Last & Next Movie Watched

If I remember correctly, the Russian release of McKenna's Gold was actually dubbed.
After it was bought, yes.
And you are right, Obodzinski (IIRC) sang the opening song (grif sterviatnik) that actually set the right mood for the movie...:)

Before it was bought, I saw it with live translation (very quiet) and subtitles. That is what I'm referring to...

Most (all?) of the foreign movies in Russian cinema were dubbed.
But St. Petersburg had weeks of different countries cinematography quite often (French was the favorite) with live translation and/or subtitles...

Diogen.

EDIT: The Russian openning
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA_4Yg7bdcM&feature=related

A decent 720p copy can be found on torrent sites. But I hope it will see a BD release one day...

Last edited:
Kind of a make believe I speak and understand more languages than I really do. It always amused me.
You nailed it!
Just like some shmucks pretend to have a clue what the stock market is all about by quoting 10Q/10K filings and telling stories about what they buy/sell...:)
I'm waiting for quotes from "Reminiscences of a Stock Operator" and "The Art of War"...
No difference, really...

Diogen.

As you said it yourself, a lot depends on the quality of translation. Bad subtitles can do as much damage to the movie as a poorly done dubbing. Nothing comes close to understanding the movie in its original language. Too much is lost in translation and then on top of it, reading subtitles or listening to the dubbed voice both get very distractive.

Unless the dubbing is done very well though, I usually prefer subtitles. Especially for movies with a lot of acting: I want to hear the original voice, even if I don't understand it.

P.S. Thanks for the YouTube link. It brought back some childhood memories! :)

Shanghai (2009) with John Cusack.

It isn't in competition with neither recent Chinese classics like "Lust, Caution", "Red Cliff", "Infernal Affairs"
nor martial arts "Hero", "Flying Daggers" or "Crouching Tiger".
But it is a very professionally done movie in both plot and execution.

The picture quality is uneven at times but it doesn't rob from the total experience.

If you watched all of the above and liked them, Shanghai won't disappoint...

Diogen.

As you said it yourself, a lot depends on the quality of translation. Bad subtitles can do as much damage to the movie as a poorly done dubbing. Nothing comes close to understanding the movie in its original language. Too much is lost in translation and then on top of it, reading subtitles or listening to the dubbed voice both get very distractive.

Unless the dubbing is done very well though, I usually prefer subtitles. Especially for movies with a lot of acting: I want to hear the original voice, even if I don't understand it.

I tire of subtitles quickly...I tend to miss too much of the movie (who's who, what's what?) while reading the movie. I don't mind movies like "Dances with Wolves", as the characters and situations are well established once the subtitles start getting heavy. Some action movies with subtitles don't even give you time (or just barely) to read what someone says before it's gone and on to the next line of dialogue. Gets annoying quickly...

Last: SOund of Music

My favorite movie. They did a nice job. Kept the natural grain without going into heavy noise reduction and edge enhancement as with other older titles.

Next: Maybe Nightmare on Elm Street

S~

Last: Robin Hood (Director's Cut)

Great PQ/AQ. Enjoyed the way the story was told, weaving historical elements with fictional/mythical elements of the "Robin Hood" tale. The Director's Cut really did a nice job of filling in parts that the Theatrical version left wanting.

Next: Leaves of Grass

Wild Target (2010)

Not for everybody but if you like "Love Actually", 2003 and any of Tarantino, this movie is for you...

Diogen.

Last: The Karate Kid (2010). Pretty enjoyable. Wasn't sure I'd like it, but I really did. The filming in China was pretty spectacular.

Next: no idea

Saw Toy Story 3. Best yet but this one will appeal to older kids more than younger. Like 1 and 2, this is a sequel.

Saw SUCK If you liked Alice Cooper genre this one is a good watch. He's in it, as is Iggy Pop. About a loser Rock Band that become Vampires and become a big hit. The film was shot on Red camera with lots of creative lighting.

Saw Toy Story 3. Best yet but this one will appeal to older kids more than younger. Like 1 and 2, this is a sequel.

Saw SUCK If you liked Alice Cooper genre this one is a good watch. He's in it, as is Iggy Pop. About a loser Rock Band that become Vampires and become a big hit. The film was shot on Red camera with lots of creative lighting.

Looking forward to seeing it in BD, and NOT in 3D, which I think took away from the magic of Toy Story at the theater for me. Its already three dimensional - the very nature of their animation. Good film, and a decent way to end the franchise, although I like the first two better.

3D rendering RIP- yes. 3D viewing from a 2D presentation- no! I will look forward next year seeing this in 3D presentation when I get a 3D monitor here. I won't see it in the theater. Not that compelling a movie for me to suffer through the public theater experience.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts