Just signed on with DirecTV!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Speedwagon

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 30, 2004
After much debate about what I should do, I decided to take the free standard reciever offer from DirecTV. I was a bit leary of going out and buying an HD reciever without experiencing the service first. So I figure I can use the standard setup for a month, if I like it, I'll go buy a new reciever(the Hughes one looks mighty nice). I do believe the antenna is the same, so all I need to do is buy the reciever and upgrade to the HD service pack.

Hopefully I will be another happy camper with DirecTV.

On a side note, I've been reading posts about how much bandwidth they need for HD programming. Has anyone hooked up a spec anny to their dish to see how much bandwidth the channels take up? We use them at work(I do satellite communications for the army), and was thinking of borrowing one after I get hooked up to have a look-see.

welcome to DirecTV! I know you will be happy with your new system! you actully made a good choice getting the basic receiver first, because then you can get the $99 upgrade to HD deal if you know what you are doing. yes the antenna is same, but you may need a bigger one depending on how strong your locals are on the digital feeds. do you have an HDTV? do you have any HD service on it now? have you checked to see if your local channels even broadcast in HD/digital yet?

Yes I have an HDTV, no I'm not getting any current HD service, and I think my locals(DC and Baltimore) only broadcast in digital, not HD, though I could be wrong. I'm only about 20-30 miles from downtown DC and downtown Baltimore.

Ahh.. sweet. So will I be getting those via satellite, or do I need an OTA to recieve them in HD?

dishrich said:
Sorry, at least for awhile anyway, you need an OTA antenna to get locals in HD.

That's fine by me. Leaves more space on the satty for them to put other channels in HD. I'm plenty close that I shouldn't have any problems getting in the HD stations.

Speedwagon said:
That's fine by me. Leaves more space on the satty for them to put other channels in HD. I'm plenty close that I shouldn't have any problems getting in the HD stations.

Don't be so sure about that, I'm only 7.9 miles away from my local FOX station, and 8.1 miles away from my local NBC, and can't pick up either of their digital signals.

~Alan

I'm about 50 miles (or more) from all my stations - and I picked up 10 digital/HD stations. When the D* installers came out to upgrade me to HD last week they didn't figure I'd get a single station, even with their best antenna. I'm using whatever antenna the electrician installed when we built the house. Fortunately I'm located on a hill facing the stations. I suppose it's all about topographic location and distance.

savethefamily said:
I'm about 50 miles (or more) from all my stations - and I picked up 10 digital/HD stations. When the D* installers came out to upgrade me to HD last week they didn't figure I'd get a single station, even with their best antenna. I'm using whatever antenna the electrician installed when we built the house. Fortunately I'm located on a hill facing the stations. I suppose it's all about topographic location and distance.

Yeah, not to mention watts they're putting out, and how important your geographical location is to them. The only time they put news about the county I live in is when something bad happens...when something good happens, they could care less.

~Alan

I feel violated!!

Good lord! I just had my DirecTV installed. When I called to order, they said that getting it mounted on a pole would be extra. Ok, I figured maybe $20-40 to get a pole put in the ground. But NO! $90 to dig a hole(not even a foot deep!), put some ready mix concrete in, and drive the pole into it! Ninety friggin dollars! Had I known that, I would have put the pole there ahead of time myself!

As for the service itself, seems ok. He grounded it to the house ground(water spigot that was close by), and since I watched him do everything, I now know how to do it myself next time. Got the Samsung 300 reciever(no surround sound unfortunetaly), and the KTI antenna. So looks like I will need to upgrade the antenna when I want to go with HD now.

Well now, a call to DirecTV just got me a switch to the triple LNB antenna for free. They are going to come out and swap it with my current single LNB for no charge at all. Makes me a bit happier now. Still kinda angry about the $90 fee, but at least I watched him and learned how they do the install. :D

Don't bother to upgrade to the HD package. It's really not worth it unless you just can't live without 6 HD channels (1 of which plays the same crap over and over (Discovery HD-I swear to god if I see another Mars lander space update I'm going to put a bullet in my azz)( 2 of the other 5 channels aren't even in HD half the time<SHOH/HBOH>).....

The last three channels... Hell, you have to PAY to watch one of them (a PPV HD channel (and most of the movies I've PPV'd aren't even high def.. They are upconverted Standard def))..

And the last two HD channels..... Oh how lovely they are.... Say, do you like watching "Trading Places" 24 hours a day? Well, unless you do, don't bother tuning to HDNet.. They are constantly remodeling someone's house in HD.

I swear to god.. It's This Old House on steroids with a gay (hey, no offense, I've got gay friends! They love the show [FACT!]) twist.

The last channel isn't Toooooooooooooooooooooo terrible other than the fact they play one good movie every 2-3 weeks.. That's HDNet movies... (This one is of course an OPINION so it is arguable unlike the rest of the FACTS I've stated here...) Different folks like different movies.

Is it worth the upgrade fee, then the additional $10 a month, then the additional movie packages to get the HD (HBOH/SHOH) movie channels? Not no, but hell no.

Voom is looking more and more enticing since they extended their no-install/no contract deal back until 7/5/04....................

Cowboy up DirecTV or loose one or your original HiDef Customers/Guinea Pigs/Biotches.

I've been taken advantage of to long and fed to much BS about how superior your technology is. I want results. I want proof!

I hear all this talk about how DirecTV is the better provider, better equipment, "Far more bandwidth," et cetera...

It's been 5 years since they've had HD. They've added 2 more channels in the last 3 years.

I'm no hater, but just really disgusted with their lackadaisical/complacent attitude they've taken towards adding HD content.

I agree with a lot of what ED says, however, I just canned Voom last night. There are too many PQ issues and the content is not that great.

Also last night I acquired a HTL-HD STB and after tweaking my TV out I am love it! ESPN and Discovery are my tow main HD favs anyway. I like HDNet when they have NHL hockey on too, but the Avs are alwasy blocked on there.

Speedwagon - I have had D* for the better part of the last 6 years. I have been very happy with them overall and pleased with thier SD programming but question the 10.99/mo I spend on the HD Package, I feel it is worth about 2.99/mo... until football starts then it is worth $299.00/Sunday! Direc has said there will be like 7 HD games a week for SundayTicket holders this year!

I am a stickler for quality and D has the best thing going. I cancelled my E* after only 3 months and piad out the contract :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts