuners.

Is my current dish ok?

Very happy to hear my existing cables will work, was really dreading having to re-run them.

yes your current dish will work fine. They wont even need to change the LNB
assume you currently have this switch right now?
attachment.php

If so they will change it out for this switch
attachment.php

4 lines in
they will hook up one splitter probably for the 2 other DVR's and the HR34 gets its own output on the switch.

The cabling should be fine

Attachments

• $(KGrHqJ,!iQE89KfjUM9BP(V-HhB5!~~60_12.JPG
    $(KGrHqJ,!iQE89KfjUM9BP(V-HhB5!~~60_12.JPG
    15.1 KB · Views: 1,633
  • $T2eC16FHJIQE9qUHrjflBQIYnKsm7w~~60_35.JPG
    $T2eC16FHJIQE9qUHrjflBQIYnKsm7w~~60_35.JPG
    12.6 KB · Views: 1,304
Yep the WB68 is what I currently have. And I do currently have 4 lines coming from dish the WB68. This is much better than I thought. I thought they may have to replace my dish and run new lines in from outside, very relieved that all that is not going to be necessary. I was also worried about running new cables to my receivers since some go through some walls so it's great that they can just use my existing lines.

I really appreciate all the help.

Last edited:
yeah it shouldnt be too difficult for the installer
-swap the 6x8 for the SWM16
-hook up the splitter for the 2 DVR's
-hook DVR's to splitter with one cable
-hook up HR34 to other output on SWM16

the good thing is if you dont have power nearby for the switch they can use one of the extra cables for the power inserter

Here is a diagram of the SWM16 (disregard the right side of the document)
http://manuals.solidsignal.com/SWiM16.pdf

yeah it shouldnt be too difficult for the installer
-swap the 6x8 for the SWM16
-hook up the splitter for the 2 DVR's
-hook DVR's to splitter with one cable
-hook up HR34 to other output on SWM16

the good thing is if you dont have power nearby for the switch they can use one of the extra cables for the power inserter

Here is a diagram of the SWM16 (disregard the right side of the document)
http://manuals.solidsignal.com/SWiM16.pdf

Thanks for the diagram, that helps me understand it. So what is the cinema connection kit? are they going to just want to continue to use my existing ethernet connections or are they going to want to install something else like a wireless adapter?

The cinema kit goes behind the HR34. When I got mine the tech hooked up the cinema kit. Mine was wired. He hooked the ethernet into the CCK and behind the HR34 added a 2 way splitter. One port went to the CCK the other to the HR34. This allowed all the DVR's to access the internet.

After he left I unhooked that splitter and CCK kit and hooked the ethernet directly into the HR34. That is my only receiver

here is some info on the CCK
http://support.directv.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2993

looks like if you use the MRV (whole home) you can't hook it to the internet directly (per that link)

The cinema kit goes behind the HR34. When I got mine the tech hooked up the cinema kit. Mine was wired. He hooked the ethernet into the CCK and behind the HR34 added a 2 way splitter. One port went to the CCK the other to the HR34. This allowed all the DVR's to access the internet.

After he left I unhooked that splitter and CCK kit and hooked the ethernet directly into the HR34. That is my only receiver

here is some info on the CCK
DIRECTV What is the DIRECTV CINEMA

looks like if you use the MRV (whole home) you can't hook it to the internet directly (per that link)

Ok, the CS agent was unable to really tell me what it was. I really appreciate all the help, really looking forward to instal on tuesday!

one other thing (to kinda change the subject) if you get a AM21 for your antenna project (the Toledo locals) note that even though the HR34 has 5 tuners the AM21 only has 2 so you can record up to 2 OTA programs at once (and then 3 sat programs too)

so you could record
5 sat 0 OTA
4 sat 1 OTA
3 sat 2 OTA
maximum at one time

one other thing (to kinda change the subject) if you get a AM21 for your antenna project (the Toledo locals) note that even though the HR34 has 5 tuners the AM21 only has 2 so you can record up to 2 OTA programs at once (and then 3 sat programs too)

so you could record
5 sat 0 OTA
4 sat 1 OTA
3 sat 2 OTA
maximum at one time

Ok thanks for clarifying that. One of the reasons I wanted the HR34 was for the scanning ability. Still trying to get the antenna project figured out. So many projects, so little time lol

What is the dish, lnb combo that detroit_fan has, called?
I have the same dish and switch he has. If I get the swith you suggested and get a HR34 and HR24 and want whole home capabilities what else would I need?
The house has two cables to each location and is hardwired to the internet switch in each location.
Can I use one cable for the HR34 and the other for the power supply and the other port on the switch for the 24?

If you are going to get Whole Home DVR multi-room viewing,one thing that you'll need for your HR21 & HR22 is a DECA Adapter for each of those receivers. It will either look like this DIRECTV Ethernet Coax Adapter DECA (DECA1MR01) from Solid Signal or this DIRECTV DECA II Ethernet to Coax Adapter DECA (DCA2SR0) from Solid Signal & SHOULD be supplied & installed by the DTV tech when he sets up your HR34 & SWM 16. The DECA Adapter will allow your HR21 & HR22 to be connected to the internet via the coaxial cable. If your HR34 is close enough to your router so that you can directly hook it up with an ethernet cable,then you shouldn't need a Cinema Connection Kit. Your internet connection to your HR21 & HR22 will run from the HR34 via coaxial cable,with just your HR34 needing to be hooked up to your router via ethernet cable.

Well my install took a LONG time, about 3 hours to be exact. All the playlists are sharing, but the network is not working. The installer said it was probably because the HR34 did an update(0x57c) and to just keep trying it later. I verified the Ethernet is working ok by plugging tit into my laptop, so not sure why the HR34 won't connect.

Also, is there any way to turn off the front lights or blue ring on the 34 like you can the HR2x?

Last edited:
I have a little gray box he installed behind my tv. it has 2 ports- "Signal to IRD" and "Power to SWM".
He has my ethernet cable plugged into the cinema connection kit, and the coax coming out of the CCK goes to the "Signal to IRD" input, is that the correct set up? Seems like my network should be able to make a connection now but still nothing.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts