Testing the new Titanium C138 Performance Plus C Band LNBF

N6BY

Geek
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 1, 2006
Roseville, CA 121W
Brian sent me the new C138 Performance Plus (available now at titaniumsatellite.com ) with improved 5G filtering. Today I compared it with the original C138 on several satellites.

As you can see on the spectrum scans below (of 127W), there is a marked difference in the amount of filtering below 3800 MHz. The first one below is the original C138 and the second is the new version.
C138Original.jpg

Original C138

C138New.jpg

Performance Plus C138

As you can see, the 5G spikes below 3800 MHz are greatly reduced in the Performance Plus version!

With the Performance Plus LNBF I was able to scan in more transponders than the original C138. And several scans of the same satellite (127W) gave consistent results with the new LNBF. And I was able to receive transponders as low as 3820 MHz.

If you live in an area with strong 5G band N77 presence (like me) I would highly recommend upgrading to the C138 Performance Plus LNBF.

EDIT: It looks like I have "H" and "V" reversed in one of the spectrum scans. Will check this out tomorrow.

Is there a C238 "performance plus" model in the works?

The filtering below 3800MHz looks great. I'm not an expert in interpreting these graphs but am I correct that relative to the original model, the new model (5G filter) also results in (H/V) decreased RF level from 3800-4000mhz and increased from 4000-4200mhz? Does this have an impact on signal for transponders between 3800-4000MHz?

Reactions: Titanium and FTA4PA
... The filtering below 3800MHz looks great. I'm not an expert in interpreting these graphs but am I correct that relative to the original model, the new model (5G filter) also results in (H/V) decreased RF level from 3800-4000mhz and increased from 4000-4200mhz? Does this have an impact on signal for transponders between 3800-4000MHz?
The signal strength is the difference between the signal peak and the noise floor. At around 3800 MHz the new version lowers the noise floor by about 8-10 dB. The distance between the signal peak and the noise floor is about the same as the old version.

The big improvement in the new version is that the 5G spikes below 3800 are are much shorter, and do not cause problems or pixelation above 3800.

Is there a C238 "performance plus" model in the works?

The filtering below 3800MHz looks great. I'm not an expert in interpreting these graphs but am I correct that relative to the original model, the new model (5G filter) also results in (H/V) decreased RF level from 3800-4000mhz and increased from 4000-4200mhz? Does this have an impact on signal for transponders between 3800-4000MHz?
The new C238 model is in stock and will be up on the website within a week.

N6BY is correct. The new models have increased attenuation below 3800MHz and provide greater signal to noise ratio in the band pass. Very effective against strong 5G N77 carriers with no degradation of the target satellite signals. These LNBFs are still RED filter type with bandpass of 3800-4200MHz. BLUE filter C140 and C240 (4000-4200MHz BPF) models will be introduced next year once the next step of c-band transition is launched.

I appreciate N6BY"s assistance in preproduction testing for the C138 and C238 LNBFs. His testing in a real-world enviroment with exceptionally severe 5G interference and providing detailed feedback on the samples helped guide decisions for the improved filter design. Thank you!

I appreciate N6BY"s assistance in preproduction testing for the C138 and C238 LNBFs. His testing in a real-world enviroment with exceptionally severe 5G interference and providing detailed feedback on the samples helped guide decisions for the improved filter design. Thank you!
My pleasure.

I think my 5G problem is greater here than most areas because I am on the side of a hill at a fairly high elevation relative to my surroundings.

No one in my home has a 5G phone yet, but I know that my neighbors do. That's OK now because the new C138 squelches their interference. :)

Reactions: FTA4PA
Glad I found this thread. 5G has finally caught up with me. Just yesterday I discovered everything from 97w and on westward is compromised by interference. 97-105w is watchable but still having annoying dropouts about every 30-40 seconds. Everything at 113w and west is unwatchable. I barely get a few seconds of clean video between dropouts.

The new C238 model is in stock and will be up on the website within a week.
Hi Titanium,
Is the C238 version currently listed on your website the new version with improved filter? I wasn't sure as it doesn't say performance plus or any reference to new 5G filter. Thanks again for making these available.

DRO or PLL?
Just curious.
Excellent service from the previous models with the heat sink. Operate at +43 to -40C, haven't noticed enough drift to create issues throughout that temperature range. Have 3 dual Ti LNBFs running here on my C-band dishes.

The C138 and C238 LNBFs are DRO. We are able to provide better filtering and SNR with the DRO designs, so chose to no longer manufacture the PLL type.

The C-band repack has resulted in big fat TS transponders to efficiently utilize the remaining band. The reduced band is consolidating services away from narrow SCPC to be combined with other services to create full transponder width MCPC transport streams.

While I am not currently affected by any 5G, LTE etc. interference I ordered a C138 lnbf to have on hand. It arrived Saturday morning right after I scanned 40.5 to 139 degrees and took readings. I put it on just to see if ther would be any change in the 3800~4200 range and……..WOW……..it was so much better I just left it on. I lost just a handful of 3700~3800 transponders that I never spent much time on. Nice improvement here, every signal in range was higher strength.

Yes, the "Performance Plus" versions provide an upgrade to the "Red" filter, increasing the attenuation of frequencies below 3800 MHz. The bandpass range range remains 3800 - 4200 MHz.
No wonder I have been experiencing microblocking/ pixelation on some TPs using the original RED LNB. I already ordered the latest version yesterday, but for some reason I didn't see an option to enter the satelliteguys coupon. :(

Last edited:
This is similar to the interference we experienced years ago if you got in the way of a Telephone feed... those giant conical horns...
Actually did entire installs only to find out huge signal problems....this was in the early 80's. Then I bought a horn antenna and did site surveys... Drake 100 degree LNA.

Reactions: Titanium and FTA4PA
This is similar to the interference we experienced years ago if you got in the way of a Telephone feed... those giant conical horns...
Actually did entire installs only to find out huge signal problems....this was in the early 80's. Then I bought a horn antenna and did site surveys... Drake 100 degree LNA.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 71
Reactions: FTA4PA and Titanium