Kodi with enigma2 box

Status
Please reply by conversation.

catamount

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
maritimes
Was reading the 4K receiver thread and got inspired by Schicks4 and Mr3p. Decided to try streaming from my azbox to Kodi on my I5 laptop. Not that familiar with my way around Kodi, but managed to install the Vue/enigma2 PVR.

I was surprised how well Cozi and NBC West played in Kodi, pretty much flawless. Had a bit of stuttering with RT and NHK for some reason, mostly at first after zapping channels.

Screenshots: azboxkodi 002.JPG

Thanks, boys
Catamount

Reactions: KE4EST
I think so! LOL If I had an enigma2 box that wasn't azbox then I could test some 4.2.2 feeds off cbc news

So if I understand this correctly you are streaming from AZbox running E2 streaming to Kodi running Windows Laptop? Which AZbox are you using and which add-on did you use in Kodi?

Yes, that's correct. I have an Azbox Minime (originally NA edition). Now I run Open Atv 4.2 and OpenAtv 6.0 test images. The Pvr add-on is called Vue/enigma 2. It is at the bottom of the pvr addons.

The Azbox also has webif, which does the same thing. It streams to the computer using vlc. I think I now can use other media players as well. You just type the IP address in the browser and Webif opens up.

Catamount

Reactions: mr3p
I have done a bit of testing with the wetek play 2 factory tuner software, and while it sees and trys to decode the 4.2.2 signals it just gives blips of both sound and picture. So now i need to obtain a microsd card and download the wetek LibreELEC os to it. Looks like ill be spending a fair amount of time reading the forums on how to get it all to work. So far i have seen people having issues getting tvheadend to work, or instructions arent very detailed. Also appears that the current version runs sluggish and doesnt have all the remote control buttons mapped. So it might be a wait and see if there is a better updated version. I have seen though that people are able to record 4.2.2 shows and watch them in kodi with the appropriate plugins downloaded. Appears there is no way to run tvheadend in kodi on android. Again it certainly seems like this is all bleeding edge stuff. I have learned that you absolutly do not want to have the wetek software do a blind scan as it looks at ALL frequencies, KU and C and will find c-band tp with Ku programmed numbers so you wind up with lots of duplicate channels, and I still as yet have figured out how to delete, or rename channels. I will say that while the blind scan function takes a long time, it appears to be very thorough looking at each frequency 10mhz at a time. It also will not find Movies, Heros, or decades even doing a manual frequency scan, though it does see each of the 3 frequencies in a blind scan just doesnt find any channels. Might try recording some stuff before i change the os and try playing it in kodi.

I have used my AZBox Ultra (using 0.9.5402 firmware) to stream to my laptop to VLC, Kodi, and PotPlayer (which seems to me to be the best). When there were the H265 channels on 30W last year, the AZBox scanned them in as radio channels, which I then streamed to my laptop to receive audio and video. Worked fairly well.

Don't recall having to install an add-on to Kodi, just had to make a .strm file with the udp address needed

The wetek play 2 has a version of kodi written specifically for wetek. I havent spent a lot of time messing with the box because its kinda time consuming and the online manual has had a broken link for a long time. Since i have the optional dvbs2 tuner in my wetek play 2 i wanted to try to use tvheadend in kodi as my tuner instead of the factory tuner software. As far as being able to make a recording and then play it back in kodi I havent tried yet, but it seems like every time i try to do something in kodi I have to download some plugin to make it work so i assumed it would probably need a plugin to view 4.2.2. It is good to know that you didnt need to in your trials. Also since its all contained within the same stb the streaming part wouldnt apply, and I already read on the wetek forum that there isnt a way to do similar to time shift, record with factory tuner software and view recording on kodi while its being recorded. So it would have to be a recording then view on kodi after its finished. There was a lot of talk about using tvheadend to view 4.2.2 but a lot of that talk has died out so it may not be possible still. I have to really dig into the forums over on the wetek site and see.

I have used my AZBox Ultra (using 0.9.5402 firmware) to stream to my laptop to VLC, Kodi, and PotPlayer (which seems to me to be the best). When there were the H265 channels on 30W last year, the AZBox scanned them in as radio channels, which I then streamed to my laptop to receive audio and video. Worked fairly well.

Don't recall having to install an add-on to Kodi, just had to make a .strm file with the udp address needed

Easier for me to use the plugin. The pvr plugins are already in Kodi; just click enable, then configure. Put in Ip address of box then root/dreambox for user/pass and then name of bouquet which is Tv (Favourites). That's it. It scans the channels I have in favourites.

I realize your Azbox is not enigma system.

kodi tv.jpg

Catamount

Easier for me to use the plugin. The pvr plugins are already in Kodi; just click enable, then configure. Put in Ip address of box then root/dreambox for user/pass and then name of bouquet which is Tv (Favourites). That's it. It scans the channels I have in favourites.

Catamount

Yes, the plugin would definitely give you more control than my quick method, which was basically to see if Kodi worked better on the H265 channels than VLC (which it did) and then I found PotPlayer worked better than Kodi on those channels. Don't really use Kodi that much for anything, took a while to navigate to where all the PVR plugins reside!

Took me 20 minutes to find the PVR plugins yesterday. I had to change back to default skin LOL. Thanks for the Potplayer tip. Mostly had favored MPC over VLC but just installed potplayer and will play with that.
Looking forward to Schicks4 getting his wetek going with LibreElec

Schicks4, if you haven't already, go read Dark Sky's thread in the wetek forum at Rick's. He is using openelec on a Pi, but has images for wetek

Last edited:
Reactions: mr3p and Shicks4
Libreelec on micro SD card works well but make sure you use a fast card, like UHS Class 3 90mb/sec, otherwise the OS may seem laggy. My AZbox currently has OpenATV loaded so maybe this weekend I'll try out streaming to Kodi

View attachment 124594

Catamount
This is a bit of a duplicate question (I asked the same thing on Rick's Satellite forum), so I apologize. I am trying to do this with the AZBox Me. The Web Interface says that streaming is not supported and I can't find the Kodi plug-in anywhere in the list of extensions, etc. Is that plug-in available as a web download someplace? At least a couple of us over at Rick's would like to stream with our Me's. Thanks!

Status
Please reply by conversation.