KBS World Launching as PI Channel

Channel 652(Korean) actually has English subtitles for most of its dramas although the news show I attempted to watch didn't.;)

RoyW said:
Well this information has certainly made one member of my family happy this morning, now if they would just provide a little more detailed information in the program guide as to actual program content it would be perfect.:)

Agreed. Unfortunately, the guide is also inaccurate in terms of time and KBS World has this habit of switching time slots around.

wkomorow said:
Agreed. Unfortunately, the guide is also inaccurate in terms of time and KBS World has this habit of switching time slots around.

Your certainly right in that the guide is pretty bad as far as accuracy is concerned right now. I'm hoping that eventually its straightened out however if KBS World makes last minute changes I guess that's not going to happen. :(

wkomorow said:
For the most accurate guide, try the KBSAmerica site:

http://www.kbs-america.com/sub/sub_programming.html

It usually is published Monday morning for the week. Don't try the download schedule, it is rarely accurate - rely on the html version.

I'll certainly give that a try on Monday morning. Overall there are enough English sub titled shows to make it worth while although my wife is having a hard time keeping up if the dialog is extremely fast.

Because the guide is so inaccurate/out of date and the shows do not start/stop on the hour/half past the hour exactly. All my 622 DVR programming is manual for KBS.

The shame of it... I can no longer hold my head high as a Korean when the French, Italians and the Latinos keep more accurate time/schedule on their channels (The germans I can live with)... ;)

leejp said:
Because the guide is so inaccurate/out of date and the shows do not start/stop on the hour/half past the hour exactly. All my 622 DVR programming is manual for KBS.

The shame of it... I can no longer hold my head high as a Korean when the French, Italians and the Latinos keep more accurate time/schedule on their channels (The germans I can live with)... ;)

Since the guide isn't up to date I've taken the advice of another poster and printed the HTML guide off KBS America on line. The downside of that is that it doesn't get updated until late monday afternoon or early in the evening. My wife has also set her timers manually and added up to 10 additional minutes or more in some cases. She is however welling to do what ever it takes because some of the dramas are pretty good.

RoyW said:
Since the guide isn't up to date I've taken the advice of another poster and printed the HTML guide off KBS America on line. The downside of that is that it doesn't get updated until late monday afternoon or early in the evening. My wife has also set her timers manually and added up to 10 additional minutes or more in some cases. She is however welling to do what ever it takes because some of the dramas are pretty good.

How come KBS suddenly took out GAG CONCERT, ENTERTAINMENT NEWS and other shows?

kbsamerica said:
How come KBS suddenly took out GAG CONCERT, ENTERTAINMENT NEWS and other shows?

We've received some complaints of that as well. Apparently, KBS World on DISH Network turned into a PI version and has taken off some of their "entertainment" programming. I'd complain to both DISH Network and KBS America for this, especially if you're paying to receive your KBS World channel.

Geez, another low blow by DISH by converting one of their pay channel into a PI one and making customers pay for it. That is, not letting customers know that their pay subscription channel is now available for free as a PI pack.

Going back awhile.... I believe you could purchase KBS "A La Carte", or you could get the "Korean Variety Package" which included KBS with 3 other channels (in which WOW-TV replaced SBS?). Somewhere along the line, I believe you could no longer purchase only KBS, but could purchase the Korean Variety Package; however, KBS was free if you had a dish pointed at 121 with certain programming. Then they added 2 more channels to the KVP for a total of 6. http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/...packages/indexpackage.asp?languageType=Korean

So, it was a "free channel with some packages" before they made it a "free PI".

I have been thinking about using FTA to pick-up some Korean programming, and then drop the KVP since KBS is free.

Last edited:
SummitAdvantageRetailer said:
We've received some complaints of that as well. Apparently, KBS World on DISH Network turned into a PI version and has taken off some of their "entertainment" programming. I'd complain to both DISH Network and KBS America for this, especially if you're paying to receive your KBS World channel.

Geez, another low blow by DISH by converting one of their pay channel into a PI one and making customers pay for it. That is, not letting customers know that their pay subscription channel is now available for free as a PI pack.

Glad to hear none of their drama series is taken off. Recent, unedited and no commericials. The only show I want is Entertainment News and Music Bank. But, people could still spend $1.00 at the korean market video stores renting the missing shows.

What is the difference between KBS America (652) vs KBS World?

KBS America do get the program from KBS World, but KBS World is another channel avalible around the world. Their drama series are faster too. Choi Jang Soo, Vineyard Man, Seoul 1945 already ended and they new dramas just started.

SummitAdvantageRetailer said:

Is anyone receiving KBS World as a free PI channel yet? No one in this thread has confirmed reception without subscribing to the KVP. Is it true that the only thing necessary to get 652 free is to be pointed at either 61.5 or 148?

Someone please absolutely confirm its availability so I can save myself $25 a month.

Is there anything that needs to be done to get the Free PI Pack? Or do all subscribers who pull in 61.5 or 148 get it automatically?

Just want to be sure that when I cancel my KVP, that I'll still pull in KBS on 652, or the old ball and chain will have my goolies in a sling.

mrhand said:
Is there anything that needs to be done to get the Free PI Pack? Or do all subscribers who pull in 61.5 or 148 get it automatically?

Just want to be sure that when I cancel my KVP, that I'll still pull in KBS on 652, or the old ball and chain will have my goolies in a sling.

You just need to have higher than America's Top 60 package on the account to get the PI pack automatically. If you have Dish Family, you have to ask a CSR to add the PI pack. If you don't even have any qualifying package (Dish Family and higher, Dish Latino, or Great Wall), then you may have to fork over an access fee of $5.99 to get PI with maybe locals or internationals. I don't know if you can just keep the PI pack and pay just $5.99 access fee.

Thanks for the help. Cancelled the KVP and am now pulling the one worthwhile channel in the package for free.

Now the wife is nagging me to use the $25 a month we save to add D* in order to add MBC and SBS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts