GEOSATpro Ka band

dsmith0429

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 12, 2013
Lake Placid, FL
I noticed the description for this receiver stated:
  • LNB support for LO frequencies 0 through KA-band 18050MHz, Universal and Stacked in any combination or mix.
Anyone know which Ka-band LNBs are compatible, and if I need any special DiSEqC switches or adapters to connect along with the KU and C-band LNBs? Can an old SWM 5 LNB be repurposed for this?

Thanks!

Only ka band lnb out there stock is directv 3 lnb setup everything else is from Europe. Not much on ka unless its pay tv but it wouldn't be that bad to check anyway.

Reactions: dsmith0429
Sounds like I have some experimentation to do :) I would think I should be able to receive the free preview channels, not looking to get anything illegal. I know the Ka-band LNBs have to be more precisely aligned as their band is narrower... I'm thinking I can use an old DirecTV receiver I have that supports triple lnb (101W, 110W, 119W) to align, then try to connect that LNB to the GEOSATpro and see what happens... THANKS everyone for their replies. I'll post my results ASAP. Still waiting on my receiver to arrive, should be here this week...

If you use the 3 lnb you need a b band converter cause you have to change frequencies for reciever to pick them up.

you do not need a B-band converter if you want to point at a single Ka satellite.

the B-band converter comes on with a 22KHz signal to up-convert the signal from the 103w location from B-band (250-750 MHz) into the high half of L-band
L-band is 950-2150MHz, it's what your receiver is looking for on the input.

with a sl3 or sl5, 22KHz off, the 99w Ka signal comes through on the high half of L-band
so if you just use the 99w part of the lnb you are fine.

now as far as 99w and 103w go, directv is not DVB, its DSS, afaik there are no fta receivers that will work with it even if there was stuff itc. (with the possible exception of some computer tuner cards)
i don't believe there are any Ka signals carrying video on any other satellites over N.A. at this time, but it's bound to happen sooner or later.

The DirecTV KA uses proprietary form of DVBS2 8PSK and will not lock on a standard FTA STB. The B-band convertor would be used to receive KA high band as the IF frequency is below the typical 950-2150 tuner IF range. I understand that it may be possible to receive unencrypted DirecTV KA using a tuner with a Broadcom chipset. Not sure which or if any DirecTV KA channels are unencrypted.

The only KA signals that you will run across are from the satellite Internet services. These carriers will lock on a DVBS2 STB until the coding changes. I did catch a DVBS2 color bars a few years ago on 107w. It was only up for a few days. I haven't tried any KA testing for the past two years, but I understand that there have been a few temporary signals up during trade shows for proof of concept.

Edit: typing as Ynnedibanez posted.

Reactions: dsmith0429
Unless I missed something here,you're not going to get anything from directv on a dvbs/s2 receiver,different systems.
I'm not looking for anything from directv, just anything on the ka-band, which apparently is not much in the USA. I did see Ka-band specific LNBs for sale on several sites, that were originally intended for the European market, and I'm just looking to experiment more with my receiver. Thanks for the reply!

Maybe by next year we can get some ka band lnbs over here from Europe wonder amiko is coming up with anything? Any word from Joe or Brian anything coming down the pipe?

To expand on "Don't get your hopes up". Look at this way. Most if not all Ka-Band besides Directv in NA is Internet. If a few outfits started using KA-Band they would use LNB's not LNBF's. KA-band LNB's can be had now for over $500 bucks, and that is what commercial outfits would be using. Remember FTA is a hobby, commercial companies don't normally use the little typical $20 Ku LNBF we are used to these days. For that to become a reality here for FTA use there would need to quite a few transponders up there over NA before any vendor would want to invest in something like that. If something was designed and brought over even in the next 3-4 years it would sit in a warehouse and collect dust. It would not be worth the investment. Remember it takes thousands of dollars to develop and bring over a new LNBF. ;)

The KA LNBFs sold in Europe only receive high band. The hobbyists over there view (somewhat with envy) our seemingly endless supply of cheap or free DirecTV LNBFs capable of receiving both high and low bands.

Sometimes you have to be on the other side of the fence to see how green the grass really is!

Yes indeed Titanium, the DirecTV LNB's are very useful to me and others over here in the UK for feeds in the lower band of Ka off the Astra satellite. With a bit of conversion of one of the Ka ports to make it more linear friendly, plus the addition of a feedhorn off the Inverto KaSat LNB intended for Ireland, I have had some good results.

Attachments

• P1010009.JPG
    P1010009.JPG
    136.2 KB · Views: 233
  • P1010018.JPG
    P1010018.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 241
  • P1010020.JPG
    P1010020.JPG
    186.6 KB · Views: 254
  • P1010021.JPG
    P1010021.JPG
    206.5 KB · Views: 270
  • P1010022.JPG
    P1010022.JPG
    204.2 KB · Views: 253
  • P1010023.JPG
    P1010023.JPG
    161.4 KB · Views: 234
  • P1010024.JPG
    P1010024.JPG
    156.5 KB · Views: 263
  • P1010025.JPG
    P1010025.JPG
    178.8 KB · Views: 239
If you go onto the Satellites.co.uk forum, their is a section on Ka Band which explains all under 'The DirecTV SL3K4NR1-03' heading.
The forum member Vipersan made this mod happen, so thanks must go to him.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts