Status
Please reply by conversation.

red hazard

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 13, 2003
St Louis Metro East (Illinois)
I installed a "FTA" Ku-band system years ago for my wife and was receiving KISB (AMC-4) and The Asia Network (TAN) (SES-1) for Korean programming. Eventually they both encrypted with VIACCESS and she subscribed to TAN. Last year KISB went teats up and yesterday, we received a letter from TAN, written in Korean so I do not know the precise particulars, indicating that TAN will start transfering subscribers to DirecTV starting in September. They will stop transmitting after subscribers have transferred. The regular prices and standard conditions, i.e. additional mandatory subscription to a basic package, will apply. Since we have never had DirecTV before, I suspect that the introductory deals will not be given as I highly suspect that TAN is getting a kick-back for each subscriber. IF we subscribe to DirecTV, it will not be through TAN arrangements as I want the best deal available of course. Does anyone have any further information regarding this transition?

Oh yeah, the abysmal Korean programming on Dishnetwork is not an option.

Last edited:
I would go through D* directly. If you go with HD you will need 2 dishes. The International dish sees 95 & 101. So they would put a Slimline and a DirectWorld dish. The world dish has been used for FTA as its a smidge smaller than a 30" dish. If you want SD only the World dish would work fine in most cases. There are some markets that require a different dish but if your profile location is right (STL) the SD locals are on 101 so you'll be OK

I do not have any info on the transition as of right now

Hook-up Diagram

I am fairly knowledgeable about the DN equipment but know little about the DTV equipment. Is there a diagram that shows how those 2 dishes would be connected to 2 receivers. What switch(s) is/are used? Also I do want HD programming. I understand that the latest SWM technology cannot be used with international programming in conjunction with HD programming. Also heard that solid Cu center conductors are required for DTV due to the use of DC signalling and E drops. I have Belden 7915a and 1694a inside but may have to change some of the outside runs with old DN coax.

Secondly, why does THE LIST not show the Ka-band HD DTV satellite info?

I dont think you can use a SWM with the International Dish. To combine the 2 dishes you use a 6x8 multiswitch

4 lines from the slimline (99/101/103/110/119) and one line from the 95W dish to the "flex" port

example of one from Ebay

as for thelist, Directv uses their own proprietary setup (DSS) whereas Dish and Bell use DVB. Its easier to get the info from them two versus Directv. I know some PC cards can see the DSS stuff but I dont know if there is one that can see KA Band (which HD is)

You better go with the Tan for the transition because they are offering transition customers 1 yr of basic programming free and from second year they are charging basic plus korean packages. If you go straight with dtv you are not qualified for that package.

You better go with the Tan for the transition because they are offering transition customers 1 yr of basic programming free and from second year they are charging basic plus korean packages. If you go straight with dtv you are not qualified for that package.

So the first year you only pay for the Korean programming package and get the mandatory basic package free, correct? And the second year it reverts to normal billing for the basic package plus the Korean package, correct? If so, I need to compare what kind of deal I can get from DTV as compared to 1 year of free basic programming if I understand your comment correctly. I was planning on subscribing to their top package plus HD and dumping Dish. They are offering some pretty good deals which includes an HD DVR Receiver plus a HD Receiver. What do you get with the TAN deal equipment wise?

Also, we paid TAN in advance for a year of programming that expires during Jan 2011. Are they going to to reimburse us for the months/days we do not use their service on SES-1? Also are they going to reimburse us for the VIACCESS SIM card that is now useless and we paid extra for? I own my own receiver and paid ~$25 for the SIM card.

Thanks

The mandatory basic package is the religion/shopping channels for 12.99 that are required as a minimum package for the INt'l channels. It does include locals too
DIRECTV: International Packages

BYU TV
CSPAN
CSPAN2
CCTV9
Church Channel
Daystar
EWTN
God TV
HSN
Jewelry
Link TV
NASA
NRB
QVC
Shop NBC
TCT
The 101
TBN
Word
CTN

I am to assume that is what they are crediting for 1 year

Thanks Ice. No doubt you are correct! A bunch of SD garbage channels plus SD LiLs using just the Interna'tl Dish and I am set-up for HD OTA locals and all 3 TVs we have are HD. Looks like I need to have the old lady call TAN and get some answers. I would bet that there is no reimbursement for months paid in advance and not received as they will say that they got you the basic package free for a year. I wonder what they will say if we state we do not want DirecTV?

I have the whole house DVR, HD programing and international (Korean) channels. I have two dishes installed and everything is combine via the SWM. My wife is able to watch her Korean programs on any of the 5 tv's. Red, if you want HD and Korean programing then the whole house DVR setup is the way to go.

I have the whole house DVR, HD programing and international (Korean) channels. I have two dishes installed and everything is combine via the SWM. My wife is able to watch her Korean programs on any of the 5 tv's. Red, if you want HD and Korean programing then the whole house DVR setup is the way to go.

Thanks for the heads-up. I read somewhere that the International Dish was not compatible with SWM technology. :confused: Please advise exactly what dishes you have and what switches are being used, number of receivers, etc. Thanks!

TAN starting broadcasting recently that the free 1 year basic programming package was a mistake and that you will have to subscribe minimally to the basic package and of course pay for it too. Going to DTV with the TAN referal is a terrible deal for the new subscriber but no doubt a great deal for TAN. I am still trying to figure out how to get the best deal for a new customer and am trying to understand the referal deal they have with existing subscribers mentioned as a sticky on this site.

DTV for more korean channels. If you want fewer korean channels with more English programming. Dish Network. Otherwise, if there is a korean market or video rental store in the area, that would also be a good choice for the latest tv series and shows.

FYI, each tape/DVD has 1 episode with a show and no English subtitles.

red hazard has the info in the 1st post

TAN is moving folks to D* and once done they'll cease on AMC4 (KU Band)

With Directv? or the subscription through Home2US?

Directv I assume it will be put on 95W
Home2US is on 101W (KU Band...SES1 formerly AMC4)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DIRECTV Serves Up Exclusive 3D Tennis Experience

Which Satellite & Azimuth for HD ESPN?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)