Ku band problem solved

Status
Please reply by conversation.

determined

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 10, 2005
Ohio
Back in November (I think) I posted a note saying I was stumped in getting Ku to work on my BUD. (10 ft. Winegard, General Instruments receiver, C & Ku dual feed horn, 24 inch actuator arm, new Astrotel pmj-lnb Ku LNB, older C band LNB.) C band was perfect, no K band. I got a lot of advice on dish alignment from here and other places but no success. Finally I decided that if the dish needed aligned any better that nobody could use Ku band because it was too sensitive. Therefore it must be equipment. I replaced the Astrotel Ku LNB with a Norsat 4206A. Now I can get all of the channels on X4 with a signal of 84 to 88 and a quality of 93 to 99, some feeds on X0, and the two digital channels on K3. I just wanted to tell you guys that sometimes it isn't alignment, it's equipment. The new Astrotel LNB was just defective. Now that I have it working I can see that the alignment is more sensitive than C band but there is a fair amount of room to move the dish and still get a good signal.

I have heard that those Astrotel LNBs are hit or miss I would stay away from them unless I could exchange them without mail charges. It's great when you get your dish up and running have fun.

Thanks for the note. When I first started this oddessy I called Skyvision and told them what I wanted to do. The told me what I needed to buy. Since then I'm a lot smarter about big dishes and the equipment. They are replacing the LNB but the Norsat 4206A I'm using now is far superior to what they sold me in my ignorance. Your tip is right on target. Merry Christmas.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)