Landline Required for VOOM??

Receiver off & callback attempt

Does anyone know if it makes a difference if the receiver is on or off during the callback attempt? We usually turn the receiver off at night and we did have a failed attempt at 1:30 am last night.

dhukai said:
Does anyone know if it makes a difference if the receiver is on or off during the callback attempt? We usually turn the receiver off at night and we did have a failed attempt at 1:30 am last night.

I do not think so. I wouldn't worry to much about it.

Caller ID can be blocked with an external box. I did forget that Voom is dialing out and you can turn it off.

Caller ID is broadcast right as the phone picks up, several boxes out there just silence that portion.

Eric_C said:
Caller ID can be blocked with an external box. I did forget that Voom is dialing out and you can turn it off.

Caller ID is broadcast right as the phone picks up, several boxes out there just silence that portion.

I'm afraid you're wrong. If there was a box that could block the phone going off-hook, how the hell could the switch detect the off-hook? The fact is, the caller-id is sent via the switching equipment at the CO. There is no way to block this completely. The switch knows your pair, it knows your name, it knows your address and it of course knows your number. The switch MUST know your number to route your calls properly. You really couldn't block the info beyond the CO, since other switches need the routing information. Caller-ID block is really only a residential cosmetic feature, since the phone company always knows who you are for routing and billing.

There is no caller-ID info that originates from your home.
FYI: you receive caller-id info BETWEEN RINGS.

This phone line topic is very interesting, I just ordered VOOM yesterday and they are comming out on the 24th to install. I have no landline phone service, but do have high speed internet. I saw people stating that a VOIP should work, but because Im a new to this Im not sure what a VOIP is. ( If anyone can help out that would be great) anyway back to the issue, I spoke with the install company to confirm my date and time and they stated there was no need for a landline, In fact the tech that I talked to had VOOM and said he doesnt have a landline either, and had no problem with his service. If anyone else out there could give some input that would be great. Also when talking to the tech he said to remind who ever comes out to do the install to make sure he runs two seperate lines....no diplex..... so apparently this is not a new issue

Thanks

FIRSTIN365,

Welcome to the forum!

Voice over IP (VoIP) is a telephone service offered by some high-speed Internet service providers. To work with VOOM, it must support regular modem and fax connections. Not all of them do. The land-line requirement is not yet enforced, but it might be in the near future. I would also recommend bypassing the diplexer if you can. Good luck!

Voom dialin over cell phone

Has anyone tried CellSocket, Dock-n-Talk or any other cellular-to-landline adapter with your voom box successfully?

I would like to order service but I like many others have converted to a cellular/broadband home.

Vonage VOIP works so maybee the cell thing will too. The cells actually seem to have a lot of bandwidth.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts