Status
Please reply by conversation.

mr3p

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 1, 2010
West
Anyone ever have any experience with KII Pro Android DVB-S2-DVB-T2 TV box? It's basically an Amlogic S905 Android box with DVB S2/T2 tuners. They sell for 70-80 dollars depending upon where you purchase. I don't see expect it to perform as some high end end device but given that LibreELEC builds for the KII seems to be progressing I thought it might be worth trying out. As best I can tell its spec'd similar to Wetek Play 2.

I dont have experience with the kII, but im about to smash my wetek play 2. Im so frustrated with it I had to put it away. If you have a pretty good understanding of how LibreELEC works or are good at figuring it out you might not be so frustrated with it. I cant figure out how to delete channels, rename channels, or add satellite positions. I havent tried the cbs 4.2.2 signals with the wetek play 2 but it I think there are some H264 4.2.2 feeds ( I think that is what they are) that it wont decode though it does try, but 4k it does do look awesome with the play 2. It also will not lock the Heros, movies, decades and metv transponders, and i mean it doesnt see them at all even manually putting the info in the scan settings. THis was all done with factory software, and i havent learned enough about LibreELEC to be brave enough to try it yet, but some of the over seas forums seem to point to better useage using LibreELEC and tvheadend in kodi for the tuner. But there isnt a lot of information on what to do, and what is out there that i have found isnt very detailed. I wish I would have bought a KII now instead of the wetek play 2 because id still have some of my hard earned dollars in my pocket. Only reason I am sharing my experience with the wetek play 2 is because I have read they are similar. The thought is that the KII has less ram then the wetek play 2 so the wetek should perform better, but I dont know. I might like the play better once i have a full day to really dive into booting LibreELEC onto it from a microsd card and figureing out tvheadend and it works a little more user freindly.

Reactions: mr3p
Anyone ever have any experience with KII Pro Android DVB-S2-DVB-T2 TV box? It's basically an Amlogic S905 Android box with DVB S2/T2 tuners. They sell for 70-80 dollars depending upon where you purchase. I don't see expect it to perform as some high end end device but given that LibreELEC builds for the KII seems to be progressing I thought it might be worth trying out. As best I can tell its spec'd similar to Wetek Play 2.
The factory pre-installed software for the K1 Plus is terrible for DVB. Not sure if LibreELEC would be better -- never tried it. My K1 Plus has been unplugged for many months.

The K1 Plus does not do 16APSK which is becoming more common with UHD feeds. Not sure if the KII Pro has the same demodulator and software as the K1 Plus

Sorry to hear your experience with the Play2 hasn't been fun. Both the Play2 and KII Pro have 2GB RAM but the Wetek has DRM and far better vendor support. As I've been using LibreELEC for a while my plan was to dive in and learn how to setup TVHeadend. I suspect the Android experience for DVB-S2 on KII isn't much different than the Play2 although there is a custom ROM for KII Pro DVB on XDA forum which looks like it might be improvement over factory. If I had to guess I'd bet the DVB-S2 tuner in the KII is the same is the K1 as I don't see 16apsk listed in the specs. Disappointing. I don't know if the Play2 supports 16apsk. LibreELEC supposedly supports USB DVB-S2 tuners so that may an option. Guess I can keep waiting for Manhattan to import U5 Pro Quad Hybrid or look for one to show up on Ebay ;)

Sorry to hear your experience with the Play2 hasn't been fun. Both the Play2 and KII Pro have 2GB RAM but the Wetek has DRM and far better vendor support. As I've been using LibreELEC for a while my plan was to dive in and learn how to setup TVHeadend. I suspect the Android experience for DVB-S2 on KII isn't much different than the Play2 although there is a custom ROM for KII Pro DVB on XDA forum which looks like it might be improvement over factory. If I had to guess I'd bet the DVB-S2 tuner in the KII is the same is the K1 as I don't see 16apsk listed in the specs. Disappointing. I don't know if the Play2 supports 16apsk. LibreELEC supposedly supports USB DVB-S2 tuners so that may an option. Guess I can keep waiting for Manhattan to import U5 Pro Quad Hybrid or look for one to show up on Ebay ;)
I get the feeling that the play 2 was designed as an iptv box, and they figured since it could technically handle the tuners they out in the tuner port and designed the 3 tuners they offer(i think its 3). I know you can get an atsc tuner for it and have considered getting one and comparing it to the tuner in my uhd LG tv, but i have been told that the higer end LG tv's have pretty good tuners built into them. At the time i bought my tv I bought it from an LG dealer and they had to order it because the ones they had in the store didnt have the features I wanted, and they told me it was one of the top teir tv's at the time. So i dont know, all I do know is Ive been real happy with it, especially once i turned the true motion function off which gave everyone in the house headaches.

