L4.01 For ViP622 Is Coming!

I honestly dont know why they go on these national chats and announce solid dates when they never make these dates.

Personally I would believe a used car salesman anyday over Dan Minnick and Mark Jackson.

I honestly dont know why they go on these national chats and announce solid dates when they never make these dates.
]

Like Microsoft did with Vista? Or when it promised a 5th service pack for W2k (which I do still use) and then changed their minds? Very familiar story ;-)

"delayed indefinitely" - much worse than "soon" but only slightly worse than "temporarily delayed?" :confused:

Ok dont know how true this is, but I am hearing one of the reasons for the delay is so that the 622 can be the first receiver to support the "locals on the 8's" feature on the weather channel.

I am hearing some interactive code needs to be changed on the 622, and in addition John H has let me know that there is some data changes on The Weather Channel which makes it appear they are working on this feature.

Ok dont know how true this is, but I am hearing one of the reasons for the delay is so that the 622 can be the first receiver to support the "locals on the 8's" feature on the weather channel.

I am hearing some interactive code needs to be changed on the 622...
Hard to believe that this kind of req'd change snuck up on Dish though....

"delayed indefinitely" - much worse than "soon" but only slightly worse than "temporarily delayed?" :confused:

The last time I heard the phrase "Delayed Indefinitely" from them was for activating the firewire output on the 921 and the internet functionality on the 721 and 921..... That didn't work out too well.....

If the delay is to give us Local on the 8's though, ..... I'll bite my tongue and give them the benefit of the doubt for a few weeks.

Is this supposed to be identical to the version we can see from channel 100 now, or is it more in depth?

Local on the 8's remains the only thing I miss about Cable TV. In depth forecasts and full screen radar..... The truncated version on Channel 100 is OK, but still pales...

The last time I heard the phrase "Delayed Indefinitely" from them was for activating the firewire output on the 921 and the internet functionality on the 721 and 921..... That didn't work out too well.....

Oh, joy! :( :( :(

Scope Creep!

Add something, increment the version number, test it, release it. Fix bugs, increment version number, test it, release it.

Do above for every new feature. Sure, it might mean updates every two weeks, but it will make troubleshooting that much easier.

Delaying a project to add new features usually ends badly. Too much pressure to meet the deadline you already promised, and now you have an even more complex upgrade. Good luck Dish programmers, you need it!

Yeah, implementing a bunch of changes in one release is just bad programming. Do one or two things at a time to minimize unforseen problems when you release it into the wild.

Yeah, implementing a bunch of changes in one release is just bad programming. Do one or two things at a time to minimize unforseen problems when you release it into the wild.

Thank you. That's just the way it should be done but NO Dish Network wants to do a whole bunch of implementations and fixes in one shot. Like if they were good at software updates.:confused:

I am sure test, test, testing is what has been taking so long for this to come. I for one would love this feature if...

It really does look like the locals on the 8's just like our neighborhood cable subscribers get. Meaning the details we get on the path to TWC interactive thing that we get does not compare with cables' local on the 8's.

The weather forecast should only be based on your zip code. That would make this feature even better than what cable has as some (like mine!) covers a wide area and the alerts cable sends out to many folks who the alert does not affect. I can remember times alerts were not sent out until the storm was right on top of us already.. NO WARNING there.. That is TWC for the Hudson Valley that covers Orange and Sullivan Counties in New York. This is because Orange and Sullivan Counties are covered by two different NWS offices. Sullivan by Binghamton and Orange by New York City (Upton). The cable company is ONLY tied in to the Upton office here so Sullivan is left behind.
NWS weather radio SAME codes should be considered here. The NWS issues forecasts and warnings for all counties. Every county in the USA has a SAME code. If you have a weather radio with weather alert it sounds off. If you have one that you can program a SAME code into it, it will alert you to your local emergencies ONLY.

The general forecast should be for your local area. And....

One more thing.. a perfect feature..
Emergency Alerts no matter what you are watching on all channels. Weather Alerts or any Public Emergency Alert of any kind for your area or a national emergency. Then an ITV feature box to click "yes" and view the alert or "no" to go back to sleep.
Just kidding about the go back to sleep thing but in the wake of 9/11 a feature like this is necessary. JIMO

Last edited:
I suspect Dish's programmers work on more than just one model receiver. Also, many features are shared between receivers and because the hardware varies, what works on one may or may not work exactly the same on another model.

It really does look like the locals on the 8's just like our neighborhood cable subscribers get. Meaning the details we get on the path to TWC interactive thing that we get does not compare with cables' local on the 8's.

The weather forecast should only be based on your zip code. That would make this feature even better than what cable has as some (like mine!)

If you go into Dish Home you can see what it will look like. There's a Weather Channel Local Weather selection under NEWS, I was looking at it last night. It's not the same as that INSTANT WEATHER app that's been in there.

I think all this software update is going to do is bring up that interactive app when you go to 214.

Is the software update what is causing so many people to lose the settings on the interactive weather channel on 100? Both my 301 and 510 are being effected and the've never had that problem.

If you go into Dish Home you can see what it will look like. There's a Weather Channel Local Weather selection under NEWS, I was looking at it last night. It's not the same as that INSTANT WEATHER app that's been in there.

I think all this software update is going to do is bring up that interactive app when you go to 214.

I hope not mine says unavalible all time never says the temps info ever

Hello, I'm new here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)