Landline Required for VOOM??

well id try the easy stuff first like changing phone cords. Have more than one reciever? you could try swapping them if you do.

I am new here and was very excited when VOOM added the ESPN's. I had been holding off on getting VOOM for that very reason. Last night I tried to order VOOM online and learned of the land line requirement. Sadly, I am a cell phone user and have no use for a land line. It looks like I will be checking out the competition. Needless to say I am very disappointed at this - I was really looking forward to all the great HD content that VOOM offers. This site has been a lot of help. Thanks for all the great info!

Sorry stress. I'm paying $12 for a local Ip phone from my cable company, and it works like a champ.

-MP

Hmmmm... maybe something I should look into. My local phone service was running close to $30 two years ago when I cancelled it. I will call the cable company and inquire about a local ip phone. Thanks MP.

Packet 8 and Voom

Decide to start a new thread for Packet 8 users and Voom.

I need a quick answer guys. I have Voom coming tomorrow. Will Voom work over Packet8? I have had packet 8 for months and I really don't want to switch. A basic phone line with 100 minutes is $40 a month with Verizon... Ouch! I have seen it works with Vonage and the fax line. I have seen people getting Voom and packet8, but I dont see results. Can anyone share their experience?

stevet96,

Welcome to the forum!
I am not familiar with Packet 8, but I assume it is some sort of Voice over IP.

It is hard to give a definite answer at this point. The phone line has not been used by VOOM so far, so no one knows for sure how exactly it will be used in the future. There are at least three issues with VoIP:

1. A phone jack. I assume Packet 8 provides that. Right?
2. Sufficient speed and bandwidth for data communication. Can you use any fax or modem over Packet 8? At what maximum speed?
3. CallerID. I am not positive, but VOOM might need to be able to identify your originating phone number. Does this work with Packet 8? What one would see on a CallerID display if the phone call comes from you over Packet 8?

The good news for you: it shouldn't matter for your tomorrow's install, as the phone line is not needed for service activation.

Packet 8 is a VoIP service. I cannot send a fax and I'm not sure what the highest transfer rate is. I do have caller id working. I do have a phone cord to plug into the receiver. If they are not using it yet then that is fine. I've seen others post they were going to try it, but I haven't seen any results yet. I would think it would work at a fairly low baud rate if it is just dialing home. I tried to set up a diallup service over it just to test data transfer. I was able to connect to the server, but I don't think I could receive the data back. I'm hoping the call is a one-way transmission to Voom and all down data is through satelitte.

Again, I doubt anyone knows for sure, but I suspect it will require a 2-way communication, perhaps at a low speed. So, this may or may not work for you after VOOM starts requiring the phone line. Remains to be seen...

Atleast that gives me time. I thought I was going to have to come up with at solution for tomorrow. Maybe they'll have an ethernet connection going by then

I had my Voom installed last week and the installer never hooked up the phone line ....So it must not be a requirement as I had first thought...

I don't think Packet8.net will work with VOOM, but I wouldn't cancel or switch services until you are certain. Vonage does offer a fax line for $9.99/mo -- which works.

The next version of the software was said to make a phone jack a requirement. I've seen no word that this has changed. This is extensively discussed in other threads.

Is the phone line requirement being enforced now?

Since the latest software updates the report-back phone number has been missing in the STB settings. But yesterday, I noticed that the phone number was present again, and some failed report-back attempts have been logged (my STB is not currently connected to the phone line). Looks like VOOM is about to begin enforcing the phone line requirement! I guess it's time to connect the STB to the phone line...

Anybody knows where I can get a Wireless Phone Line Extender. I did a search on google but it keeps sending me to the "All in one" product that is sold at a site in the UK. Any other site of similar product?

Sean Mota said:
Anybody knows where I can get a Wireless Phone Line Extender?
Best Buy or RatShack will have the RCA version + others. eBay is probably full of 'em and have better deals.

I checked the Radio Shack and they have the ones that travel through the air. I need the one that user the power line of the plug to transmit the phone line to the upstairs room. I only have one phone line in the first floor and no other line in the second floor.

Sean Mota said:
I checked the Radio Shack and they have the ones that travel through the air. I need the one that user the power line of the plug to transmit the phone line to the upstairs room. I only have one phone line in the first floor and no other line in the second floor.

Not sure what your are looking for, but I bought one a RatShack, which uses the power outlets. Just plug one box into a power outlet upstairs, connect the phone line and you are good to go. Should work just fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)