SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
Source

Wed Dec 29, 1:50 PM ET Technology - NewsFactor

Jay Wrolstad, www.data-storage-today.com

Japanese electronics giant JVC has unveiled a Blu-ray/DVD combination disk designed to ease the transition from traditional DVD content to next-generation high definition video.

• Thomson To Support Both HD DVD and Blu-ray
• Disney Gives Nod to Blu-ray DVD Format
• DVD Standards War Could Affect Data Storage
• Blu-Ray: Not Over Until It's Over
• Studios Support Toshiba's DVD Format
Newsletter Subscription

The new disk supports both types of content, has a storage capacity of 33.5 GB, and uses a triple-layer structure, including an outside Blu-ray disk (BD) layer and inner DVD dual layer, based on JVC's high-performance reflective film technology.

With that much storage, JVC envisions releases that combine video content with commercials, music or games on a single disk. The company is also working on a combo disk with 58.5 GB storage capacity.

Competing Products

The JVC product follows closely on the heels of an announcement by Toshiba and Memory-Tech that they have developed a DVD that also can play on both existing DVD machines and the forthcoming players using the HD-DVD format.

The Toshiba-Memory-Tech disks hold 4.7 GB in the current format and 15 GB in high resolution.

JVC said users can purchase a single disk that can be reproduced at high-definition BD video quality on a large-screen home theater system, or play back the disk at standard-definition DVD video quality on a smaller TV set, a home PC or laptop computer.

Users who do not have a Blu-ray disk player can view the video content at standard definition using their current DVD player, and play the same content at high definition resolution when upgrading to a Blu-ray disk player.

Easing the Transition

For consumers, the new combo discs eliminate the potential headache of having to own two types of DVD players: Both will be able to read such disks, though only the newer equipment can take advantage of the higher-resolution technology.

Still, there may be some confusion among buyers who face competing high-definition video formats. The Blu-ray disk format was jointly developed by a number of leading consumer electronics and PC companies, including Dell, Hitachi, HP, LG, Mitsubishi, Panasonic, Pioneer, Philips, Samsung, Sharp, Sony, TDK and Thomson. HD DVD was developed and is supported by Toshiba and NEC.

Each camp is lining up support among entertainment content providers, and neither has yet established a clear advantage.

Yankee Group analyst Aditya Kishore told NewsFactor that the JVC combo disk helps the Blu-ray cause by providing DVDs that are "future-proof."

"It makes sense to offer consumers a disk that plays both current DVDs and Blu-ray content, because it will generate more interest in high-definition technology," he said.

Ongoing Battle

The first new DVD players using these advanced formats are expected to hit stores by late 2005.

Kishore says the jury is still out as to which standard will win in the end; in fact, he believes the two will continue to jostle for the lead position for some time.

"They both have sufficient backing to continue to move with the market," he said, adding that it is likely that manufacturers might start producing DVD players that support both formats. "My expectation is that eventually the cost differential will come down, so it will not be that much more expensive."

Wake me in 5 years and maybe I'll buy a player with the winning format, but I won't lose any sleep over it. Frankly, when I compare HD movies as presented on HDNMV or PPV-HD to the same movie on a current DVD played on my system, which increments some upscaling, I don't see enough difference to warrant dropping another $500 to $1,000 on a HD-DVD player and replace my DVD film library with $30 to $40 a pop HD versions of my favorite movies.

I predict the HD-DVD will not be the roaring success that DVD was and that VHS was before it. The improvement is too small an increment to get people excited with their money. Sort of like the music market hasn't accepted the small incremental improvement that SACDs and the other format provide over CDs. Folks are happy enough with CD quality sound and even the lesser MP3 quality sound.

I kind of disagree. I stopped buying DVDs because the ones I compared with the HD version there was a clear difference between the resolution. DVDs are ok but when compare to the HD release the HD release is a winner. I don't even see DVDs anymore because I do not like the way it looks anymore. That's just my opinion. As soon as HD DVD is in the market, yes it will be expensive in the beginning but it will come down in price as well.

Hi Sean,

What is the native scan rate of your display and technology? What DVD player at what scan rate?

Most folks are not seeing a huge difference between SD-DVD and broadcast HD so I wonder if your experience may be an equipment/setup issue. That said maybe you are simply picking more nits than others...

?

