Ku on a big BUD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tonydix

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 22, 2007
Bocas del Toro, Panama
Does anyone have any information about successfully receiving Ku band signals on a BUD. I am particularly interested in which LNB was used.
Thanks
Tony

We talked about using a Ku LNBF on a BUD in this other thread:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-ai...-own-ku-c-band-feedhorn-but-i-am-failing.html

Please don't get caught up in his convoluted discussion of where to mount the LNB, I only point you to that thread for the discussion of WHICH LNBf to try.
Now, that said, I know your 24 foot dish isn't going to have the surface accuracy to focus the signal down onto a 2 inch LNBf.
But I'd give it a try! - :up

Tony, check out my thread http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-ai...-own-ku-c-band-feedhorn-but-i-am-failing.html

Im using this right now, which is cheap and is giving me a decent signal based on the beams I should get in Central Mexico

11udow5.jpg

I just ordered this one to see if my signal improves, supposedly is better for prime focus dishes, some members here say that's false advertising so who knows? I will try it out and share my experience

11abvbb.jpg

I have a 10' Winegard Quadstar with a BSC621-2. I receive C and Ku across the entire arc. Ku is usually lower quality, but I am able to pick up lots of TPs.

I was considering putting up another BUD but was concerned about the depth of it for Ku. I asked about this in other threads, and basically what it sounds like to me is that a 1.2m offset might be the best for Ku. Then just use BUD for C-band.

I think I might be putting up a motorized 1.2m soon to used as dedicated Ku. - But overall, the Ku seems great on the BUD now. I am just curious if there are TPs I am missing and/or if the quality could be higher on a 1.2m than on a BUD.

I have a 10' Winegard Quadstar with a BSC621-2. I receive C and Ku across the entire arc. Ku is usually lower quality, but I am able to pick up lots of TPs.

I bought 2 of those models (but the "dedicated" version, meaning not the one with the jumper cable) and was never able to make them work with my Coolsat 6000, hours and hours of frustration, they are now gathering dust on some shelf

5l30vb.jpg

? He asked about LNBs, and every response is talking about LNBFs ???

I wouldn't think it would matter much what LNB was used.

I took a BSC621, separated the Ku lnb and installed that lnb on a 10 foot mesh. It has a flat scalar ring built in and fits nicely into a regular scalar ring. It picks up much better than a DN lnb I modified to 10750 LO. It might be because of the flat scalar vs. the conical scalar that lots of the offset lnbs have. I don't know what the f/d ratio is but it also works well on a 5 foot mesh. With the 5 foot, I can easily lock on the S-2 signals from 125W. Isn't experimenting fun? Good luck.

I've used a Corotor II and a 621. Corotor works much better than the 621.
Neither one is easy to get dialed in on a BUD.
Expect plenty of tinkering, fijiting, adjusting, head-scratching, beating, banging, gnashing-of-teeth, and just all-out stress.
In other words, take your time and don't lose hope...
Dot your t's and cross your i's.

I've used a Corotor II and a 621. Corotor works much better than the 621.
Neither one is easy to get dialed in on a BUD.
Expect plenty of tinkering, fijiting, adjusting, head-scratching, beating, banging, gnashing-of-teeth, and just all-out stress.
In other words, take your time and don't lose hope...
Dot your t's and cross your i's.

I agree be very pationt and you will succeed .

I've used an SL1P - GEOSATpro SINGLE STANDARD KU PRIME FOCUS LNBF from SatelliteAV. I've used it with good success on my 1.8m fixed dish with an adapter bracket that is available from Sadoun and others. The price is very good as well. Please ignore if you are just looking for an LNB.

for the best performance get a corotor II feedhorn with c and ku band lnbs. You will need an analog receiver to position the servo motor on the feedhorn. you can find dirt cheap analog receivers on ebay.

the combo c/ku lnbfs have somewhat dissapointing results on ku in my opinion.

a way to get around the servo motor is to get a dual c dual ku orthomode feedhorn.
it requires two c band lnbs and two ku lnbs. basically an lnb for each band and each polirity.

you would then need a 4x4 multiswitch that would use coax voltage and a 22khz tone to switch between the appropriate lnbs as you flip channels on your receiver. this system works quite well but usually costs more.

a way to get around the servo motor is to get a dual c dual ku orthomode feedhorn.
it requires two c band lnbs and two ku lnbs. basically an lnb for each band and each polirity.

you would then need a 4x4 multiswitch that would use coax voltage and a 22khz tone to switch between the appropriate lnbs as you flip channels on your receiver. this system works quite well but usually costs more.

A Bullseye II dual band, dual feedhorn tends to be on the pricey side. I've read it does a good job. I'd hope so considering the $$$ one would have to fork out. The cheapest I've seen this feed is about $320, plus LNBs.

I use the BSC321P mentioned above. I have it fixed beside the c-band feedhorn with a homemade mount. The Ku satellites track approximately 8 degrees to the east of the c-band position. The performance is satisfactory. This is on a 7.5' mesh dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts