This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Ku Satellite Dish Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Today I got in touch with the owner of the dish, and he still does not know if his people are going to use it. He said "Hold to it for a bit while longer", and that he will give me a call in about a week one way or another....So I am still the custodian of the dish....I try not to notice it, out of sight, out of mind.

I have just received notice that I am to keep the dish which I was the custodian for almost two months.,the original owner called while I was out helping my daughter paint her house.

Now I need all the help and advice I can get in making this dish workable...... First of all, it looks like I might have some problem adapting a motor to it without some major recomfiguring.....Might have to use the non penetrating roof mount frame....Is the present mounted LNBF useable, if not what would be the best K/u LNBF to use. with this dish.

Might have to get in touch with Stogie5150 for some well needed knowledge and advice of how to go about and getting this dish all setup.

Well needless to say I am very happy to know that now I can actually take it apart and do something with it.....Right now I have other thing that need to be done and taking care of before working on the dish..... Will keep you guys informed on the progress.

Thank You.

Let the fun begin.

Here are some pictures of the removed LNB(F)s, the big block is the ODU transmitter KU 1 watt, the little one is a "LNB KU BAND PLL"....Can the PLL LNB be use as a straight on and stand alone LNB for FTA purpose, or do I need to replace it with another LNBF, if so then the LNBF attachment point to the LNB arm will have to be modified.

This dish setup will take some modification if a motor is to be use. For one thing the pole will have to be big in diameter, I have not measured the dish bracket yet....One step at a time. More to come.

Attachments

• FILE0220.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 309
  • FILE0219.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 298
  • FILE0218.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 281
  • FILE0217.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 286
Avenger, that is the exact same dish that I have, and am talking about in this thread here:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/312927-GEOTRACK-Silent-Gold-107-H-H-Motor

It says "ASC Signal, with Part #3040942, and Mold # 1.25M, same as yours.

It is going to be a challenge to motorize this dish, because of the weight (estimated 40 pounds+ with adapter plate and ortho feed with LNBs).

The only USALS-type motor that I think might be capable of swinging it from H-to-H is the STAB 120, available from a vendor in Canada for about $160 USD, shipped. Other options are to install it on a BUD polar mount...or possibly a BUD H-H mount if you can come up with one...kinda like I did here:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads...fset-on-Birdview-H-H-mount?highlight=prodelin

As far as your feed goes, I believe you could use the receive portion, but you would be limited to one polarity as it is configured now.

Here is the setup I am planning on using on mine, these feeds were pretty cheap on eBay a while back, wish I had gotten more than 1.

It's a very nice dish, just gonna take some effort to motorize and come up with a feed setup.

This recent thread might be helpful:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/312912-MY-1-2-dish-on-new-mount-version-2
and look over my comments about the OP's improvements.
Quite possibly his original bracket / approach might have been better.
He shows before and after pictures.

As for a feedhorn, the original is probably best.
However, getting it a suitable LNB might take some searching.
I wouldnt put that ortho and two heavy LNBs on a motorized dish.
Reasons discussed in thread above.

For now, I would simply equip the dish with SatAVs Standard Ku PLL LNBF.

Congratulations Avenger, that is a nice setup! Personally, I'd keep it as a fixed dish. I'm sure it is a very heavy beast. There are a few satellites that it would be beneficial to keep a nice large dish like that fixed on.

After removing the original LNBF from the dish, decided to make a LNBF holder/bracket for the Invacom SNH-031, the original horn is about 1" longer or closer to the dish face making my makeship LNBF holder 1" farther away from the dish face.

I am wondering if I can use the original LNBF horn with the only original Ku band PLL LNBF that came with the dish. I have not taken the feed horn assembly/system apart because I have no idea how electrically to connect or set the Ku band PLL section to the feed horn. If any one have done the modification to this type of LNBF system, please inform me of how to electrically hook up and connect the Ku band PLL section to the rest of the feed horn.

Thanking you in advance.

PS...phlatwound, I noticed your setup from post #27, but your LNBF does not resembles my Ku band PLL LNBF, yours seems to be much bigger and more squared than mine.

Did you made a cover plate for the open end of the block?

Thanks again.

Last edited:
To use that horn you need another LNB and a multiswitch. I can show ya what to do with it, I just cant do it in the next few days...too much work to be done. But I'll learn ya up.

Grover8, we basically have the same dish and feed horn. My Ku band LNB is of the PLL type, I don't really know if it is of any use as it is for FTA. According to stogie5150 we need a different LNB and a multiswitch to make this feed horn to work.