Just want to make sure you are getting maximum performance from the SD-DVD format. ;)

Thanks

Must be your DVD/TV set up Sean. I'm viewing HDTV via E* on a 50" Sammy DLP via DVI connection. My primary DVD watching is via a Sammy DVD-931, sometimes via DVI w/ up-conversion, sometimes via 480i component w/ the up-conversion occurring in my Sammy DLP. Either way, good DVDs look similar to the resolution I see for HD movies on HDNET, HDNMV, TNTHD, and HD-PPV. I also have a new JVC DR-MV1S DVD recorder/player, but I have yet to find a setup with it that yields the DVD PQ I get with the 931. So, equipment makes a big difference.

I have two HDTV and LCD at 768p and a DLP at 720p. I have the HS2 DVD progressive scan connected to my LCD display and marantz DVD progressive player for the DLP. I have compared DVD's that I own such as the Good, the Bad and the Ugly with the HD version and there difference was quite obvious. The HD transfered looked more vibrand and with more definition that the DVD. I also compared the Lord of the Rings triology on DVD and the HD transfers and it was even more obvious that the HD transfers was a winner.

I am not saying that the DVD progressive player does not have a good resolution but when it comes to HD signal that I get from either Dish, Cable or VOOM of what I have been able to compare, the HD transfer has always looked better. I do not know how the HD-DVD would look but if it looks anything close to what I have seen, I would buy the HD DVD instead. Just my opinion.

You are not bypassing the internal scaler which is why the difference seems so much greater to you.

For the Sammy you need a DVI enabled DVD Player and feed it 720P. The Sammy DVD-931 as Carl mentioned is a good example. Try one and let us know if you experienced a difference.

The 768 LCD should also show improvement but you may not get past the internal scaler unless you feed it 768 which you won't find on one of those DVD players. That said you seem impressed by HD so feeding it 720P from a DVD should yield the same results. For this display an external scaler such as the Lumagen or DVDO would be worthy of consideration.

In either case these displays should be fed 720P for the least amount of artifacts, set your receiver accordingly.

Richard,

you are probably right about the DVI DVD since I do not have one of those and I haven't had the pleasure to test one of them. All I have are 480p DVDs. I forgot to mention that I also feed both of the TVs 720p coming out of the stbs. My sets did not like 1080i very well. Now, a question- these are upscaling DVDs. Wouldn't the new HD DVDs do the same scaling and those that have invested in a library of DVD's wouldn't feel that they wasted their money? Isn't this why Toshiba is pushing for HD DVD as backwards compatibility?

My whole reason for not buying an upscaler DVD was that in the long run all upscaler (DVDs) and 480p DVD would eventually be replaced by the new format hardware. I think there are advantages to the HD DVD hardware, not only from the point of view of playing HD DVDs (or regular DVDs) but from the point of view of being able to have an HD DVD recorder where one can archive HD content, which DVD recorders can not do now (not simply, at least).

I understand from where you guys are coming from with the upscaling but at this point I would rather wait for the HD DVD format rather than spending anymore on DVD or DVD hardware. This was why I stop collecting DVDs. I do have a large library as well but at this point (given my progressive dvd players), I rather watch the HD transfers.

I forgot to mention that I also feed both of the TVs 720p coming out of the stbs. My sets did not like 1080i very well.

That is to be expected although there a few rare birds out there that you cannot bypass the internal scaler and 1080I actually has less artifacts but you still have more artifacts than you would if the scaler could be bypassed. Always start with the rule of thumb, match the native scan rate of the display.

Isn't this why Toshiba is pushing for HD DVD as backwards compatibility?

That is in reference to manufacturing a DVD, not the player. Red laser can use the same manufacturing process while Blue Ray will require retooling.

My whole reason for not buying an upscaler DVD was that in the long run all upscaler (DVDs) and 480p DVD would eventually be replaced by the new format hardware.

While all true it is expected these players will start out at about a $1000 although Sony has threatened a first release at $500... We'll see...

In the meantime you have nearly a year or more of new releases that you could be watching at a higher quality which will not be available as HD any time soon. You could pick up a used DVI enabled player for $100-200 and new ones are $200-300. Waveform Review just checked out the Zenith DVB318 via component with some positive results. A full DVI review should be coming soon. Next on the slate is a Sony 480P DVD player for those with native 480P displays.

HDTV Magazine's Waveform and Waveform Review (subscribers only)
http://www.hdlibrary.com/viewforum.php?f=51
http://www.hdlibrary.com/viewforum.php?f=62

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)