KNLB Changing Transponders?

Cemguy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
KNLB Radio has been broadcasting announcements that they'll be changing transponders in the Glorystar network.

Any word on what the new specs will be?

interesting...12177 is stronger transponder for me than 11716

Same here...Central PA is in the weakest section of the satellite "footprint". Too bad they're going with the weaker transponder.

Cemguy,

This is a little off topic, but you say Central PA is the weakest section of the satellite footprint, as we are planning to get a Glorystar system in the future, do you know how the JCTV signal comes in? We are in Roxbury PA, norther Franklin County... so South Central, PA

Thanks,
Bruce - Roxtreme

Same here...Central PA is in the weakest section of the satellite "footprint". Too bad they're going with the weaker transponder.

Cemguy,

This is a little off topic, but you say Central PA is the weakest section of the satellite footprint, as we are planning to get a Glorystar system in the future, do you know how the JCTV signal comes in? We are in Roxbury PA, norther Franklin County... so South Central, PA

Thanks,
Bruce - Roxtreme

Today I'm getting 40% to 50% signal quality on JCTV. In other parts of the country, with the same basic GloryStar setup, people could be getting 60% - 70%.

I have no problems with reception until it rains really hard.

Thanks for the info... it's good to know. We will probably never watch anything live, so I doubt that it will be that big of a deal if a major rain storm once in a while wipes out reception of a program that we will probably be only warehousing for the future.

Thanks,
Bruce - Roxtreme

Today I'm getting 40% to 50% signal quality on JCTV. In other parts of the country, with the same basic GloryStar setup, people could be getting 60% - 70%.

Central PA is in the weakest section of the satellite "footprint".

I would think that if a person purchased the 1.2 meter dish from Glorystar instead of the 92 CM dish that would help with the signal strength. Although it $69 more plus another $50 or so in shipping, it might be worth getting stronger signal.

also each receiver model has a different signal quality structure. On the same channel using 4 different boxes I can see quality readings of 70,60,55,and 90 :)

also each receiver model has a different signal quality structure. On the same channel using 4 different boxes I can see quality readings of 70,60,55,and 90 :)

Interesting. Does that mean that the box that reads 90 is actually doing a better job of rendering the signal, or does it mean that the box just assigns a "90" to the same signal quality at which one of the boxes assigns a "55"?

its just the way the box reads it...nothing more nothing less

I know the Merc II had a software upgrade (the non glorystar model) and the meter went down drastically...what was 90 is now 60...Glorystar said that was normal

I have noticed differences between receivers so far as receiving weaker signals, even though, as you say, sometimes they just give a different reading but perform the same.

I recently tried to receive the PBS channels on AMC3, and they are quite weak (at least where I live...just north of the border above Idaho). My Coolsat 6000 would sometimes show the breakup (square boxes, picture freeze), whereas on a newer VisionSat IV200 the same signal would show a good picture without any breakup. At other sites, I noticed that the Coolsat was better at picking up weaker channels than some older receivers, such as the SatCruiser.

So it's not just a matter of different reading...some boxes actually seem to be more efficient at dealing with weaker signals.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)