Latest "D" Hook

inazsully

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 15, 2010
Sun City West, AZ
I went to Costco yesterday and their cell phone desk had a DirecTv sign. So I walked over and asked why use Costco to sign up with "D". Two big reasons. You get a $180 Costco gift card and if you have problems with "D" you have a special Costco phone number to call and they will handle the problem for you.I'm not sure if or how "D" is involved with this promotion but a pretty darn good marketing ploy. I passed but many have signed up according to the rep I talked to.

Lots of retailers offer some sort of incentive to sign up because they get money for you signing up and have you sign up for some weird package that only they offer and jack the price up after a year. Not worth a 180$ gift card at all

actually they are offering the exact same deals that D* has directly.....you just get an extra $180 costco gift card

There are lots of extra promotions out there (AAA being another one)

Sorry Patrick but I haven't seen any threads about this before so I thought it was the first and only. Perhaps it doesn't apply to you but I am a long time Dish customer I want "E" to be as successful as possible seeing as how they are my provider. I have seen many threads about "E" losing customers because of no 24/7 HD RSN's and no more Disney HD. I think it's interesting how the competition goes about advertising. "D" and "E" as well as the cable companies do heavy mail fliers offering essentially the same discounted deals and premium freebies. I find the $180 Costco card pretty novel since only Costco members are eligible. If a Costco customer is considering switching from cable I would think since both satellite companies are offering similar packages then a $180 gift card to a place you already shop at would be a big factor. If "E" did the same thing with Sam's Club I would also consider that an very smooth move. And Iceberg, "just a $180 gift card"? That's a lot of groceries for making a switch you were contemplating anyway. There may be other deals out there but I sure don't consider AAA as even in the same ballpark. Most customers visit Costco at least twice a month. I would like to see "E" be as innovative.

Last edited:
Im a retailer also, We offer the EXACT prices that D* Corp does, and yes ALL dealers/retailers get paid the exact same and offer the same prices as Corp..

Lots of retailers offer some sort of incentive to sign up because they get money for you signing up and have you sign up for some weird package that only they offer and jack the price up after a year. Not worth a 180$ gift card at all

Inazsully, if you search the forum for $180 Costco, you'll find the threads. Someone hijacked the hd absolute thread about this and there's one going on now in the directv forum. Don't get me wrong, it's a great deal and I almost switched to direct because of this. But I did some math and would only be saving $7/mo at most and would lose BBC America HD and pocketdish, so for me personally it's not worth it. I'm sure for many others, though, it can be a considerable savings. Still, this thread is a bit redundant.

Did you know Sam Club has free PC support, regardless of whether the computer was brought from there or has a warranty. I was shocked when the sales guy their told me. He told me it doesn't matter if it takes 4 hours, they have agreements with the manufacturers.