Ku band 4DTV receivers ?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
W_Tracy_Parnell said:
Thanks to all for the replies!

So I could (in theory) point my six-footer at G1 to get authorized on the 4DTV and after that use the 30 inch to get programming or would I need a fixed dish at G1. BTW, what sat is G1 anyway?

G1=Galaxy 15.

I think you can do what you're suggesting, but would need the fixed dish on G1 for guide updates. Incidentally, if you can get a strong enough signal (a big if), there's a ton of movie channels available on G1. The Starz/Encore channels are relatively easy to pull in, but the HBO/Cinemax channels are quite notorious for being hard to get.

Mike

Programming Center sells a Ku Digipack. It's a few bucks more than Skyvision but includes a few extra channels. To me it seems like a good value, if you don't want to go full bore motorized C-band.

There's some threads on the 4DTV forum about how some Ku-only users have downloaded maps by pointing at Anik F1R and fooling the system. Apparently it works, but it can be hit and miss. The best bet would still be to bring your receiver to someone's place with C-band and download the maps.

My understanding is that if you can live without the program guide you don't need to go back to G1 again.

Thanks guys!

I think it might be dicey with a six foot dish. I mentioned this in another post-my quality on VCII+ according to my Uniden was only 10 and needs to be 60. That was without adjusting the dish for better signal but it makes me wonder if it would work. I can't afford the 4DTV receiver right now after just buying the dish anyway, but it is something to think about for the future. :)

Last edited:
kymics said:
There's some threads on the 4DTV forum about how some Ku-only users have downloaded maps by pointing at Anik F1R and fooling the system. Apparently it works, but it can be hit and miss. The best bet would still be to bring your receiver to someone's place with C-band and download the maps.

I'd be careful doing this, that's going to pull the Starchoice channel maps and has been known to screw up the 920 and 922's. I think I've read where you can get away with it on a 905, but I've read about a lot of folks having to do master resets after getting their channel map screwed up by the Starchoice map.

kymics said:
My understanding is that if you can live without the program guide you don't need to go back to G1 again.

The only time I think you would need c-band again would be if you needed a rehit.

W_Tracy_Parnell said:
Thanks guys!

I think it might be dicey with a six foot dish. I mentioned this in another post-my quality on DCII+ according to my Uniden was only 10 and needs to be 60. That was without adjusting the dish for better signal but it makes me wonder if it would work. I can't afford the 4DTV receiver right now after just buying the dish anyway, but it is something to think about for the future. :)

That's your VC signal strength, but if you're only getting a 10 on G1 with VC then I don't think you'll be able to make it work either. :(

iammike said:
That's your VC signal strength, but if you're only getting a 10 on G1 with VC then I don't think you'll be able to make it work either. :(

Right-that's what I meant-VCII! (edited OP) :eek:

I might fool around with some of the western birds after it cools down.

iammike said:
I'd be careful doing this, that's going to pull the Starchoice channel maps and has been known to screw up the 920 and 922's. I think I've read where you can get away with it on a 905, but I've read about a lot of folks having to do master resets after getting their channel map screwed up by the Starchoice map.

The only time I think you would need c-band again would be if you needed a rehit.

Yes, I agree that for simplicity and safety it's best to go the C-band load/activation route and then live without the guide. I haven't looked into TitanTV yet, but I'm assuming that I could create a custom guide that shows all the Ku 4DTV channels. A quick scan of the PC could tell me what's on.

kymics said:
Yes, I agree that for simplicity and safety it's best to go the C-band load/activation route and then live without the guide. I haven't looked into TitanTV yet, but I'm assuming that I could create a custom guide that shows all the Ku 4DTV channels. A quick scan of the PC could tell me what's on.

You might also take a look at Zap2It. They support 4dtv, so the channel numbers will match up with the ones on your receiver. :)

TitanTV still doesn't have a 4dtv listing. :mad:

I do not see how the Star choice maps would give you the 4dtv usa maps? I do not see this working, you need C-band for you hits and autorization, you will not be able to get those on any Ku-band bird that I know of.

determined said:
I subscribe to the digital package and others from Sykvision which includes channels on X4 and can definitely answer some of your questions.

On X4 you will be able to get the fox movie channel, turner classic movies and the lifetime movie channel. The other movie channels can be tuned and a signal reading registered but you need a subscription to watch them and it will be for G1 and not X4. Other channels you can get on X4 are the history channel, national geographic, american life the outdoor challel, outdoor life network and several others including a big list of music channels. The movie channels are free by the way. To download the guide and to get your receiver authorized to receive subscribed channels, you must to be able to tune transponder 3 on satellite G1, which is C Band. There is no other place to get this done.

Since I am with skyvision, I do not know if another provider can authorize other channels on X4 but I am guessing they would not be able to do it.

Hope that helps. I love my big dish and its picture quality. No pizza pan for me.

Can you get HBO and Cinemax on X4 thru skyvison? If so Could I go over to a buddies place and have a KU 4dtv 922 activated on his CBand system then carry it back home using it exclusively on the X4 system. No Cband room here, but could easily mount a 96CM dish.

milnej said:
Can you get HBO and Cinemax on X4 thru skyvison? If so Could I go over to a buddies place and have a KU 4dtv 922 activated on his CBand system then carry it back home using it exclusively on the X4 system. No Cband room here, but could easily mount a 96CM dish.

No those feeds are not for 4dtv.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)