I would like to get this dish all ready to receive the Satellites maybe by using the GEOSATpro GS120 (if it is strong enough) motor that I have. So far I have a 1m dish with the GEOSATpro GS120 motor which I have not been able to get anything out of it, will remove the motor and make it a stationary dish for the 30W satellite.

Well as soon as stogie5150 have some free time, maybe he could share some well deserved advice, and be able to help both of us at the same time... As soon as I get more information, I will gladly share it with you, and hope that you do the same.

Got to find a way to motorize the 1.2m dish. I am wondering if the GEOSATpro GS120 and the HH 120 which I have heard mentioned many times are basically the same type of motors. Until then I will keep researching for more information on the dish system that we have.

...I am wondering if the GEOSATpro GS120 and the HH 120 which I have heard mentioned many times are basically the same type of motors....

I know nothing of the GEOSATPro motors, but I would guess they are not in the same weight capacity class of the STAB HH120. Maybe Brian could comment on this, he has probably compared them somewhere down the line.

In my opinion you need to get the STAB HH120...or a BUD linear polar or H-H mount. All of these options will require some fabrication, with the STAB requiring the least.

You wont motorize that dish without the STAB motor. The little motors just wont move that big dish, I tried it. Best option is converting a polar mount and use the gbox to move an actuator. But then you have to find a used polar mount..LOL....then do all the mods...you really need to come see mine to see what all I had to go through on the polar mount conversion. It wasn't easy. I made a lot of gray hairs.
I have a 1.2 just like it in the loft because I have nowhere to use it. And no way to easily motorize it.

The GS120 was a good solid motor, but the STAB HH120 is a workhorse with great gearing for lifting big dishes off the horizon. Hands down... the HH120 would be a great choice.

I'm still waiting for my motor to arrive but I found very good install instructions for my dish and yours. It's not the same name but the parts looks exactly the same. It could be a re-branded dish.

http://www.satcomnow.com/satcom/pdf/SkywareGlobal_123man.pdf

I won't know if I can motorize this dish until I get my motor but as far as the LNB, I think I know what to do. I'm going to remove that feedhorn and totally not use it. I'm going to put my Geosat PLL with the plastic enclosure on secured with a long screw. It should be around the same angel and distance as the current feedhorn is right now. I can't justify getting a new ku pll lnb for $150 and doing another step to use that feedhorn. My $17 ku pll lnb should be able to work.

I'll try to have new pictures this weekend on this build. Also looking from the install instructions, i'm missing a lot of washers and lock ring and nuts. I need to make a trip to the hardware store this weekend.

I just have the reflector and feed support assembly for my ASC Signal 1.2m, so I can't compare the mount and mounting hardware, but I agree, everything else looks identical to the pics in that .pdf.

For some reason all the words in that .pdf have random spaces and missing letters when I view it on my laptop, weird. The pics show up fine though, not sure what the issue is.

Will be interested to see how your motor transaction works out, never got anything from Canada before, might be some delay involved in border crossing?

I just received my motor today. Here are some pics. I haven't installed it on the tripod yet. I'll do that this weekend. The shaft is 2" in diameter. I'm trying to figure out how I'm gonna mount it.

Attachments

• IMG_0049.JPG
    662.5 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_0050.JPG
    832.5 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_0051.JPG
    874 KB · Views: 203
So I ordered the back assembly from a 1.2m Geosat dish (7-10 business days). I will remove the az/el mount that is currently on my 1.2m dish and retrofit the 1.2m geosat back assembly onto it with a block of wood. Like in photo below.

My question is will this affect the elevation now since i'm using a part not designed for the 1.2m Andrew dish? I'll keep the lnb arms and just put my geosat pll lnb. Now i'm trying to figure out if it has to be dead center because the neck is small and it raises the lnb up a little bit. Does it matter if it's the same angle but moved up a little bit? and also the distance? the feedhorn is all the way in the front. Should i move the geosat pll lnb there or can i have it where the neck of the lnb mount is?

I'll try to somehow use the lnb stablizers on the back of the dish once i have my retrofit mount on.

Thanks for all your help guys. Any other ideas or suggestions are welcomed.

Attachments

• back assembly.JPG
    1.4 KB · Views: 286
  • back assembly 2.JPG
    1.3 KB · Views: 257
  • Satellite%20005.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 237
Status
Please reply by conversation.