Keeping the wasps out...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

trscott

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 12, 2006
Oregon
New to the forum, just upgraded to 4DTV, about to add KU, as soon as my Corotor II+ comes.

Thought I would put out a tip that I learned from the guy I bought this place from. It came with a big 12' fine-mesh Paraclipse dish. We're on top of a hill where we get tremendous winds and that dish stays locked on very nicely.

Anyway, the guy who built this place built some planters into the slab for the dish mounting, and told me he always planted marigolds in them to keep the wasps away. I am afraid I am not much of a gardner, I get too busy, and plants end up having to fend for themselves. Well the first several years here we never had any problems with wasps, but I noticed this past couple years since the marigolds died off, the wasps moved in, so next spring the marigolds are going to get replanted.

Really love that 4DTV...

I also heard that!

trscott said:
New to the forum, just upgraded to 4DTV, about to add KU, as soon as my Corotor II+ comes.
Thought I would put out a tip that I learned from the guy I bought this place from. It came with a big 12' fine-mesh Paraclipse dish. We're on top of a hill where we get tremendous winds and that dish stays locked on very nicely.
Anyway, the guy who built this place built some planters into the slab for the dish mounting, and told me he always planted marigolds in them to keep the wasps away. I am afraid I am not much of a gardner, I get too busy, and plants end up having to fend for themselves. Well the first several years here we never had any problems with wasps, but I noticed this past couple years since the marigolds died off, the wasps moved in, so next spring the marigolds are going to get replanted.
Really love that 4DTV...

Now that I think of it...I had heard that too! The problem with Marigolds is that you will find them EVERYWHERE! They spread like crazy into your lawn etc!

I wonder how my bud would perform with marigolds stuffed into the feedhorn....Instead of the huge wasp nests I found there a few weeks ago!:D
Jeff

Hey Jeff, I plant marigolds every year, for the beauty, didn't know about the wasps. I've never had a spreading problem, maybe a different variant than I'm using does but I've been doing it for 20yrs or so and never had a problem like that.

Hmmmm

starman345 said:
Hey Jeff, I plant marigolds every year, for the beauty, didn't know about the wasps. I've never had a spreading problem, maybe a different variant than I'm using does but I've been doing it for 20yrs or so and never had a problem like that.

Boy are you lucky....I had a bad time getting them out of my lawn the first few years I lived here...just kept spreading seeds! Now that I think of it, I don't remember wasps back then either!!!! Have to pick up some seeds this spring!

Wasps built a nest in my mailbox a few years ago...Drove up to the mailbox with a can of that 20ft killer and cracked the window in the car just enough to let me spray the stuff. I had to quickly close the window since they were pretty pissed off when I sprayed...they came roaring out before croaking!!! ALL GONE for that nest!:D
Jeff

new tagline

starman345 said:
hehe, drive-by spraying

Hey, the neighbors have adopted it as the perferred method of dealing with wasp nests....AFTER they finished laughing...They may be small....but they hurt, and strike fear into the biggest people! Interesting but the noise they make is like an instant alarm!!!

Last edited:
When I was servicing BUDS a lot I carried wasp spray with me ALL of the time. I always tapped LIGHTLY on a feed cover and listen CAREFULLY before I pulled it. If I heard THAT SOUND, I would be READY with the SPRAY. Almost of the time I was on a ladder and I soon developed the art of removing the dome quickly, and aiming that sprayer to maximize the KILL RATE 1st time because the escapees would sometimes nail you.

Beekeeper's suit

bryansr said:
When I was servicing BUDS a lot I carried wasp spray with me ALL of the time. I always tapped LIGHTLY on a feed cover and listen CAREFULLY before I pulled it. If I heard THAT SOUND, I would be READY with the SPRAY. Almost of the time I was on a ladder and I soon developed the art of removing the dome quickly, and aiming that sprayer to maximize the KILL RATE 1st time because the escapees would sometimes nail you.

I am going to see how much a beekeeper's suit is if they come back this year!

I had to B'Bque after sundown so they were retired for the night...But now I know where to look! May even take the feedhorn cover off for the summer so they do not get a shot at nestbuilding and can be dealt with quickly! (hot desert summers)
Jeff

Last edited:
Took apart one of my Corotor II's (froze up from moisture) Hole in feedhorn cover let them in (cover on the way) ...

Attachments

• Wasps.JPG
    Wasps.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 247
  • Wasps 2.JPG
    Wasps 2.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 215
A small mesh bag of moth balls (check and change it every few months) does wonders to keep out critters from the inside of feedhorn covers.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)