"Known issue"? But no mention of it here...

What if you unplug the coax cables, then reset the box, and without plugging in the coax, try and bring up the dvr menu. Does that work?
Nope, unfortunately. Gave it a try with high hopes.

When you plug in the EHD, a message pops up asking if you would like to manage your DVR. Does that screen not respond either?
O_O What a great idea! I just tried this, and was able to access this menu and just tried transferring a recording over to the ext HDD. While I don't have a way to watch it to test it, it appears to have transferred successfully. What a relief. So all I'm potentially faced with is redoing my timers. A big PITA, but do-able.

Well now I don't know what to do. After multiple tries to Dish tech support (including one that was trying to insist on arranging a tech visit to swap my remote... despite me explaining many times that not only had I tried multiple remotes, but it wouldn't even respond to the buttons ON THE DVR.... I hung up on her) I finally got one who was convinced it was a bad DVR (like most of you were saying) and they're sending me a replacement via UPS ($15 shipping fee). I'm not keen on losing all my recordings if there's nothing wrong with my DVR. Zach: what should I do?

Ouch. Ouch. Ouch. So much of that is like nails down a chalkboard to me, the incompetence shown by the people you spoke to. That someone was trying to send a tech about a remote issue makes my blood pressure go up...we do not send technicians for problems with remotes, and you even told them it wasn't the remote. I understand that a lot of agents do not check the Known Product Issues list. I wish they did.

As a Dish employee, my opinions are my own, and do not represent my employer in any way, shape, or form.

Reactions: Tampa8
Ouch. Ouch. Ouch. So much of that is like nails down a chalkboard to me, the incompetence shown by the people you spoke to. That someone was trying to send a tech about a remote issue makes my blood pressure go up...we do not send technicians for problems with remotes, and you even told them it wasn't the remote. I understand that a lot of agents do not check the Known Product Issues list. I wish they did.

I've been on so many work orders from CSR's sending techs out for a remote issue when yes the customer said it was the remote having an issue and some where they said the remote wasn't the problem yet it was clearly a WO for something to do with the remote. SO yeah Dish CSR's will send a tech out for anything and everything it seems, there is no end to it and never will be I'm afraid.

For example: I showed up clearly the notes said remote issue and driving exactly 1 hour to find that the customer had dropped the remote and put the batteries back in backwards. I look at the notes and they trouble shooted the system for at least 35minutes for all kinds of things. So this wasn't some quick on and off phone deal and it really looked like this was a CSR that had been there a while based on what I read so not a newbie. So not only did I LOSE money on that job cause of all the travel time but the customer just got a clear picture of how stupid a Dish CSR can really be.

Now this is nothing against you but hey it happens and is still happening everyday!! The installer zone is full of so many stories that you will be just amazed at what all a tech goes thru as soon as they open the truck door.

Just think though. It goes the same way for csrs and techs. But I think we can all agree, sales are the worst at either clarification or knowledge of the system. This mostly towards the BB service. Hughes should never be encouraged or installed for anyone in the city.

Well now I don't know what to do. After multiple tries to Dish tech support (including one that was trying to insist on arranging a tech visit to swap my remote... despite me explaining many times that not only had I tried multiple remotes, but it wouldn't even respond to the buttons ON THE DVR.... I hung up on her) I finally got one who was convinced it was a bad DVR (like most of you were saying) and they're sending me a replacement via UPS ($15 shipping fee). I'm not keen on losing all my recordings if there's nothing wrong with my DVR. Zach: what should I do?

I personally would send back the replacement. The estimated date for the software release that corrects this is 10/14/14. Keep in mind that this is subject to change but what you are describing does sound like the known issue.

Reactions: Scott Greczkowski
I personally would send back the replacement. The estimated date for the software release that corrects this is 10/14/14. Keep in mind that this is subject to change but what you are describing does sound like the known issue.

The replacement is due to arrive today. So that'd be 2 weeks of not being able to use my DVR if I waited.

