Last & Next HD DVD Watched

Wife wanted to watch the Bourne Trilogy this weekend. While I have the XBOX360, I've always disliked it for HD DVD's. It's awkward. So, I pulled my old Toshiba out and connected it up. I have room in my system now for it since buying a 5X1 HDMI switch.

What does ClownBD do? Convert to Blu-ray? Can it convert .mov HD files?

clownbd.com

I have it read the HD DVD and make a BD ISO image. You can pick the soundtracks you want to include. I have a popcornhour box that can play bluray ISO images over the network. It is nice to have it convert since it keeps chapters.

Mike- Several questions on this-

I know the chapter stops are embedded in the meta data of the actual video file but what about menu structure? I would assume there is nothing out there that can do a complete translation of all the java scripts and extra features also included on the HD DVD disk. That would get lost, wouldn't it?

When you select a sound track to include, I assume you only get one choice, right?

Finally, your opinion and there is no right or wrong answer as far as I'm concerned- I'm pretty sure this could be a violation of the copyright act. Are you concerned that using, obtaining software like this to copy HD DVD's can come back to haunt you? There have been reports where people have been targeted by movie studios gaining records of who purchased software to make copies and have won the case against these people. The cases I read about don't even go to court. They find out who you are and then based on your purchase of the copy software extort money from you for not taking you to court. Many people were just intimidated into paying up.

It does not preserve menus. It will take all the soundtracks you want in the translation to BD. On the ones I did, I took the main English tracks and the directors/cast commentary tracks. Using the audio select button I can switch between them on playback. Essentially when you load the BD image it just starts playing the main feature, there are no menus. You can also choose which video tracks you want to transfer too. So, on some movies I also made BD images of the trailer, and extra features. My jukebox software integrates them all and makes it easy to handle the multiple BD images as one movie (see my popcornhour thread in the BD section).

I have not heard of any lawsuits going against copying movies. Only from downloads. I do not see how short of a search warrant they could find out you were copying movies if you are not distributing them in any way out of your house.

It worked really well for Star Trek TOS and Smallville. I made each episode its own BD ISO. Then when I select it in the jukebox it starts the episode right up. Chapter marks are all on the commercial breaks. It is actually easier/faster than watching the HD DVD considering the load and seek times.

Thanks for the tips. Yes, HD DVD is slow to load and I was reminded how sensitive the disks are to finger print smudging. More so than BD.

I bought a bunch of HD DVDs when they were selling out at a couple bucks each. I need to look into your solution for playing them.

Another question- I have some videos on my windows media server in my office and use 100kbit ethernet Cat 5e to the home theater and play with either PS3 or XBOX360. I only use it for SD videos now. Will these videos in HD play with this setup or do I need to install a local server in the Home theater and set up a local Gbit network to feed a special playback system?

Thanks for the tips. Yes, HD DVD is slow to load and I was reminded how sensitive the disks are to finger print smudging. More so than BD.

I bought a bunch of HD DVDs when they were selling out at a couple bucks each. I need to look into your solution for playing them.

Another question- I have some videos on my windows media server in my office and use 100kbit ethernet Cat 5e to the home theater and play with either PS3 or XBOX360. I only use it for SD videos now. Will these videos in HD play with this setup or do I need to install a local server in the Home theater and set up a local Gbit network to feed a special playback system?

Actually BD are more sensitive to finger prints than HD DVD's.

100mbit/sec is fine for BD playback which peaks at 50mbit/sec max. A switch dedicates the bandwidth. My PCH box only does 100mbit/sec ethernet, and I am watching these BD ISOs on it all the time without issue. The key is the server needs to be able to feed it without getting busy doing other things.

I have a Gigabit switch for the house, and the entertainment system has its own gigabit switch to share the 1 ethernet connection among the 5 or so devices. If you are using a PC for playback you of course could store the images on that PC and avoid the network altogether.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts