Large thread issues

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

mike123abc

Too many cables
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 25, 2003
Norman, OK
I have posts shown set to 100 on a page. When there is a large number of posts on a page, the system really slows down. For example the Page Time reported at the bottom of the page goes over 1 second. One cannot type in the quick reply box (I have to hit advanced to get it to work).

There seems to be some sort of script or something running on the pages, and when you have close to 100 posts on a page it swamps IE. I have no trouble with less than 50 posts. Yeah I know I can change the posts per page back down to some small number. But, it worked great all the years up until now with it set to 100.

page with 42 posts on it (can barely keep up with typing but passible) Page Time: 0.49616 seconds Memory: 12,210 KB Queries: 15 Templates: 46
page with 63 posts on it (cannot keep up with typing 3 second lag) Page Time: 0.72611 seconds Memory: 13,106 KB Queries: 15 Templates: 45
page with 100 posts on it (12 second lag on typing in quick reply) Page Time: 1.20933 seconds Memory: 15,848 KB Queries: 16 Templates: 51

Watching task manager, IE has the processor pegged (25% of quad core cpu) when typing in the quick reply box. Perhaps it is doing something with each character typed.

I am not seeing this issue though at all, tried it on
PC in IE 8, Firefox, Chrome
MAC Safari, Firefox, Chrome

The biggest thread we have here has 5189 posts in it and no problem at all.

Page Time: 0.17878 seconds

No lag in the quick reply or anything on any of the machines tested.

It is not the number of posts in the thread, but the number per page. So 4009 replies only shows 10 on the last page, the same as if it only had 9 replies, but if you try one of the first 40 pages you get the slowdown since 100 posts come up. I guess I am grandfathered in at 100 since it was that on the old system. I like it a big number, but I guess I will have to set it down.

Well I went down to 30 posts per page and it does cure the issue. I just miss being able to skim tons of posts at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)