L4.01 For ViP622 Is Coming!

I honestly don't think you will see this feature. The demand for it is so low- how long has it been since an HDTV has been sold that does not accept all of the commonly used ATSC signals? Do even the low end CRTs lack this feature today?

Even if there was demand, you'd likely have bought a new HDTV before Dish would release such a feature. There are too many other items in the que ahead of it.

Tell this to everyone who rushed out to get a Playstation 3. There was such an uproar by RP CRT owners that they had to make a statement as soon as the news broke that all their 720p games would DOWNCONVERT to 480p rather than scale to 1080i. CRT owners were screwed, and they were angry.

I am one of them. I want the exact same feature described here, not just native passthrough, but the ability to select a resolution and then tell the receiver what to do with it. I think it is more "in demand" than you are thinking.

I'd vote for native pass through. Selective native pass through would be nice for those with old TV's but I doubt it would ever happen. Like navychop says, there are too many other things on the list and the percentage of people with old TVs just goes down and down as more time passes. Its the name of the technology game. You have to buy every few years to get the latest and greatest features, otherwise you have to deal with what you have. No reason to expect new technology to adapt to you.

From what I am hearing from Beta testers the new software works really well and is really solid.

There is only one feature I hope is present in this upgrade, and thats the ability for the receiver to automatically change output resolutions based on content. I'm sick and tired of constantly having to switch between 1080i and 480p depending on what I'm watching.

Why are you switching? I set mine to 1080i...everything looks fine to me.

EDIT: nm, I see you have one of those old hybrid 4:3 HDTV's.

I agree with previous poster. You are more likely to buy a new tv than they are to give you what you want.

EDIT: nm, I see you have one of those old hybrid 4:3 HDTV's.

I agree with previous poster. You are more likely to buy a new tv than they are to give you what you want.

Can't DannyR just set his output to 1080i / 4:3 at the receiver? That should make all content viewable I believe.

I hate to tell anyone to spend money, but DannyR is REALLY doing himself an injustice by having a 4:3 TV for watching HD. His TV has got to be crazy old for an HD compatible. So with that said, I would buy a new HD TV ASAP. Your overall picture quality will probably be so much better too.

Last edited:
It would be a simple table, there's three supported input resolutions:
1080i, 720p, 480i and 4 supported output resolutions (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i),

So you build a table:
Code:
Input Res      Output Res

1080i            1080i
 720p             720p
 480i            1080i

It really isn't that complex. 4:3 vs 16:9 is irrelevant.

Cheers,

Very simple. The scaler in both of my displays are better than the scaler in the 622. I get better picture quality by switching to the native rate of the channel. It does make a difference but if you don't know what to watch for, you won't see it.

It is possible that for some sets you won't notice a difference.

Cheers,

Has anyone got any new information as to when this is going to take place?

This site is very good at information on released software and hardware. But as for rumours and so called sources you would be right more times by flipping a coin on release dates than trusting a post that says they have a source from this site.
I think one of them on the tech chat said "end of this month" then quickly someone said "March 1st".
My "Source" says this thursday (March 1st). ;)

It would be a simple table, there's three supported input resolutions:
1080i, 720p, 480i and 4 supported output resolutions (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i),

So you build a table:
Code:
Input Res      Output Res

1080i            1080i
 720p             720p
 480i            1080i

It really isn't that complex. 4:3 vs 16:9 is irrelevant.

Cheers,
If you'll look into stream and guts of your receiver, you'll see a LOT of resolutions and a LOT of conversions :)
Only SD have four sets: 704, 640, 480, 384; plus HD: 1280, 1440, 1920 x1080 , 1280x720.

If you'll look into stream and guts of your receiver, you'll see a LOT of resolutions and a LOT of conversions :)
Only SD have four sets: 704, 640, 480, 384; plus HD: 1280, 1440, 1920 x1080 , 1280x720.

We're only interested in the horizontal lines of resolution. So you have
480 for SD, and 720 and 1080 for HD.

1280x1080 and 1440x1080 (your other listings for HD) define the vertical lines of resolution.

And once again, 16:9 vs 4:3 are aspect ratios which are handled seperately from the scan lines of the source.

Cheers,

DannyR is REALLY doing himself an injustice by having a 4:3 TV for watching HD. His TV has got to be crazy old for an HD compatible. So with that said, I would buy a new HD TV ASAP. Your overall picture quality will probably be so much better too.

Its a 5 year old Sony... not quite ancient. The HD is not as good as the newest TV's I've seen that have 1080p resolution, but its hardly bad enough to toss the set yet.

And of course even if I got a new set, I'd still probably choose a 4:3 size screen, as I don't see myself watching more HD content than not anytime in the next 5 years or so. Strangely, while I don't mind the black bars on the top and bottom when watching HD shows, I can't stand black bars on the left/right or the various stretch modes a 16:9 set would need to use to eliminate them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)