Landline Required for VOOM??

I believe it was WLONG (I could be mistaken) already mentioned it works fine with Dish. MIne was shipped yesterday.

I tried packet8 a few months ago. Call quality wasn't as good as Vonage, but still acceptable, and signup is cheaper with the coupons going around on the net. I've also read that packet8 may now be using newer routers that improve voice quality.

My Packet8 seems to work much better than it did a couple of months ago. It used to have a delay and an echo. Now it works pretty well.

So, have anyone tried VOOM with VOIP yet?

VOOM doesn't require a phone connection yet, so it's hard to tell. :)

Wilt said a phone line might be required with the software update coming in about a month.

What a joke this landline issue is. After 3 weeks and 2 days of taking off work, I finally got my VOOM equipment installed. No one ever told me a landline was required. Now I have the VOOM equipment, but am unable to activate it until I connect it through a land line.

VOOM is trying to be 'cutting-edge' by offering all of this great HDTV. Yet don't they realize that the early adopters who will help them to succeed are the same people who have gotten rid of their landlines and use cell phones only?

Big mistake VOOM!

Ok... when you sign up, either throguh the web or over the phone, they ALWAYS ask you 3 questions.

1) Do you have line of sight?
2) Do you have the right to install?
and 3) Do you have a phone line?

I can't imagine they didn't ask you these questions.

Im waiting for my vonage package to be delivered this week as voom install is saturday. I to only use a cell phone so i had to order vonage voip just to get voom.

For the record, here is a quote from the Customer Agreement at www.voom.com website:

(g) Phone Connections. Your receiver must always be directly connected to a traditional land-based telephone line to receive the VOOM Service. If it is not so connected, or if it is connected to a line other than the one you tell us, or if the line is not performing according to our requirements, the VOOM Service may be deactivated. If deactivation occurs, you will still be responsible for all services purchased through the date of deactivation. Your receiver units must also be connected to the same traditional land-based telephone line in order to be eligible to pay the additional receiver fee rather than purchase a separate subscription for each additional receiver.

As I understand, other satellite providers have similar provisions in their contracts.

madpoet said:
Ok... when you sign up, either throguh the web or over the phone, they ALWAYS ask you 3 questions.

1) Do you have line of sight?
2) Do you have the right to install?
and 3) Do you have a phone line?

I can't imagine they didn't ask you these questions.

They NEVER asked me any of that. Obviously a bad CSR, and installer, and...

just saw this thread..

sry didnt see it before i made mine.. but damn this sucks, I refuse to pay a lot more money for a land line when my cellphone bill is only $35 and i get free nights/weekends and free long distance and take the phone with me anywhere i want..

its stupid...

I agree a 100% that this is the most idiotic idea they could come up with... Specially us early adopters that tend to like to be in the cutting edge of tech and phone lines certainly aren't cutting edge now are they?

this sucks, guess DTV is my best bet as they DO NOT REQUIRE the "land line"

oh and another thing this guys said that they require it to keep tabs on their receivers as to make sure its not being stolen.. well breaking news im sure ppl can and will do this whether its hooked up to a phone or not

in the meantime the rest of us with cell phones or VOIP lines get shafted

sorry for the rant :mad:

I have a landline, but it's shared between two PC's and it's also my primary phone line. I'd be hooking the Voom box line into a splitter. So I'm wondering if a box callback happens when the line's in use, does this mean an automatic disconnect of service?

I would think the Box will call late night and I imagine there will be more than one calling at night time (Only a guess).

I hope it tries more than once (sometimes I'm on my PC pretty late/early morning). We're calling to set up the install soon and I'll have my husband check (I don't want to lose my channels and have to call in to re-auth 'cause I'm using the line and miss the STB phonehome).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts