L448/HDMI issue?

brandonm71

Original poster
Dec 27, 2007
Hi everyone,

I'm a first time poster so try and take it easy on me as I try to describe the problem in full :)

Here's the situation:

On December 23rd I was hanging out watching tv on my VIP622 receiver when I decided to hit the hay for the night. Everything was working as normal, with no signs of any issues. I have my 622 hooked up to my Panasonic TH-50PX60U televison through HDMI on TV1, and have never noticed any problems with this setup. When I awoke the next morning, instead of the usual Dish Network messages that flash across the screen while the receiver is turned off, I saw only a black screen. After turning the receiver on and off, my first thought was to power cycle the receiver. This did not solve my problem, so I decided to go and see if TV2 was working in the other room. TV2, which is hooked up through a coax cable in my bedroom was working fine.

My next thought was that this could be a problem with my television. To test this I switched an Xbox 360, as well as my dvd player into the HDMI port on my television. Both devices were working perfectly. I then switched the HDMI cable connected to my 622 out with the cable I used for my DVD player. While the cable worked fine with the dvd player, I was still stuck with a black screen when using this cable with my 622. I then moved to TV2 in my bedroom and hit the 'Reset HDMI' button within the diagnostics menu. This also did not fix the problem. While scrolling through the different status messages under the 'Disp. Info' section of the HDMI test menu, I noticed that on status 1, there was a message that said:

RxKsv: 00 00 00 00 00 (Invalid!)

Additionally, when I scrolled to Info 2, a message flashed up that said:

ERR: formatted_edid: -248

At this point, I checked on this forum to see if anyone else was having any issues. I didn't notice any new topics on the issue, although I did see several old topics on this forum, as well as another forum on the web discussing a hardware issue with the 622s HDMI port. Figuring this was probably the root of my troubles, I contacted Dish Tech support, and after going over everything that the rep could think of, she agreed to have a replacement 622 sent to my house.

Today the receiver arrived, and after switching out the cables (once again hooking the new 622 to my HDMI port), I turned the receiver on and much to my delight, I was met with the 'point dish'screen. Seemingly having the problem solved, I ran the check switch, and then followed the prompts until the software upgrade screen appeared. Everything up to this point was showing up perfectly on my new receiver. After the software update, however, my receiver rebooted, and after waiting several minutes for the reboot to complete and the power lights to come back on, I was once again met with a black screen. I checked my second television once again, and sure enough, it was working perfectly. I then ran the HDMI test from my second tv, and I was met with the same error messages that I listed above from the first receiver. Also, I did make sure the Dish was in dual mode and that TV1 on the receiver was turned on when performing the HDMI test.

Once again, I called Dish tech support, explained the entire situation, jumped through a few hoops, and they told me I could send the replacement receiver back since both receivers were having the same trouble. I now have my old receiver hooked back up through composite cables, and I suppose I can stomach going without my HD channels until I can pick up a set of component cables, which I will probably use until this is resolved. My software version on both receivers showed up as L448. I'm sure if this was a widespread software problem, it would probably be a hot topic on this forum. However, the fact that everything was working perfectly on my replacement 622 until it updated makes me wonder if there is some sort of remote issue with this update.

Sorry for writing a novel on here, but I was trying to rule out some of the obvious suggestions before anyone read this post. If anyone has a fix, advice, or an explanation for this problem, I'd be happy to hear them out.

Short response to a part of your email...they should be able to cross-ship a replacement so you're not without sat/HD. I had them do the same a few wks ago when my HDMI port tanked...only took 2 days for the replacement to arrive. The 622 is known to have HDMI issues like you experienced.

Short response to a part of your email...they should be able to cross-ship a replacement so you're not without sat/HD. I had them do the same a few wks ago when my HDMI port tanked...only took 2 days for the replacement to arrive. The 622 is known to have HDMI issues like you experienced.

Thanks for the quick reply. I know it's a humongous post, but if you get a chance to read further, they did send out a replacement receiver, which unfortunately experienced the same issue upon updating the receiver (right after the check switch, but before receiver activation). This is the part that makes me think it has something to do with the software.

I will agree with you that they did get my replacement 622 to me quickly though, despite the new receiver not solving the problem :D

Very sorry for your HDMI woes but no, its not a software problem. At least not with L448. Its on both my 722 and 622 and I'm using HDMI on both. This ongoing posting of problems with the HDMI output makes me nervous since I invested in a 2nd HD TV that mirrors HD from my 622. It uses HDMI and the TV at the receiver uses component. No difference in the pq but of course it takes 5 cables for audio/video. Doesn't surprise me that Dish sent you a receiver with the same problem. Happened to me before with my 921, only it was worse than the one I sent back!:rolleyes:
I think by "cross-ship" the other poster meant they might ship one ASAP while your replacement was being shipped?? Good luck!

Ed

I have a 211 that has the same problem and error codes. I gave up and run component cables. Dish receivers are prone to HDMI issues and the only way they try to fix is with replacements not addressing the problem. Lame.

One thing to check is are there any software updates for your Display?

HDMI failure is not ALWAYS the fault of the receiver, there have been documented cases of the display needing a software update.

It is remotely possible that the new Dish software requires new display software, after the receiver did updates, boom the HDMI was gone.

One thing to check is are there any software updates for your Display?

HDMI failure is not ALWAYS the fault of the receiver, there have been documented cases of the display needing a software update.

It is remotely possible that the new Dish software requires new display software, after the receiver did updates, boom the HDMI was gone.

Hi Jim, thanks for the reply. I've considered that, especially considering this doesn't seem to be a widespread problem with subscribers hooked up through HDMI, so I may upgrade the firmware over the weekend when I get a chance. Right now I'm going with components until I can get everything straightened out.

Thanks for the advice!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)