Status
Please reply by conversation.

Wms-Stargate

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Dec 9, 2016
East Coast
DSCN6814.JPG

I have been waiting on parts for my other dish. So I figured i would play with my receiver and a Winegard Dd-2076. Right now i am watching some kind of religious program in channel edit mode.

I can't figure out what to do next. It's seems I am stuck in edit mode?

The receiver is a X2 M1HD+

Thanks to all of you guys here. This is a snap of my first channel!

I am so stoked even tho I have no idea what these cats are talking about.

Looks like your lnb LO is off by 1000. You should correct it so pointing will be easier. Probably done in antennae setup? Looks like 9750 LO should be 10750?, one possibility.

Catamount

Reactions: KE4EST
Just an FYI for you Bill. It's OK that you know and use the satellite name, but, the majority of us don't memorize them because they are always changing. Example, AMC6 just recently moved from 72W to 67W. Same satellite, but completely different location. Since I've been doing FTA I'd bet there have been more than a dozen NEW satellites put up, all with different names but for the most part satellite locations are and have been the same.

So as a courtesy to others here (who are lazy like me), in the future please always list the LOCATION with the name. :oldwink

And wasn't it a GOOD feeling to lock your first transponder?

Reactions: TRG and bigg t
Looks like your lnb LO is off by 1000. You should correct it so pointing will be easier. Probably done in antennae setup? Looks like 9750 LO should be 10750?, one possibility.

Catamount

I am not sure where you see that figure in that snap. Are you looking at the 10736 / V / 8333? If so and because my math sucks how am I off 1000?

I set the Lo to 10750 in the setup menu. Which is correct for the Maverick MK1-PLL. However I was playing with 10736 / V / 8333 figure as well. It seems to toggle to a bunch of different numbers with no rhyme or reason to me at the time. I have a feeling I am going to learn something here. Which is great!

Mta mux is the strongest ku transponder on that satellite.

Titanium wanted me to try that bird first. I think he said it was the highest bird in the arc for my location? I read later on in a few threads that SES 2 was a hard bird to hit??? IDK

I could only get about 10 channels max and then it went back around to English. Out of the ten channels or so it was all religious of some sort that I'm not familiar with.

Reactions: Titanium
Congrats!

82w is quite easy to lock with the ABC News feeds and the MTA International. Both are very strong transponders. The PBS channels can require more precise alignment and maybe the DS-2076 dish is too small. The MTA international transponder is 11737 V 8333. If you delete the transponders from SES2 then do a new blind scan with the correct LO setting of 10750, the channels will be logged on the correct frequency.

Now that you found your first satellite, work west and down the arc finding other satellites. Make sure that the LO frequency is set to 10750 for each satellite and select or enter an active transponder so the receiver has something to lock onto and display a Signal Quality reading! www.sathint.com is a great resource. Remember, KU frequencies for your set-up will be between 11.7 and 12.2GHz. Frequencies outside of this range will not be received with your KU set-up.

Just an FYI for you Bill. It's OK that you know and use the satellite name, but, the majority of us don't memorize them because they are always changing. Example, AMC6 just recently moved from 72W to 67W. Same satellite, but completely different location. Since I've been doing FTA I'd bet there have been more than a dozen NEW satellites put up, all with different names but for the most part satellite locations are and have been the same.

So as a courtesy to others here (who are lazy like me), in the future please always list the LOCATION with the name. :oldwink

And wasn't it a GOOD feeling to lock your first transponder?

I am working on all the lingo LG, I promise man! Now here is what Titanium posted...

The satellite closest to true south (the highest satellite for your location Brokenburg, VA) is 77w, but there isn't any FTA KU on that satellite. I would aim for SES2 at 87w for your first satellite as it is near the center of the arc and will be easiest to locate. Use Dishpointer to find the compass reading, elevation and skew setting based on your location:
http://www.dishpointer.com/

Your approximate location information for aiming to the SES2 satellite
Satellite Data Dish Setup Data
Latitude: 38.1456°
Longitude: -77.7192°
Name: 87W SES-2
Elevation: 44.7°
Azimuth (true): 194.8°
Azimuth (magn.): 205.0°
LNB Skew [?]: 11.6°

Aim the dish to approximate compass reading 205 degrees. Identify a landmark in the far distance that aligns with this compass reading (tree, chimney, etc.)
Standing in front of the dish rotate the LNBF in the clamp CCW approximately 12 degrees and slide it forward/aft to the centered position. Slightly tighten the clamp.
With the straight edge on the vertical axis of the dish, set the elevation to approximately 20 degrees tilted back from vertical, which is 70 degrees per your angle finder (90 - 70 = 20). Here is the math: Satellite elevation angle - Dish offset angle = Angle measured on the face of the dish. Slight;y tighten the securing bolt.

So I set the dish up like he said. Now the interesting part. This was only half of his instructions. As i don't have a meter yet ect. Just bare minimum and i kept running back and fourth into the house looking at the signal on the TV. That was a pain in the butt as i don't know how many times back and forth I went. Anyway I got something like 75 signal and no quality whatsoever. I gave up and hit the scan button. Those are the channels it came up with.

