"Known issue"? But no mention of it here...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

sremick

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 21, 2008
Vermont, USA
I starting having a problem with my VIP722K today. If you hit the DVR button, the DVR menu never appears and no other buttons respond at that point. You can continue watching the channel you were on. If you reboot the DVR, it'll respond to other buttons until you hit the DVR button. I've tried rebooting several times now, and on 2 of those times when it booted it said an error about a hard drive failure. But it doesn't say that every time.

I started a chat w/ Dish tech support, fearful that my HDD in my fairly-new DVR was dying. Instead, I got some interesting info:

"This is a known issue that our engineering team is currently looking into."
"We've had numerous reports so they are working on a fix."
"They usually take place through software update."
"This has been happening since 9/21/14. no report at this time as to what caused it."

I'd take that as good news... except, if it were really a known problem since 9/21 I'd expect to see SOME mention of it on here (or another particular forum). But I search and... nothing. So now I'm suspicious. Am I missing a thread somewhere? What do others think? DIRT?

Your hard drive is failing. Period. Contact DIRT for replacement.

There are millions of people that have Dish service and as many members that Sat Guys has, we are a very small minority. Although we are a vocal minority. There may be a lot of people including Sat guys that have the problem and have reported it, but not posted about it.

You are correct that we are in the minority both in numbers and our knowledge of DISH. But I can't agree that people having problems just didn't post about it. That's the first thing that happens, before even calling DISH. If it's enough that a CSR is saying it's a known problem then there would have to be some posts about it here. Problem is does a CSR even understand what a known problem means? :)

Nope. Most of them see it in their tech portal and it say "report known issue" and assume that means known problem.

Reactions: Tampa8
Nope. Most of them see it in their tech portal and it say "report known issue" and assume that means known problem.
Good Lord! BTW, anyone else notice DIRT has been MIA most of the week? Been hesitant to promote them because of such.

I hadn't noticed if DIRT have been posting but Zach and Matt did read the post, most likely they have no information?

Good Lord! BTW, anyone else notice DIRT has been MIA most of the week? Been hesitant to promote them because of such.

I've seen them responding to posts this week. I just think this was a slow week and there really wasn't much going on here.

Tampa is correct. We haven't added anything because we have no additional information. Chat gave all the correct information, as this is in fact a known issue that we are investigating. The work around is to reset the receiver.

Tampa is correct. We haven't added anything because we have no additional information. Chat gave all the correct information, as this is in fact a known issue that we are investigating. The work around is to reset the receiver.

Well now I don't know what to do. After multiple tries to Dish tech support (including one that was trying to insist on arranging a tech visit to swap my remote... despite me explaining many times that not only had I tried multiple remotes, but it wouldn't even respond to the buttons ON THE DVR.... I hung up on her) I finally got one who was convinced it was a bad DVR (like most of you were saying) and they're sending me a replacement via UPS ($15 shipping fee). I'm not keen on losing all my recordings if there's nothing wrong with my DVR. Zach: what should I do?

If you don't want to swap them out, just send back the new receiver(refuse shipment). You'll get your $15 back. I would recommend transfer recordings using an ehd and sending the old one back.

Reactions: TheKrell
Well now I don't know what to do. After multiple tries to Dish tech support (including one that was trying to insist on arranging a tech visit to swap my remote... despite me explaining many times that not only had I tried multiple remotes, but it wouldn't even respond to the buttons ON THE DVR.... I hung up on her) I finally got one who was convinced it was a bad DVR (like most of you were saying) and they're sending me a replacement via UPS ($15 shipping fee). I'm not keen on losing all my recordings if there's nothing wrong with my DVR. Zach: what should I do?
You should transfer your recordings to an EHD. Chances are there is something wrong, so be glad you have a new one on the way.

Although I have an ext HDD, because the DVR menu won't come up I have no way to transfer my recordings. If I could get to my recordings listing I wouldn't be having the problem I'm having. :(

What if you unplug the coax cables, then reset the box, and without plugging in the coax, try and bring up the dvr menu. Does that work?

When you plug in the EHD, a message pops up asking if you would like to manage your DVR. Does that screen not respond either?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)