LA residents losing NBC 4 out of NY as of 02/01/2010

Status
Please reply by conversation.

stonecold

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 23, 2004
Directv La La Land
If live in Los Angeles and subscribe to the 5.99 NY NBC station package you will lose channe 382 as of 02/01/10. Do to the unique agreement we had with both NBC stations Directv will no longer be able to to provide NBC 4 out of NYC to the citzens of the greater Los Angles area.

This only applys to customer in the LA DMA , who had the 5.99 NBC out of NY addon on there account if yoru a customer who had Grandfathered DNS channels then your fine.

I don't take issue with the deletion, but inappropriate is bs. more like off topic.

But we don't generally delete posts for being off topic. Labeling a community with a sexual preference is clearly inappropriate. The first post was deleted and the responses that went with it.

If you live in LA how could you get NY locals anyways?
I guess if you were far enough outside the LA DMA but qualified for both locals & distants

I don't take issue with the deletion, but inappropriate is bs. more like off topic.
I'll admit what I posted can easily be seen as inappropriate.

Just for clarity, it was not meant to be an insult to any group of people, it was meant to be a ribbing of a our rival city. LA and SF have a friendly and hated rivalry, similar to Boston and NY.

Let me apologize anyway

He's talking about the SD version of NBC. Subscribers with the appropriate waivers can receive both east and west coast networks. Until now in LA apparently. :(

If you live in LA how could you get NY locals anyways?
I guess if you were far enough outside the LA DMA but qualified for both locals & distants

There was a deal in place with NBC since both LA and NY were O&O . If you lived in the LA DMA you could get NBC 4 from NYC for 5.99

No it was strictly NBC NY for LA residents. Dont ask me in the thosands and thousands of accounts i seen only one person ever had it.

I wish DirecTV would allow customers to add on any local TV feed (if technically feasible) for an added charge. Would be a great way for folk that move around to "stay in touch" with their home town news, plus be added revenue for DirecTV. I know that DirecTV uses Ka band spot beams for some of the channels, so not all would be feasible in all situations. Anyway, I would like to see that as a consumer choice.

Oh -- what does the acronym "O&O" stand for?

No it was strictly NBC NY for LA residents. Dont ask me in the thosands and thousands of accounts i seen only one person ever had it.
They offered it too me once. I could not understand why anyone would want to pay an extra $6 for a similar SD only channel that shows the same programming.

reading the title had me scared, but should have known only people from Louisiana would think seeing the abbreviation "LA" would actually mean the state LOUISIANA not the city in california

They offered it too me once. I could not understand why anyone would want to pay an extra $6 for a similar SD only channel that shows the same programming.

earlier feed

I guess when you live in the Eastern or Central time zones it doesnt mean much but I know folks on the West Coast might want to see programs earlier.

Conversely when I miss a show I like to catch it on a west coast feed :)

FYI, I have all four east and west coast NY SD channels and the east coast HD ones.

At least until DirecTV gets around to offering us our locals, which may be a long time since our DMA is 157. :)

I wish DirecTV would allow customers to add on any local TV feed (if technically feasible) for an added charge.

Then talk to your congressman to get the law changed.

In addition, there may be some serious technical issues associate with having every local channel on a CONUS beam instead of a spotbeam. In essence, there aren't enough satellites in the sky with enough transponders available to have a CONUS broadcast of every DMA that locals are broadcast in, much less every DMA out there.

This is not even taking into consideration the financial aspect of such a broadcast agreement. Can you imagine the negotiations that would have to take place with EVERY station for retrans agreements, along with the whole "must carry" vs "may carry" status?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)