If you do try tvheadend let us know how it works, if its a bust i wont waste my time with it on the play 2. My problem is ill be running out of "extra" time soon as spring will be here and that is of course our busiest time of the year. Wont be untill mid October before I start getting time to play with extra curricular activities once the mowing season/installing planters and patios season starts.

I suspect most of the IPTV Android boxes use inexpensive S2 tuners. @70 dollars I was thinking the KII Pro might be the cheapest way to receive some of the 4k feeds but maybe I'll do some more reading first.

I suspect most of the IPTV Android boxes use inexpensive S2 tuners. @70 dollars I was thinking the KII Pro might be the cheapest way to receive some of the 4k feeds but maybe I'll do some more reading first.
the 3 that the wetek play 2 picks up were stunning. Until I had tuned those stations in I had never seen a 4k signal as none of the people selling 4k tvs here are actually displaying 4k content on the 4k tvs. Not even my local LG dealer has a 4k bluray player playing a 4k video on his stuff, yet he does have a 3d bluray player to display 3d. Even my wife just say and watched the nature loop for like an hour in the shop while i was playing around modifying dish network dishes to see what they would and wouldnt do. She was impressed. Funniest thing i ever saw was she actually reached up and touched the screen because and I quote "the tree bark looked so real like I could reach out and touch it". One of the channels has something that plays sometimes I think as it always says there will be a program starting shortly at the end of the loop but i havent seen one on there yet. I guess there is also the NASA 4k channel too but I only tuned it on once and they were playing a slide reel of hubble images in 4k, but I usually just leave the dish parked at 103 since i havent enabled the wetek to move the dish with the asc-1 because i was afraid it would mess up the stored positions in the asc-1. the other 3 available out of the 6 on 103w it tries to pull in, i get blips of both sound and occasional video. Shows good quality so i assume its just not capable of decoding the video stream. It does say its a 4k h264 but i dont remember what it has on there that is different then the other 3 but there was something different in the information displayed. I also noticed on those 3 channels that the wetek is real sluggish like its working real hard. I wonder if they are H264 4.2.2 but lyngsat doesnt have the appropriate info on its site and sathint doesnt even show they exist. If there were more content for 4k im sure id really want it because the difference even from 1080p video was definitely noticeable.

I've been pondering on a KIII PRO DVB-S2 DVB-T/T2 by AceMax.
Amlogic S912 OCTA Core 64Bit DDR3 RAM 3GB RAM 16G ROM

BUT it still only lists 8psk! (And $142...ouch)

That could be a sweet android box with a 16psk capable dvb-2 tuner in it. (Or is that a chipset limitation? IDK)

Anyone know of a lower cost source...maybe without the DVB-T tuner?

I've researched android and linux boxes until I'm more confused than when I started. :confused:

There is currently no LibreELEC support for S912 devices. There is a long thread on LibreELEC forum discussing the topic.
I have one of the k11 pro's. Will provide some info:

Unit does have 2gb ram 16gb emmc.
It decodes all the 4k channels currently 8 on 103w and the nasa on 127w.
The unit will not scan in the HI, decades, or movies on 101w it will usually find one only. You can manually add the second if you space them out more than 4kz, ie it will not accept 4kz spacing even manually entered. And the signal quality is fairly low in the 40-70% range and hiccups once in a while much like the alien 3 combo; this is compared to the azbox elite with maxed out quality and no drops. The tuner leaves much to be desired. The color is also much like the alien 3 combo with red push, don't know if its the hisilicon or software. This not to say the picture is bad the 4k is breathtaking at times. You cannot manually tune, (ie i use the 4dtv for lnb power so set the vertical and horizontal individually so the tuner needs to scan the sat via V and H seperately this one doesn"t have that feature). It does a blind scan starting with the vertical polarity and at 50% scan completion it switches to horizontal so if your fast with the 4dtv polarity change you won't miss much.
The unit comes with kodi jarvis 16.1 and it works well and a few other apps and you can download more. Why they don't upgrade these to linux and get rid of all the google stuff i don't know, it would clean them up tremendously goes for phones also.

The unit is like the alien 3 not used for satellite i have much better receivers for that albeit not 4k. They are both good at internet which is what i use the high dollar alien 3 combo for, the K11 pro is a backup for that or if wanting to watch 4k channels.
By the way the alien 3 combo had a update about two months ago its upto 137 now and it did speed the unit up and allowed to move apps to the sdmirco (tf, sf etc) card. Its a little annoying as it leaves message saying this everytime you turn it on but the messages can be deleted.

