LA/NY HD Locals Pic Quality MPEG-2 vs MPEG-4

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

DirectMan

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 9, 2005
I was wondering whether there is a consensus regarding the picture quality for the LA or NY locals from people who previously had viewed the MPEG-2 transmissions and are now viewing the MPEG-4 version.

It depends highly on the local station, some are better than others for mpeg 4 pq. However, even with the better ones, the pq is a bit better than mpeg 2 at this point, but you are prone to more technical issues particular with the audio, hopefully they will fix this soon.

Ideally if they are passing the MPEG4 stations at full resolution, they should look better then the HDLite stations being broadcast over MPEG2. I don't know if anyone has been able to confirm the resolution of the MPEG4 locals yet.

I can confirm the Boston ones do look superior for the most part to the mpeg 2 distants, but again there have been technical issues beyond the video that isn't as common with mpeg 2.

Are they turned on in NY? I don't think they are yet I get searching for sat on those stations.

I do quite a bit of video conferencing with work. The MPEG4 (H.264) picture quality is better than the MPEG2 videos. It offers better compression and a sharper picture in my assessment.

I both seem equally succeptable to any buffering issues and take about the same amount of time to recover.

I know there is more technology to the SAT transmission than the MPEG4 CODEC; however, I wanted to pass along my experience with MPEG4 over an MPLS enabled IP network.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts