Ku Dish upgrade and change LNBs

Status
Please reply by conversation.

TexRedNK

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 15, 2008
Dallas Tx Burbs
Hey guys, I finally sprung for an upgrade from my 31 in dish to a 36 inch dish. The physical instalation went well. However, I changed brands of LNBs and motors.
The original LNB is Sadoun's KUL! . The New LNB that came with the 36 inch dish is a Digiwav DG780. Both seem to have the same specs as to the RF freq, the IF freq and the LO freqs. and the relative Noise Figures.
I mounted this dish on the old motor, a PowerTech DG280B. I have also received a SG6000 which is rated to handle up to a 120 CM dish. I wanted the KISS principle, just change one item at a time.
Not to change more than one item in a chain, I installed the 36 in dish first and used the Digiwav LNB. Came in and pointed at several popular sats and NO Quality Signals ?? So I replaced the Digiwav with the original KUL1. Simular results, No Quality signals. Tweeked the physical rotation of the KUL1 and finally got a weak signal on Galaxy28 at 87 W .
I had used the field signal meter I normally use to set up DSS dishes on DTV and DN to make the fine-tune adjustments at the dish site. I did notice that the field meter recorded a much stronger signal from the Digiwav than it did from the KLU1. I figured that the motor was already alligned, so all I had to do was set a simular Declination Angle on the dish bracket. One thing noted: the 31 inch dish declination setting was around 38 degrees, but the 36 inch was a bit lower, near 32 degrees. I guessed that the look offest angle might be a bit different on the two dishes.
I usually watch the ABC back-feeds on Galaxy 28 89.0 W. Since I had NO quality signal, I did a Powerscan on my Mercury II receiver and picked up two new channels off EchoStar ??:confused:. BUT NONE of the feeds off Galaxy 28.
So where am I going wrong ? Is Echostar on a slightly lower arc than Galaxy 28. I tried searching in Elevation and the only signals I found were at the lower declanition setting. Confused about where or what to check next
icon9.gif

TexRedNk

Set the motor to 0 and aim for 97w your true south. To get you started peak on 12152 H 20000, which is a strong TP. Russia Today, etc are channels there. Make sure your receiver is set for an lnb freq. of 10750 or standard and power is on. Using the DBS meter you are probably picking up signals from 91w or 77w. If you are using USALS your location would be 97.0 w 33.0 n depending on your exact location. Using a compass point at 178.10. Make sure there is no skew, IE 0. I`ve never used the digiwave lnb but I would start out by having any lnb as far back or flush with the holder as possible and then adjust accordingly. Remember to make adjustments in very small steps. 1/16 to 1/8 inch at a time. Be sure to read your original motor documentation and set the dish elevation accordingly. Hope this helps and good luck.

Thanks Giha, Yes, I did go back to 97 W and peak signal with the DSS meter. Then then I commanded the motor to go to position. Still no quality signal. So I went back to zero. Then used the step function to go to position. Eventually go a good quality signal. Then saved that position in the receiver's memory.
Then I went to Galazy 28 and did the same proceedure to get a quality signal and saved to the receiver. I am hoping I don't have to do this with every SAT ? I am probably still slightly off on my basic set up.
When I get time, I plan to check out the other SATS near the horizons. Do you have any suggestions on how to tweek the mechanics to the motor will track the Clark Belt ARC better ? I have read elswhere that I may have to sacrafice Sig Quality on the high SATs in get usable Sig Quality on the ends of the ARC ?

LESSON LEARNED: Don't try to set up a dish and motor on a SAT that is NOT the Southern Most Sat in the field of view !

C Ya !

Hi again Ghia, I have a SG-6000 motor. Don't know how different that is from YOUR SG-2100.
I presently am using the Fortec Mercury II receiver.
QUESTION: What is the correct proceedure to reset the memory in both the motor and receiver to position zero ?
ALSO If I change the position on one satellite in the receiver's memory, does that also move the reference for all other SATs ?

My motor has a reset button on it that can be used. There is a small hole that you stick a pin or similar in. I've never used it and am not sure if the 6000 has the same feature.

The reference postion should be 0. So not matter where you are at if you select go to reference it should move your motor to zero. I've never worked with any of the Fortec receiver's but would imagine there is something similar in the unit. USALS the receiver stores the postions, DiSEqC 1.2 the motor stores it.

If you wanted to start over, which might be a good option, Use the go to reference, look under motor control DiSEqC 1.2 or similar. Unhook the coax from the receiver and then verify that the motor is at zero by looking at the markings on the motor. (Be sure to power off via switch or unplug the receiver first, not just in standby) Verify that your dish is pointed as I posted above and that you motor and dish settings are correct.

Somewhere in your receiver there should be a reset all data option that will wipe out all the stored settings, tp's channels etc. Do that and then I would suggest sticking with USALS at first. Set your location, sat position etc. for 97W (G19 is the current name or could say IA5 G25 Telstar 5) Power off and connect the coax, power on and then blind scan. If your dish is aimed porperly you will be set, + / - some tweaking, if not you may still get tp's and channes but may not be pointed at the right bird. Report back and we can figure out from there.

As a side note, this thread should probably be in the FTA discussion area and would get more response there than here.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)