I didn't open the unit up to see what tuner it has or if it can be replaced.
Hope this helps

Then it appears this unit is doing better then the wetek play 2 as i can only bring in 3 or 4 of the 4k channels on 103w plus the nasa channel on 127w. I already checked signal quality on those channels im not pulling in and the wetek play q meter is in the low 70s, so should be enough to pull em in if it could. Also appears the KII is better then the wetek on the 101w channels as even maually they wont come in. Good to know whats floating around out there and what they can do. I will say I think the color palate seems decent with the wetek play 2 so no issues there.

Then it appears this unit is doing better then the wetek play 2 as i can only bring in 3 or 4 of the 4k channels on 103w plus the nasa channel on 127w. I already checked signal quality on those channels im not pulling in and the wetek play q meter is in the low 70s, so should be enough to pull em in if it could. Also appears the KII is better then the wetek on the 101w channels as even maually they wont come in. Good to know whats floating around out there and what they can do. I will say I think the color palate seems decent with the wetek play 2 so no issues there.

What channels did you get on 103w?

What kind of 4k TV do you have?

Its an LG dont recall the model number but i did pay north of 7k for it 2 years ago. It appeared to be the wetek that was having the issue as it would blip sound and audio and the quality, while moving a couple of percent stayed above 70%. The real disappointment for me is not picking up movies, H&I and decades, and i dont recall it picking up METZ either.

hi daylight,
Thank you for sharing your experience with the KII pro. Did you ever try out the Custom firmware for KII Pro DVB-S2/T2? There are also LibreELEC 8.0 builds for KI Plus/KII Pro which does do away with Android although I can't speak as to how well Kodi performs as the front end for a satellite receiver. Despite the KII Pro shortcomings, it's an inexpensive entry into a 4k receiver so I'm still considering it.

hi daylight,
Thank you for sharing your experience with the KII pro. Did you ever try out the Custom firmware for KII Pro DVB-S2/T2? There are also LibreELEC 8.0 builds for KI Plus/KII Pro which does do away with Android although I can't speak as to how well Kodi performs as the front end for a satellite receiver. Despite the KII Pro shortcomings, it's an inexpensive entry into a 4k receiver so I'm still considering it.

No haven't looked librec have went to the site and read up on it. It appears interesting but not a completed project yet. The K11 pro would make a great 4k receiver, but having said that its scanning leaves much to be desired. When you scan a sat you have many transponders from sats on either side of the one its scanning, so many transponders have to be deleted, simple to do but time consuming and if i assume it is a cheap tuner problem software change more than likely not would not solve the problem. May eventually try one of the other firmwares but right now happy to have a receiver that displays all the 4k channels unlike the 200 dollar alien 3 combo. The unit was cheap enough to experiment with. The units i currently use day in an out are the azbox elite for the 101w channels since it has no dropouts for recording, and the x2 premium 3 which is one of the best receivers i have owned but is no longer produced. Also use the x2 premium 2 for ku only and it does great also. The units are no longer updated but are pretty much bullet proof. All these units have pluses and minuses to each there own. Have not used kodi for satellite just for internet. Much easier to go that route then transcoding and taking the commercials out myself.

Hope this helps, right now we have been having good weather so outside has been taking the priority.

I ordered one up direct from China ;) I'm guessing a couple weeks before it arrives but it should be a cheap entry into receiving 4k.

I ordered one up direct from China ;) I'm guessing a couple weeks before it arrives but it should be a cheap entry into receiving 4k.

Ordered mine through amazon, but it came from china took about a month. It had little shipping info just that it had been received from dealer in china then showed up in the mail box. Still have not opened up to see what tuner it has but will get around to it. The librec does look promising but still worry that the tuner is the problem. Forgot to mention it also displays the 8 uhds on 101w and couple on 103w and one on 127w. The nasa one appears to freeze for a split second when changing scenes but i think its the feed the alien 3 combo did the same thing and didn't notice it on the other channels. Will probably write a review on amazon about the tuner problem. Try to write a review on most things purchased through amazon.

Different subject but the 101w problem channels are back currently to full power and display on the X2 P3 and Alien 2, hope they stay for awhile this time. Would rather record using the x2p3 because it records to an external ntfs usb drive.

Hopefully yours will have a better tuner. If you need any help in figuring out how to scan and delete transponders let me know. I don't come here everyday so it may be a time delay.

The best

KIII (K3) are now out.

I have still yet to make the purchase of a 4k receiver. I have been watching the threads of the various types, and they all have major issues. But, i have hopes....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts