LASIK Information

Status
Not open for further replies.

mariLAWIN

Original poster
Feb 22, 2008
Last year I undergo Lasik surgery for my nearsightedness and like the concern of other people im not comfortable in wearing contacts because my eyes are sensitive for infection so my friend recommends me for Lasik exam .The exam include a complete evaluation of the internal and external health of the eyes. They create a detailed map of the eyes and perform all of the visual tests necessary to prepare for LASIK. And the nice thing is they use the latest, most advanced technology to thoroughly determine your eligibility for LASIK. Here’s the LASIK procedure step by step:

Step 1: Using advanced technology, your eyes and their visual fields are mapped out entirely. This customized and extremely detailed information is then reviewed by your surgeon and transferred directly to the laser.

Step 2: The cornea of the eye is numbed with eye drops and the eyelids are gently held open to prevent blinking. Using a microkeratome, your surgeon creates a thin flap from the outer corneal layers of the eye, this flap is then gently folded back and away from the eye.

Step 3: Using an Excimer laser, which emits a cool beam of light upon the eye, your surgeon will gently reshape the cornea.

Step 4: Finally, the protective flap that was created in Step Two is gently placed back in its original position. Your eyes will begin to heal immediately and visual improvements are often seen right after the procedure or the very next day!

Ohh actually you can check my2020 for more info about LASIK procedure. Hope it helps you in a little way though.

Tks for the info guys. I think/hope! this procedure is in my near future. I was a (hard!) contact wearer for almost 35 years until I completely gave them up about 5 years ago. I have been uncorrected since then. But the sight in my rt. eye has made a step change for the worse in the past year or so. I want to take care of it soon and hopefully lasik is an option for me. If I need to do it in stages, I'll do the rt. one first and see how that turns out.

Did you have any insurance that covered any part of the procedure? I have a VSP plan at work and good HMO coverage. I hope to apply some of that to the overall cost and use my FSA to cover the rest. Once I know the cost I'll restructure the FSA for the coming year (it resets next month) to cover the difference.

Welcome to the OP, BTW...!

Tks for the info guys. I think/hope! this procedure is in my near future. I was a (hard!) contact wearer for almost 35 years until I completely gave them up about 5 years ago. I have been uncorrected since then. But the sight in my rt. eye has made a step change for the worse in the past year or so. I want to take care of it soon and hopefully lasik is an option for me. If I need to do it in stages, I'll do the rt. one first and see how that turns out.

Did you have any insurance that covered any part of the procedure? I have a VSP plan at work and good HMO coverage. I hope to apply some of that to the overall cost and use my FSA to cover the rest. Once I know the cost I'll restructure the FSA for the coming year (it resets next month) to cover the difference.

Welcome to the OP, BTW...!

Your eyes have to be stable for at least two years before you can qualify for Lasik. If you are having trouble with one, it's not the time to get Lasik. You don't want them changing after the surgery. Also, how old are you? You say you had hard contacts for 35 years and gave them up for 5 years, so I'm assuming you have to be at least 50-55. If so, and you qualify and have Lasik, at that age the odds are real good you will immediately need to then wear reading glasses all the time! That's not good.

You can consider "monovision", Monovision but have the doctor do a trial with contacts first, to see if you can handle mono-vision. I had monovision Lasik (unintended, as the doctor didn't plan for monovision!), and it's worked for me, but took over 20 months before I adapted to it. I'm now age 49, had the surgery in 2000, and I'm glad I had it.

Tks. Yep - 55 and counting! The "trouble" with my right eye seems to be more rapid than usual change about a year to year and a half ago, but it has been stable since then. So something changed. It could be a cataract, the exam will tell. In a very big sense I am mono vision now! Ironically my bad right eye has really acute close vision. I can read like 1-pt text at about 6" no problem at all. But I have trouble reading a computer screen at 18" - all blurry with that eye. In a very real sense, I would almost hate to give up that acuity as I depend on it often! For my left eye, I can still see close-up fairly well, just not as good as with my right eye. It's in best (not perfect) focus at about 12" but then since things are twice as far away vs. my right eye, I can't see the really small stuff. For most close things using both eyes, 8-12" is best and I don't need the reading glasses. For long range, I can resolve things fairly well with my left eye by squinting to mostly correct the life-long astigmatism. Until the change, it was the same with my right eye. Now there is nothing I can do personally to correct my right eye for distance vision. So I guess I have been "monovision" for distance for at least that year plus.

I'll get an appointment under my current vision plan to see what can be done, and hopefully Lasik is still an option at least at some future point. It's the "glad I had it" part that I'm looking for! The real irony is all the money I've invested in HDTV, and I can't fully enjoy it from normal viewing distance...!

Tks again for the info and BRgds...

I had Lasik on both eyes last June, and a touchup on the left eye last November. I'm 56, and did the monovision thing. The touchup on the left eye was needed to bring me to a point where my brain would merge the two different images.

My vision is excellent if you only go by the eye chart. 20/15 distance in the right eye, and 'good enough' reading in the left.

Unfortunately, I've been miserable ever since the surgery. The first five months I struggled with eye strain because of the difference between the two eyes. I just could not merge the two different images. The touchup seems to have helped, but any prolonged use of my eyes (driving, computer) results in a meltdown, and I can't focus on anything.

I've also been cursed with dry eye since the original surgery. I need to use drops every 30 minutes, or I feel like my eyes are full of sand, and a blink of the eye will leave me with badly distorted vision.

While I enjoy not needing glasses, I'd pay 10 times what I paid for the surgery to have my old eyes back. Read the small print in the 'informed consent' document you'll be asked to sign. It says some people's eyes are screwed up for life. It happens...

I had Lasik on both eyes last June, and a touchup on the left eye last November. I'm 56, and did the monovision thing. The touchup on the left eye was needed to bring me to a point where my brain would merge the two different images.

My vision is excellent if you only go by the eye chart. 20/15 distance in the right eye, and 'good enough' reading in the left.

Unfortunately, I've been miserable ever since the surgery. The first five months I struggled with eye strain because of the difference between the two eyes. I just could not merge the two different images. The touchup seems to have helped, but any prolonged use of my eyes (driving, computer) results in a meltdown, and I can't focus on anything.

I've also been cursed with dry eye since the original surgery. I need to use drops every 30 minutes, or I feel like my eyes are full of sand, and a blink of the eye will leave me with badly distorted vision.

While I enjoy not needing glasses, I'd pay 10 times what I paid for the surgery to have my old eyes back. Read the small print in the 'informed consent' document you'll be asked to sign. It says some people's eyes are screwed up for life. It happens...

rharkins: Sorry this reply is late, however, have you tried using FLAXSEED OIL pills to help your dry eye? Flaxseed Oil for Dry Eyes - AllAboutVision.com

If you take about 6 of these pills a day, after about 1 week, your dry eyes should start feeling much better. You could also go for the cold-pressed, and keep it in the refrigerator. It doesn't seem to increase my tears any, but it's definately doing something else to make it better. I think it increases the oily layer, but either way, it works for me. Perhaps it'll help you also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts