LA/NY HD Locals Pic Quality MPEG-2 vs MPEG-4 (1 Viewer)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DirectMan

SatelliteGuys Family
Oct 9, 2005
I was wondering whether there is a consensus regarding the picture quality for the LA or NY locals from people who previously had viewed the MPEG-2 transmissions and are now viewing the MPEG-4 version.

Questioner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 27, 2006
It depends highly on the local station, some are better than others for mpeg 4 pq. However, even with the better ones, the pq is a bit better than mpeg 2 at this point, but you are prone to more technical issues particular with the audio, hopefully they will fix this soon.

mjones1973

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 16, 2006
Ideally if they are passing the MPEG4 stations at full resolution, they should look better then the HDLite stations being broadcast over MPEG2. I don't know if anyone has been able to confirm the resolution of the MPEG4 locals yet.

Questioner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 27, 2006
I can confirm the Boston ones do look superior for the most part to the mpeg 2 distants, but again there have been technical issues beyond the video that isn't as common with mpeg 2.

chazcbh

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 6, 2004
Are they turned on in NY? I don't think they are yet I get searching for sat on those stations.

Scotland

Nov 29, 2005
I do quite a bit of video conferencing with work. The MPEG4 (H.264) picture quality is better than the MPEG2 videos. It offers better compression and a sharper picture in my assessment.

I both seem equally succeptable to any buffering issues and take about the same amount of time to recover.

I know there is more technology to the SAT transmission than the MPEG4 CODEC; however, I wanted to pass along my experience with MPEG4 over an MPLS enabled IP network.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users who are viewing this thread