Just picked up a Samsung Galaxy II S from ATT

mogera

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Apr 13, 2006
Coconut Creek, Florida
As a long time Blackberry user I didn't know what to expect from an Android phone. I am pleasantly surprised although my research didn't quite prepare me for how large this phone is. It is VERY light and extremely fast!! Me likee!

Received mine today, turned in my Samsung Infuse which I used for a week till the S2 came out. Pretty similar to the Infuse although the S2 seems a little faster with the dual core and the screen is a little smaller. The Infuse battery was the worse even with lite use it lasted maybe 8-10 hrs. So hopefully with 2.3 and the smaller screen it will last a little longer with the S2. FYI Att no longer gives you 30 days to return the phone it is only 15 days, not sure if this is something new but I remember it being 30 days at one point, surprised when I re upped my contract for 2 yrs it was only 15 days to return the phone for any reason.

Received mine today, turned in my Samsung Infuse which I used for a week till the S2 came out. Pretty similar to the Infuse although the S2 seems a little faster with the dual core and the screen is a little smaller. The Infuse battery was the worse even with lite use it lasted maybe 8-10 hrs. So hopefully with 2.3 and the smaller screen it will last a little longer with the S2. FYI Att no longer gives you 30 days to return the phone it is only 15 days, not sure if this is something new but I remember it being 30 days at one point, surprised when I re upped my contract for 2 yrs it was only 15 days to return the phone for any reason.

i think they changed to 15 days when verizon went to 14
they are tired of people phone hopping

I am very interested in hearing more about this phone. Depending on what the iPhone announcement is on Tuesday will finalize my upgrade decision. Right now it is between the iPhone and the Galaxy II S.

I was waiting for this phone for a long time, but now I'm going to wait on an LTE phone later this year.

FYI... Amazon has this phone for $150 on an upgrade.

csabec said:
If you need any info on the S2 in a couple days let me know. Or if you need to know anything in particular about the phone.

Just your general opinion on the phone. Battery life and such. I am a current android user so I wouldn't need any OS related info.

My impression so far is great. TouchWiz 4 is so much better then the previous version I had which is 3 I believe. TouchWiz 4.0 feels like a more compelete UI then 3.0 and the visual touches they have made to this version also improves the overall feel of the UI. Of course so far this phone hasn't had any lag what so ever, I thought maybe getting this phone as it came out would be a bad idea, but no unexplained lockups, no unlocking problems nothing, has to be one of the fastest phones out there.

The call quality is on par with a high end device still not a great speaker but you can hear everything and little to no background noise. Taking pictures with this phone is amazing one of the better non Nokia phones I have seen and HD 1080 video comes out clear, the audio is off on a couple recordings but it might just be the way I was holding it or using it, so it could be a retarded camera person (me! lol).

Kiles Air is a great Samsung App that is pre installed at least on the att one, and it makes hooking the phone up to your home network easy, less then a minute. The phone has NFC built in although it doesn't have it enabled yet so when an update comes out it should be working.

A couple things I didn't like, the wireless antenna should be better, when you walk into a store or a bar, the bars seem to drop down to one or two never lost a signal yet or dropped a call, but its only a matter of time, good ole att at its best though. Also within my home (first floor, router on second floor) the wifi drops down to one bar (closer to the router of course the signal went up), not sure if its me or not but I had the same issue the week I had the Infuse so it could be a router signal rather then a issue with the phone, haven't tested it out at Wifi Hotspot yet but will soon and see if it happens. The design is pretty sleek but Samsung uses plastic all over, I have a Zaggs Shield on this phone and did drop it the other day and nothing happened except my heart rate jumped to near death levels.

Overall I have to say I would actually keep this phone for 2 years. The battery life seems to be improved over the Infuse I had but that wasn't hard to do but lasts the day until I get home and still has some life left. Heavy use I got about 9 hours and with lite use the other day I would say it could have kept going for 15-16 hours.

I also got a galaxy s2 yesterday from my local att store!This is my first smart phone but from what i have seen so far its very fast,easy to use and has many features on it.I will post more after using it more.Cant wait to show it off at work tommorrow.:D

I too was waiting for the iPhone 5 announcement, but after hearing it was just the 4S went with the Galaxy S2 from Sprint. Love this phone and love the size. I am VERY happy!! Kiles Air is a very cool app, and typing on this phone is a dream. I can't believe how fast it is, and I can just sit and stare at the Super AMOLED screen it's so beautiful. I think this will be a 2 year phone.

I was At&t inside the local Wal-Mart today and seen the S2 there for $148.88, I asked the rep if this was an At&t special and he told me no that Wal-Mart can set the prices on certain phones. So if anyone is looking for this phone and have a Wal-Mart wireless then make sure you get it at the cheaper price from them, good deal at $199 even a better deal at $148.88.

I went to the AT&T Store today to play with one, man that is one LIGHT phone, and HUGE next to my Atrix...I noticed it was much faster though, Sammie did a good job with this one. But I think I am going to wait to see what the new Nexus (Prime?) brings. If I am paying full retail might as well have the latest & greatest.

Decided to repost on this thread because the last 2-3 weeks I was experiencing some issues with my GS2. If I would have a phone conversation over 20 mins or so it would get warm to the touch right underneath the camera were the sim card sits. Got so warm a few times I thought that I should pull the battery out instead of frying the phone. Samsung did admit that there was a ongoing issue with a handful of SGH-I777 that were sent out but said that I would have to send the phone to them to get it repaired and wait for about a month to get it fixed, so I called At&t and after a couple calls and 2 hours of transferring me around they are sending out a new handset. At&t was trying to say that overheating was not covered under the manufacturers warranty, the local Wal-Mart wireless assiocate was a great help and called At&t and helped me get a new phone because all At&t was willing to do was send me a new battery. Still a great phone even after all this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)