Landline Required for VOOM??

WLong

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 28, 2004
OK guys, this is a serious issue here. If I am *required* to have a landline for VOOM service, I may need to cancel it shortly, unless they can send their data over a VOIP box from Packet8.Net.

I am going to be cancelling my DSL/Landline in favor of VOIP and cable internet access.

Anyone here know if VOOM will work over a VOIP box?

Bill

this has been very confusing to me. I do not know what to tell you at this point. When I was installed there was no need to have a phone line connected to the box. I don't have it connected as of today. There's no need for it work with VOOM as far as I know.

I do not know if the box will work with a VOIP box...

Is there any way we can find out for sure?

RVer's

Yes, What about us RVer's that do not have landlines???

If the STB is required to be hooked up to a landline then Voom will be worthless to me this summer when I am RVing! :confused:

I agree. Also, ET should be able to phone home from other means. (Ethernet, VOIP, etc.)

Voom requiring a phoneline surely is not going to help their business. They need to get all the customers they can without restrictions such as this and perhaps when they get their sub counts up they can see about things like that.

WLong said:
Is there any way we can find out for sure?
I don't think anyone knows for sure. I guess they have a capability to request a report-back from each STB. And they can possibly disable each box if it doesn't call back within a specific time frame. The question is whether there will be any need for them to use this feature any time soon. I don't think they know that at this point. It's anyone's guess.

As for VOIP. Do you know if a standard modem can be used with your VOIP? Can a regular fax be used with VOIP? Ask these questions to your cable provider. Or if you have a modem in your computer, you can try it yourself. I guess if the bandwidth is high enough, and there are not too many dropouts, VOIP should work pretty much as a regular phone line...

Ilya said:
I don't think anyone knows for sure. I guess they have a capability to request a report-back from each STB. And they can possibly disable each box if it doesn't call back within a specific time frame. The question is whether there will be any need for them to use this feature any time soon. I don't think they know that at this point. It's anyone's guess.

As for VOIP. Do you know if a standard modem can be used with your VOIP? Can a regular fax be used with VOIP? Ask these questions to your cable provider. Or if you have a modem in your computer, you can try it yourself. I guess if the bandwidth is high enough, and there are not too many dropouts, VOIP should work pretty much as a regular phone line...

VOIP isnt capable of transmitting faxes at this time. In the future it will be. I'm more curious about the method they use to transmit data back. I guess I will just have to try it out for myself.

WLong said:
VOIP isnt capable of transmitting faxes at this time. In the future it will be. I'm more curious about the method they use to transmit data back.
It's just a modem. I don't know the lowest baud rate supported, but if you are told that faxes don't go through your VOIP, then VOOM probably won't either.

Ilya said:
It's just a modem. I don't know the lowest baud rate supported, but if you are told that faxes don't go through your VOIP, then VOOM probably won't either.

VOOM gets installed on 3/2 and my VOIP device should arrive soon. I'll test it out once I have them both in place.

Yes, try it. Just connect your VOOM to your VOIP jack and initiate a report-back procedure from the STB. If it fails it should tell you. Let us know the results.

Ok Wilt just posted the following about the LandLine:

Yup, they do. I know it's a tough one but losing control, from the business sense is worse. Those extenders that run over power lines do work pretty well, I've got a couple here.
I'm sorry to have to have this rule but I've seen too much of what happens when it's not there.
Wilt
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, February 29, 2004 7:42 PM
To: VOOM@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [VOOM] Re: Phone line at install-NOT

Wilt, what will happen in case like mine where one of my receivers is near my telephone but the other one, even with a wireless connection will not be able to connect. It is on the 2nd floor of the house all the way to back. Do all receivers need to be connected to a telephone line?

Sean Mota said:
Ok Wilt just posted the following about the LandLine:

I'll have to hope that the VOIP works, or keep my landline after all.

Latest wpord from Wilt, despite earloy fairly liberal policy, is that landline connection will be required for every new install.

Tim

I only have a cell phone, I would like to get Voom, but I guess I will have to stick with Dish. Below is an email I sent Voom, maybe someday they will get into the 21st century. They might get a few more subscribers.

Dear Voom,
I would like to buy your complete service but do not have a landline phone. I use cell phones like many people are doing now. It makes no sense to have a phone on the wall when you can have one that goes where you go. Dish and Direct TV don't require it why do you? I currently have the Dish Network everything package and HDTV. I buy all the latest high tech devices, and you want your customers to go backward with old (obsolete) phone technology. More and more people will go wireless for phones just like they do with satellite over cable. It's your business and your money loss, but some of us would like to have your service and you are keeping us from it because of outdated (overpriced) phone technology. When you decide to get up to date with a high tech world, please feel free to email me and I will be happy to sign up. Until then I will stay with Dish. Thank you.

Sean Mota said:
Can anyone recommend the phone "extenders that run over power lines" . Price? Where can I get them?

Belkin makes one. I believe Circuit City sells them.

sprite1741 said:
I only have a cell phone, I would like to get Voom, but I guess I will have to stick with Dish. Below is an email I sent Voom, maybe someday they will get into the 21st century. They might get a few more subscribers.

Dear Voom,
I would like to buy your complete service but do not have a landline phone. I use cell phones like many people are doing now. It makes no sense to have a phone on the wall when you can have one that goes where you go. Dish and Direct TV don't require it why do you? I currently have the Dish Network everything package and HDTV. I buy all the latest high tech devices, and you want your customers to go backward with old (obsolete) phone technology. More and more people will go wireless for phones just like they do with satellite over cable. It's your business and your money loss, but some of us would like to have your service and you are keeping us from it because of outdated (overpriced) phone technology. When you decide to get up to date with a high tech world, please feel free to email me and I will be happy to sign up. Until then I will stay with Dish. Thank you.

Voice over IP may work. As soon as I get my VOIP device I will let you folks know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts