KVH TracVision LM - how to bench test

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tkcas01

Original poster
Oct 27, 2008
I just had this system removed from my rig to upgrade to a Winegard HD antenna. The KVH was working before removal. I have some folks interested in buying it so I wanted to show them it works. Is there anything special I need to do? I tried running 12volts to the terminals, but when connected I am only getting 4 volts across the terminals. If I take the wires off and put the multimeter on them, I get 13+ volts. I have the communication cable connected to an old DirecTV receiver, just like when it was installed and have it also connected to the terminal block.

Could it be as simple as the wires running the 12 volt are just too long and I am getting a voltage drop under load, or am I doing something wrong? I am not sure what to do with the "shield" terminal on the terminal block.

I just had this system removed from my rig to upgrade to a Winegard HD antenna. The KVH was working before removal. I have some folks interested in buying it so I wanted to show them it works. Is there anything special I need to do? I tried running 12volts to the terminals, but when connected I am only getting 4 volts across the terminals. If I take the wires off and put the multimeter on them, I get 13+ volts. I have the communication cable connected to an old DirecTV receiver, just like when it was installed and have it also connected to the terminal block.

Could it be as simple as the wires running the 12 volt are just too long and I am getting a voltage drop under load, or am I doing something wrong? I am not sure what to do with the "shield" terminal on the terminal block.

I doubt that it's the length of wire ...

I would check on the KVH website to see if theres a tech support anywhere.

You are headed in the right direction... I think you have an amperage issue. Where are you getting the 12 volts from?? Most vehicles run at 14.4.... So try it Hooked up to a running vehicle

You are headed in the right direction... I think you have an amperage issue. Where are you getting the 12 volts from?? Most vehicles run at 14.4.... So try it Hooked up to a running vehicle
Yeah, I was pulling 12 volt off a circuit in the coach and it was dropping voltage when I would connect the dome. Hooked it directly to the battery in the toad and away it went! Also, the communication cable was not original, so the wire colors did not match the terminal block label. Fortunately, the manual I found online gave enough info that I could use an ohm meter to verify the 3 leads I needed for the IRC feedback. Got it going. Now if I can just get someone to come buy the thing!

:popcorn

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)