This btw was me just playing. As I kinda hacked my little dish into place by my OTA. It made sense to me as I was sitting here twiddling my thumbs anyway. I said what the heck is the worst that can happen? I had fun messing with it all that's for-sure! Plus trust me man it was a great feeling to be able to pull a signal out of thin blue air! It was really, all in all pretty darn cool.

Here is the rest of Titanium instructions that I didn't follow. I got a little excited lol and forgot about the rest of it.

Select SES2 KU in the install menu. Set the LNB LO frequency to match the KU LNB LO frequency (either 10750 or 9750/10600). Set LNB voltage to auto (13/18vdc or Horizontal/Vertical). select transponder or enter transponder: Frequency - 11736 / Polarity - Vertical / Symbol Rate 8333. See www.sathint.com for a list of satellites, transponders and services.

While watching the Signal Quality meter reading on a TV sitting beside the dish, SLOWLY pan the dish East 15 degrees and West 15 degrees from the landmark. The Signal Quality reading will jump when the satellite signal is detected and locked. If no Signal Quality reading is detected, increase or decrease the dish elevation in 1 degree increments and repeat the SLOW East/West pan while watching the Signal Quality meter reading.

Once the Signal Quality has been detected and optimized, rotate the LNBF skew slightly and slide towards or away from the reflector to further optimize. Snug the clamp to secure the LNBF.

Perform a Blind Scan type satellite scan for all FTA channels. When the scan is complete, exit the install menu and enjoy watching the programming that you just found!

So as I was saying I skipped all the rest of these very good instructions. As i couldn't get a channel i wanted to watch I figured i would go back out and thread the needle again for 97W Galaxy 19. I knew it was going to be close but again i was playing with this new little Winegard DS-2076 I bought and shouldn't have.

Here are some snaps of me threading the needle so to speak.

DSCN6818.JPG DSCN6820.JPG

So yea not a lot of room to work with. I figured that shooting under the tree's I could get something. Anyway i went on to try 97W nothing. Then i tried 83W nothing. As i was saying I kinda hacked in that dish on that 4x4. It was all ready their so why not have a little fun. Yea the 4x4 was a lil loose but right by my OTA so it made sense to me to play a bit. It started getting dark by then so I packed it all up.

I have been trying to get my 39ku dish fixed as it had a lnb mount that is too large for the Maverick. I tried 1 1/2 pvc S40 and I still had some slop. So I ordered a 12" nipple of 1 1/2 pvc S80 off eBay for 6 bucks it still hasn't got here. Sigh...

I ordered another receiver in the wee hours of the morning today along with all kinds of other goodies. 2 Panset 4x1's, 2 diplexers, 2 different 3 pos multi brackets, cheap meter & another lnb.

It takes time...

So in answer to your post! 87W

Last edited:
Congrats!

82w is quite easy to lock with the ABC News feeds and the MTA International. Both are very strong transponders. The PBS channels can require more precise alignment and maybe the DS-2076 dish is too small. The MTA international transponder is 11737 V 8333. If you delete the transponders from SES2 then do a new blind scan with the correct LO setting of 10750, the channels will be logged on the correct frequency.

Now that you found your first satellite, work west and down the arc finding other satellites. Make sure that the LO frequency is set to 10750 for each satellite and select or enter an active transponder so the receiver has something to lock onto and display a Signal Quality reading! www.sathint.comis a great resource. Remember, KU frequencies for your set-up will be between 11.7 and 12.2GHz. Frequencies outside of this range will not be received with your KU set-up.

I will pay better attention Brian on the next run. Thanks for the tips on getting me straight!

Brian I think my limits are in the ball park of 80.8W to 97W or so if I set up the small dishes away from the road. PBS on KU is not going to happen as I have too many trees of the 55-75 ft variety in the way up front. Plus the fact that that bird sits really really low in the sky based on my limited knowledge. However i do have that BUD sitting here. So maybe all is not lost on PBS. As i was looking on C-band I seen what looks like PBS again. Still not to sure if i can hit that yet or not but I know it's their. I just haven't had the time to nail it all down yet. I have been way to busy reading and reading...

Here are some shots up close to the road. They knocked down at least 30 acres across the street from me. I wish they would have knocked it all down now err. Anyway maybe 80.8W to 97W or so from the center of these pictures and this really kills me i know. Sure i can get a little more if I place the dishes up on the road.

DSCN6821.JPG DSCN6823.JPG DSCN6824.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Titanium
Congrats!

Now that you found your first satellite, work west and down the arc finding other satellites. Make sure that the LO frequency is set to 10750 for each satellite and select or enter an active transponder so the receiver has something to lock onto and display a Signal Quality reading! www.sathint.com is a great resource. Remember, KU frequencies for your set-up will be between 11.7 and 12.2GHz. Frequencies outside of this range will not be received with your KU set-up.

You must mean 87.0°w?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)