Any chance you could elaborate as to what's going on? I'm afraid as an end-user I haven't been given enough info about this "known issue" to make an appropriate educated judgement call. What has actually failed? What caused it (botched software update)? Why is it only affecting a tiny number of users (apparently I'm the only one in this whole forum)? Given other behavior I've noticed since my original post, it's almost as if one of the tuners has failed.

Other symptoms I've noticed (things that require 2 tuners working):
  • On System Info, 77 is fine but 61.5 comes up as failed even though I can tune to a 61.5 channel and it comes in fine.
  • If I have a recording taking place, then another recording tries to start, it bumps off the other recording instead of just recording simultaneously
  • Internal HDD appears fine (I can transfer recordings to the ext HDD using Menu 4-2-2)
  • Perhaps going to the DVR menu (to display info, PIP, etc) requires 2 tuners also and that's why it locks up?

The replacement is due to arrive today. So that'd be 2 weeks of not being able to use my DVR if I waited.

Any chance you could elaborate as to what's going on? I'm afraid as an end-user I haven't been given enough info about this "known issue" to make an appropriate educated judgement call. What has actually failed? What caused it (botched software update)? Why is it only affecting a tiny number of users (apparently I'm the only one in this whole forum)? Given other behavior I've noticed since my original post, it's almost as if one of the tuners has failed.

Other symptoms I've noticed (things that require 2 tuners working):
  • On System Info, 77 is fine but 61.5 comes up as failed even though I can tune to a 61.5 channel and it comes in fine.
  • If I have a recording taking place, then another recording tries to start, it bumps off the other recording instead of just recording simultaneously
  • Internal HDD appears fine (I can transfer recordings to the ext HDD using Menu 4-2-2)
  • Perhaps going to the DVR menu (to display info, PIP, etc) requires 2 tuners also and that's why it locks up?

Unfortunately, the details about what actually has happened, what caused it and why it is only affecting a few users is well above my pay grade but you can send back your current receiver. The decisions is really up to you but the other things you have described does make it sound like your current DVR is failing.

I had the same issue a month or two ago. Got a replacement 722 and all is well. I couldn't get any of my programs to transfer to EHD (didn't try the trick above), but I didn't have too many things I cared about or hadn't watched anyway.

If you press and hold zero, then you can actually back your timers and settings up into your remote.

Ok new receiver here, but going back into System Wizard there's no way to "restore" the settings that were backed-up to it.

I did research and found the procedure mentioned here:
http://www.mydish.com/support/restore-receiver-settings-222k-722k

But I also found others complaining that indeed the restore function is gone (!!!):
http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/722k-system-wizard-restore.234414/
http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/how-to-restore-remote-control-wizard-backups.252411/

What gives? What's the point of a backup function if there's no way to restore it???

Last edited:
There should be the press and hold zero option again. Or you can go into settings and do it. I forget the path though on non hoppers

Is your remote programmed to the box already?
Yes, it made me do it. I initially got the "the receiver does not recognize the remote" screen. It made me pair them. It mentioned "for more options" I could choose "Advanced" but there was no "Advanced" button.

So now I'm trying to back up from the old DVR again but now the backup won't complete... the progress bar makes it about 2 blocks across then stalls.

What model is your receiver?
ViP722K (mentioned in the first sentence of the first post ;) )

I solved the issue of not being able to re-backup the settings from the old receiver (needed the coax connected). But I still get no "Restore" option on the new one, no mater how many times I try going into System Wizard. And no amount of exploring or searching Google has revealed any alternate way of getting to System Wizard other than holding down 0.

This may help. I have never had success doing the restore if my tv1 remote was uhf. It had to be set to ir. That was on the 722k. Don't know if that helps you at all.

This may help. I have never had success doing the restore if my tv1 remote was uhf. It had to be set to ir. That was on the 722k. Don't know if that helps you at all.

My TV1 remote is IR only and that's the only one I'm using . I don't have a TV2

Hated that remote. Should be identical to a 20.0 but those minor differences, make minor differences. Unfortunately, I hate to say it, but you may be sol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)