Landline Required for VOOM??

VOOM over Vonage (VOIP)

Installed VOOM yesterday using Vonage's VOIP service. No issues. Everything worked fine...

I used the "fax" portion of the Vonage server (with the business service, you get 2 lines - one for voice, and one for voice/fax).

/joe

WLong said:
VOIP isnt capable of transmitting faxes at this time. In the future it will be. I'm more curious about the method they use to transmit data back. I guess I will just have to try it out for myself.

I use my vonage line to send faxes all the time, so I don't think this is true

Can your VOOM box connect to the Vonage line?

bitwise said:
Installed VOOM yesterday using Vonage's VOIP service. No issues. Everything worked fine...

I used the "fax" portion of the Vonage server (with the business service, you get 2 lines - one for voice, and one for voice/fax).

/joe

Yeah, I don't think I get voice/fax capability with Packet8. My line is a residential line, not a business line.

I don't know yet, my VOOM gets installed today and Packet8 still hasnt shipped my DTA.

Bill

I will go check out vonages prices and see how they compare. IM just kind of concerned with the upfront cost as i just shelled out for E,x-box,HD big screen television and 2 seperate cable internet connections. I think im becoming a tech junkie hehehe.

Vonage is a little more expensive, but if you need the fax capabilities in order for VOOM to work, I think this is your only option. I checked the packet8.net site and they clearly state that the 310 DTA will not work with data calls made by devices. (Alarm system, fax , etc.)

I am forced to keep my landline anyway, since Verizon DSL is the only broadband I can get out here. Hopefully Packet8 will have fax capabilities in the future.

Bill

The Skinny on the Need for Phone Lines

I just spoke to my installer. I asked if a phone line was required for VOOM installation.

"Yes. Definitely." He says.

I tell him that I am reading the Internet that some folks have VOOM installations without phone lines.

"Well," he says, "VOOM has told me that I'm supposed to tell you that you need a phone line."

I press him on this.

"Look," he says, "When it comes right down to it, none of the Satellite services really require the use of a phone line to send a signal. It's just their way of keeping tabs on users and making sure that they aren't using unauthorized descrambling cards."

It's my guess that if they have a phone connection to your receiver, they can send the 'kill' signal to an illegal descrambler. PPV is just kind of a rationale for a phone line. Software upgrades are another.

My installer went on to say that VOOM, being a newbie to the market, took a little while to catch on to industry practices. That explains the conflicting information about the change in VOOM policy.

DO they send updates over the phone line, or is it via the satellite which has a pre-code for the box to recognize and download?

phaet2112 said:
DO they send updates over the phone line, or is it via the satellite which has a pre-code for the box to recognize and download?
I know E* sends the updates via the Sat's. I think the DTivo's get SOME of their Tivo data via the LandLine.

I do know that the receivers (E*) "phone home" every so often, regardless
of the PPV status.

phaet2112 said:

Just over the Satellite...

I never had a telephone line with E* and never lost service. So far the same with V*.

Here's the latest posted by Wilt on the Landline issue.

Okay, here it is again. ;)
1. There is an upgrade coming that will mandate the phone line,
2. The upgrade won't come in over the phone, that would take too long, but it needs to connect to the "mother ship" over the phone, in order to run.
3. I/we recognize that there are and will be issues with things as you describe and are and will continue to work on ways to eliminate the problems or accommodate other types of connections.
4. The security, and unfortunate reality, of theft of service issues make needing this "tether" a fact of business life. (ask Dish and DirecTV)
So, this next push won't mandate it, but, if I recall properly, the one after it very well may--it will certainly have the software in it.
That clear it up?
Thanks for checking,
Wilt

Sean Mota said:
Here's the latest posted by Wilt on the Landline issue.

Okay, here it is again. ;)
1. There is an upgrade coming that will mandate the phone line,
2. The upgrade won't come in over the phone, that would take too long, but it needs to connect to the "mother ship" over the phone, in order to run.

Wilt

Thanks for posting this. My installer never connected the phone line...said it wasn't neccessary.

Just went and hooked it up....don't want to be left out of the upgrade(s) when they come.

Bill

voom and phoneline

OK, does anyone know if voom can connect with packet8 voip service as voom says it can but other people say you need vonage or other voip with fax service. If future updates to voom come over the sat then why would i need the fax service also. Im a newbie to this and just want to be absolutely sure before i order packet8 and then voom. thanks if anyone can help.

Anyone Try Packet8 Voip With Voom Yet

Still trying to find out if packet8 voip will work with voom. voom says IT MIGHT, packet8 says IT SHOULD. Once packet8 is delivered and installed i will let you know if it works with Dish Network. Have a great day all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts