Laptop Cooler, External USB HDD, and 622

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
I have used a Laptop cooler for a long time to keep my 622 cool. With the external USB HDD support coming in less than two days, I was concerned about having to use both USB ports (given that is just not attractive to have the front door open with a cable coming out of it all of the time) at the same time.

Problem solved! I connected an Antec Laptop Cooler, which has a USB passthrough connector on the USB cable. I connected it to the rear port, and then plugged my brand new WD 500GB My Book Essentials to the back of the cooler's connector.

Sure enough, they both work - I did some testing, and Dish recognizes the hard drive, and the receiver is staying cool.

For what its worth, I thought I would share.

Is the USB included 2.0? If not; you might have some bandwidth issues coming up.

Cheers,

Its not one with a hub, but just a dongle on the back of the usb connector to pass it through. The cooler isn't a "device" it just draws .4Amps of power from the receiver.

I'll know more in two days, but I think it should not be a problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)