Kenwood car radio with HD

philhu

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 1, 2004
Cold Boston Area
Hi

I have the DNX-7100 Kenwood car radio with the HD tuner addon.

The unit also does not allow users to set channel names. The built in NON-HD radio tuner does allow this.

The HD seems to work, but it never shows RDS text (The text shown on standard radios) for non-hd stations, and doesnt show much HD Text for the hd channels, it only works on 1 channel in my area. I know 6 or 7 use HD text on their channels.

I had the hd unit connected to a DDX-6019 for a while and the hd text came thru fine.

I emailed Kenwood about these issues, and after 5 weeks they said I wasnt using the radio correctly!!!! I reopenned the ticket in April, and have been completely ignored.

Is Kenwood support really that bad?

This is an obvious dnx-7100/hd tuner interface problem. You would think they would 1) find this bug, and 2) Want the radio to work perfectly

The reason you are not getting support is because it seems they have discontinued their HD tuner.

You cant find it online near anywhere and a poster over at AVS says the product has been dumped.

I was thinking on getting it for my Kenwood tuner but now HD radio looks to be going the way of the betamax.

There is a new tuner module model supposedly coming out in June 2008, the KTC-HR200. It fully supports RDS and is priced considerably less than the KTC-HR100TR. Since the original unit carried a price of $300 I never thought it was worth it, especially since I had Sirius. The new unit, with an MSRP of $129 might make me a believer.

Just checked the Crutchfield website. They show an availabilty date of 6/26/08 for the Kenwood KTC-HR200. Now that I am giving up Sirius I may have to check this out.

KTC-HR200 is out, for $129

My dealer is doing a free upgrade to it for me since I complained so much about the 100.

Phil

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)