KuSat

Bell_in_Boston

Original poster
Dec 5, 2008
Boston
Hi guys,

I've just found this forum, after posting/reading elsewhere for a long time.

I was reading the Broker thread in the stickies section, but it was closed three years ago, just when it seemed to be getting interesting.

About 8 years ago, KuSat sold me an ExpressVu 2700 and set up my account (which is listed at my brother's address in Canada - no need for brokers!)

I'm beginning to think the 2700 might be on its last legs, so I'm thinking of upgrading. Esp given my DirecTV systems now have me addicted to DVR-capabilities.

Is KuSat still the best place for those of us in the US (at least, who can buy direct, and not through a broker) to go for equipment? Ebay?

I'd love a 9242, but the $600 is somewhat off-putting for me.

Thanks

Be careful with Bell. They have changed their coverage map. Not sure how it is now but down here where i live in south florida..I cant get sat 91 or 82..

I have stayed with Starchoice-Solid signal! No issues.

Other people have reported that their signal in Boston is fine with both 82W & 91W. It makes sense being so close to the border.

Give Kusat a call, it won't take ong to find out. If you still have an account go to a Bell Store in Canada and you should be able to get the 9242 for $599.00 and then get a credit back of $300 on you billing statement.

The 9242 even with the few issues it has is by far the best TV receiver Canada has to offer it's people.

Star Choice is apparently working on many of the software upgrades to make the 530 close to the 9242 in function ability, now we just have to wait and see if they can deliver...:hungry:

Thanks guys.

I'm out of the country right now, but will call KuSat when I'm back later this week.

Their website does list the $300 in credits on a 9242 as for new customers only, while us old existing customers simply have to pay $595. However, maybe they have a way of helping out their loyal return customers?

In Boston, I had great signal strengths through about Nov 20 - so all through the Nimiq4 change-over. Most of my signal strengths on 82 were actually higher than when I put the second LNB up a year earlier (which I understood to be the goal of Nimiq 4 for folks in Canada!)

Around Nov 20, I started having major issues on 91 and 82. The SW21 switch appeared 'dead', and when I took it out of the system and ran either LNB feed straight into the receiver, all sorts of weird things happened. Tps came and went, signal fluctuated wildly on some. Then the channels on tps with strong signal started showing up in false color. Other times, no channel would display even tho the signal for the relevant tp seemed strong and constant.

There is a chance this could be wiring issues - but I was two days away from flying to other side of the world, so I didn't get the chance to investigate. Next weekend! However the false color and no-channel-on-strong-signal also made me wonder if the 2700 was dying, and hence started my research into new receiver possibilities.

I'll let you know what KuSat says.
Meanwhile - next question in a new thread