LA Times on HDDVD and Paramount Plans

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Gonna quote the whole article because you have to register to view it.

[COLOR=#999999 ! important]By Dawn C. Chmielewski and Claudia Eller, Los Angeles Times Staff Writers
January 9, 2008 [/COLOR]
LAS VEGAS -- Had pundits bet on the HD DVD camp folding its hand in Las Vegas, they would have lost their shirts.

None of the corporate giants that back the next-generation DVD format have jumped ship at the Consumer Electronics Show here. But the huge momentum shift toward the Blu-ray format has at least one studio strongly considering a switch.

Related Stories - CES Coverage 2008

Warner Bros.' decision last week to start making movies exclusively for Blu-ray players, rather than HD DVD, triggered an "out" clause in Paramount Pictures' contract with the HD DVD camp. An industry source said there was a significant possibility that Paramount would exercise that clause. It plans to decide within a month.

Paramount officials said they would continue to support HD DVD, a format for displaying videos in higher quality whose backers include Toshiba Corp. and Microsoft Corp. Universal Pictures, which has been a strong supporter from the beginning, issued no public statement on the matter here.

Toshiba said Tuesday that retailers have expressed their commitment to HD DVD during private meetings at the show, which is the world's largest consumer tech gathering.

Still, the Warner Bros. move -- announced just before the show began -- dramatically changed the balance of power in the competition to set the new DVD standard.

The Blu-ray contingent, led by Sony Corp., all but claimed victory before a standing-room-only presentation Monday, saying: "The Future Is Blu."

The Blu-ray Disc Assn. claimed a significant edge over HD DVD, with 85% of all next-generation players purchased since Blu-ray hit the market late in 2006. The group also said 66% of all high-definition movies sold in 2007 were Blu-ray.

Danny Kaye, 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment's executive vice president of technology strategy, predicted that Blu-ray players -- including Sony PlayStation 3 game consoles, which also play movies in the format -- would jump from 3.5 million sold by the end of 2007 to 10 million by the end of this year. He forecast a similar surge in movie sales, from $170 million to $1 billion in consumer spending.

Kaye said 2008 would be "a year of very strong, explosive growth."

Steve Beeks, president of Blu-ray supporter Lions Gate, said that after two years of "wasted energy" devoted to the bruising format war, the industry could begin to focus its efforts on expanding the home entertainment market.

"We believe 2008 will be a watershed year for Blu-ray's ascent in the marketplace," Beeks said.

That enthusiasm appears to be shared by the show's attendees, who flocked to the numerous Blu-ray displays on the show floor. The numbers were noticeably thinner at similar HD DVD displays.

Jodi Sally, vice president of marketing for Toshiba America's digital audio video group, emphasized the continued retail support for its HD DVD format, which has sold more 1 million players since its introduction.

"I've been here for two days of back-to-back meetings with retailers," Sally said. "We are really encouraged by our meetings and the response of retailers that they will continue to offer consumers a choice."

Industry executives said it would be unusual for retailers to abandon any format so soon after Christmas, for fear of sparking a flood of returns.

As long as Universal and Paramount are under contract with HD-DVD they dare not say anything but continued support. They could probably be sued for breach of contract, not to mention the harm that would happen to HD-DVD. Any announcement will be just like Warner's, nothing really confirmed or denied until after the anouncement is made.

The article really says nothing, beyond that there is an escape clause in the contract. Everything else is just press release garbage.

You continue to bring that up, no one ever said they weren't.

Neutrality by Para and Uni kills HDDVD, period. Retailers wont have anything to do with it.
Show me a Neutrality quote. Until then you continue to bring that Bullshi* up, no one ever said they would.

Please provide link. Other wise stop guessing in your best interest. I notice you've been monopolizing the forum lately. Slow down a little, you've shown your agenda loud and clear since WB. We hear you ALREADY.I didn't relize how civil the warzone was while you were so called boycotting it until now. Jesus.......

Never thought I said this but people like you make me wish we had AVS rules over here.

Show me a Neutrality quote. Until then you continue to bring that Bullshi* up, no one ever said they would.

Please provide link. Other wise stop guessing in your best interest. I notice you've been monopolizing the forum lately. Slow down a little, you've shown your agenda loud and clear since WB. We hear you ALREADY.I didn't relize how civil the warzone was while you were so called boycotting it until now. Jesus.......

Never thought I said this but people like you make me wish we had AVS rules over here.

If you don't like the rules in these forums then why even come post here?

You are the one that needs to take a pill not me.

I just posted the article since its in a main stream paper. Vurbano continues to bring up the support quote to make a point and I continue to point out that support does not mean they wont go neutral.

If you cant handle this minor crap without getting pissy, maybe you should just take a break.

Ive never said I wasnt pro blu, but I dont see my actions as "fanboyism". This is the warzone, posts having to do with both go here. If you cant handle that HDDVD is getting negative press right now, i dont know what to tell you.

I think too many for too long got used to Blu being the whipping boy, now its changed a little. Boohoo.

Also, I bought both formats, as far as Im concerned I can say whatever I want.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)