Just ordered my new computer

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I may have gotten a defective memory module in the upgrade pair that I ordered. I called the company and they gave me an RMA # to do an exchange but I've decided to be sure by running a memory diagnostic on the modules first. I was surprised to learn that the iMac will boot and run with a single memory module installed.

I think you lose some memory efficiency or some such if you don't use a pair. There was some article about that a year or so ago, but I didn't know the iMac could do it either.

I'm sure you lose a lot of performance but it really helps to isolate a memory problem. It's starting to look like maybe a module wasn't seated well since they appear to work fine individually.

Edit: It seems the two modules both work separately but won't work together. I guess I'll be using that RMA number...

Last edited:
mperdue said:
Edit: It seems the two modules both work separately but won't work together. I guess I'll be using that RMA number...
Chances are that they are a different DRAM type. DRAM doesn't like to be mixed.

Where did you order the RAM from? I've had good experience with Other World Computing.

Not to hijack your thread, but I just got my mom swapped to her first Mac yesterday, a Mac Mini just like what my wife and I use. We went to the Apple Store near where she lives and got her a good deal on one (they price matched Best Buy). My stepdad is still skeptical as he uses a Windows 7 PC for his gaming, and all of his friends have tried to tell him how bad Macs were.

Chances are that they are a different DRAM type. DRAM doesn't like to be mixed.

This made a lot of sense to me so I decided to try running the memory tests with only the new memory installed. So far, it's working fine. I guess I'll just order another 8GB and be done with it.

I still have to run a couple of Windows programs as well but Parallels makes it pretty painless.

The only downside is Parallels adds Windows icons FOR EVERY SINGLE Windows app in the VM, and OSX then includes every one of them in the launch pad. Took me a while to clean it all out. I just did not want most of them cluttering my nice display. If I were to do a new VM, I would strip that thing down from the beginning and basically not install 90% of the windows apps.

I don't have an ergonomic keyboard, but I have a Macally USB keyboard that is decent. They have a bluetooth one too. I also have an OS9 G5 keyboard that has great tactile feel. I can't stand the current Mac keyboards. There are a few ergonomic keyboards designed for mac See: Amazon.com: mac ergonomic keyboard

Are you getting a magic trackpad for your setup? I would not use a mac without one. I have one at home and one in the office. The magic mouse I can take or leave, but the trackpad is essential.

i love the magical mouse. i tried the trackpad but my arthritic fingers didn't like it!

i also love the wireless keyboard which came with my imac too!

Last edited:
The only downside is Parallels adds Windows icons FOR EVERY SINGLE Windows app in the VM, and OSX then includes every one of them in the launch pad. Took me a while to clean it all out. I just did not want most of them cluttering my nice display. If I were to do a new VM, I would strip that thing down from the beginning and basically not install 90% of the windows apps.

If you change your VM mode to full screen or window, then this problem doesn't exist.

If you change your VM mode to full screen or window, then this problem doesn't exist.

No - it exists because Parallels created application shortcuts to every windows app in the VM, and then when the machine upgraded to Lion, each of those short-cuts became icons in Launch Pad. the only way to avoid it is to instal Parallels so it does not create the OSX short-cuts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts