Lease a 942 ? Existing Sub

I'm not gonna worry about an HD DVR until the replacement for the 942 is out, or until Dish announces their plans to upgrade the existing HD receivers.

Mark S. said:
Yes, I got the deal as well about 12 days ago. :yes Started by E-mailing ceo@dishnetwork.com also. ;) Existing customer for 3-4 years. Already received the unit and have it installed and up and running. Love the 942!!! Seems to be a lot more stable than the 921 and love the NBR!!!

There is also a topic and poll on this very same thing, started by me, over at DBStalk.com in the 942 support forum where you can see just how many people have or have not been able to get the $250 lease deal done as an existing customer.
How long did it take you to get it? They told me 10 days :rolleyes:

davemanfl said:

I think they were running low on inventory when I ordered mine as it didn't ship for almost 10 days. Arrived in two days once it was in the pipe at UPS. No problems after that.

davemanfl said:

E* extended the offer to me on a Friday and the 942 arrived the following Thursday. Yes, it does have some small flaws (lack of S-Video outputs, HD to SD conversion video has "horizontal squish") - but they are minor compared to the excellence of this unit! The 942 is a real honey! I love it!

da Doug

How about buying the box at Costco for 500 bucks?

I talked to Dishnetwork yesterday and had the CSR ask his supervisor and said they could not do it. His name was Muhammad if it makes a difference?

If I buy the one at Costco at least it is mine, but will I still have to pay the extra 5 bucks a month or just hook it up and let it go?

Thanks..

keithshoe: A couple things for you to consider:
1) The MPEG-4units will probably be out within another year and E* has stated the HD subscribers will be changed out first. This will make the 942 obsolete.
2) I think it's $5/mo. no matter what.
3) In any event, $250 is much less than the purchase price and it would take years to get past the break-even point at $5/mo.
4) BTW, there also is a DVR fee that is waived if you have the AEP.

da Doug

I just got the 942 ordered & it is shipping tomorrow. I am an existing sub of 3 years. I talked to Robert for 20 minutes in the "Executive Office". When you call just ask for the Executive Office. Tell them it is a customer complaint problem & then you will be in touch with the right people.

I just told them I am leaving because there are no feasable options for long term Dish Subscribers to get HD at a reasonable price. Told him I was going back to cable because they offer the 8300HD Dual Tuner (SA) He said whoa there! and 15 minutes later and $250 more & my reciever was ordered.

I need to repoint one dish to 61.5 & there is a tech that will come over to "verify" the install for warranty purposes?

Unless the 942 is able to be upgraded (anyone looked at the hardware inside???) to MPEG-4 the reciever will be outdated next year with the additional HD in MPEG-4. (But I figure I will be able to scream my way into that as well :)

Just kinda hard to stomach paying $250.00 for something you do not own.

SolApathy said:
... Unless the 942 is able to be upgraded (anyone looked at the hardware inside???) to MPEG-4 the reciever will be outdated next year with the additional HD in MPEG-4.
No, it can NOT be upgraded.

davemanfl said:
Just kinda hard to stomach paying $250.00 for something you do not own.

Just thinking out loud, but hasn't anybody out there leased a car where there was a certain residual buy-down at the front end, i.e. $2000 plus tax and license to initiate lease? That's the exact same thing...spending $$$ on something that you will not ever "own". Not every lease is a zero down, nothing to get into it lease. Read the fine print on every single lease offer you see in the media (Audi A6--$399/month for 36 months, but then the fine print says $4500 first payment plus tax and license fees) and you'll see what I mean.

I think the $250 is worth it. A few months after the MPEG-4 Players come out I will give them a call & say hey...When I tlaked to you guys & paid $250 for this reciever you told me I was getting a great deal because of all the additional programming coming out next year for HD. Now I can't even get the HD channels...Which is exactly what the guy told me. Besides wit the way things go right now the MPEG-4 player will probably be buggy as hell for at least 4-6 months

SteveinDanville said:
Just thinking out loud, but hasn't anybody out there leased a car where there was a certain residual buy-down at the front end, i.e. $2000 plus tax and license to initiate lease? That's the exact same thing...spending $$$ on something that you will not ever "own". Not every lease is a zero down, nothing to get into it lease. Read the fine print on every single lease offer you see in the media (Audi A6--$399/month for 36 months, but then the fine print says $4500 first payment plus tax and license fees) and you'll see what I mean.

Excellent point...

The other thing I think alot of the people who are saying $250 is too much to lease it for or $250 is too much to pay and not own it are missing is this....

If you were to buy it now for $700, great you own it. In 1-2 years, the new MPEG4 receivers come out. DISH may or may not swap you out even steven and will most likely charge some type of upgrade charge.

So maybe then you decide to sell it on E-bay and buy the new receiver outright. If you sell it on E-bay in 1-2 years, do you realistically expect to make back your full $700 when the new MPEG4 receivers are already out or soon to be released? Ever heard of depreciation?

Maybe a more realistice scenario would be that maybe you could sell it on E-bay for somewhere between $200-$300. This would in the end leave you with a net loss on your 942 of $400-$500.

Now you look back and think you could have leased it for a total out of pocket of only $250. Leasing looks pretty good now. But alas, hind sight is always 20-20, as they say...

Just another scenario with a lot of speculation on my part thrown in but it is always fun to try and be Kreskin!!! LOL

Well, I'll tell ya..........I was just messing around and said, lemme email CEO@echostar.com and try to get a lease on the 942 as an existing subscriber. Within 5 hours the CEO responded and my NEW 942 will be shipped on Monday via UPS. I gatta tell ya, I'm never that lucky. Maybe because I really didn't want it, that's why I got it. Either way, I'm in a win situation...

ToUgHsPot said:
Well, I'll tell ya..........I was just messing around and said, lemme email CEO@echostar.com and try to get a lease on the 942 as an existing subscriber. Within 5 hours the CEO responded and my NEW 942 will be shipped on Monday via UPS. I gatta tell ya, I'm never that lucky. Maybe because I really didn't want it, that's why I got it. Either way, I'm in a win situation...

Yes you are! We just love our 942 and it's a safe bet you will too! :D

--da Doug

Thanks for the tip, guys. I emailed the CEO with a buttkissin' (albeit heartfelt) note this morning around 0830. I received a call from Amanda at "executive offices" ~1430. Very nice lady, and I'm not just saying that cause they're letting me (existing customer of 8 yrs) lease a 942. She was really more down-to-Earth and un-scripted than anyone I've ever spoken with at E* or equivalent. I'm very satisfied.

120inna55 said:
Thanks for the tip, guys. I emailed the CEO with a buttkissin' (albeit heartfelt) note this morning around 0830. I received a call from Amanda at "executive offices" ~1430. Very nice lady, and I'm not just saying that cause they're letting me (existing customer of 8 yrs) lease a 942. She was really more down-to-Earth and un-scripted than anyone I've ever spoken with at E* or equivalent. I'm very satisfied.

Wow!! Isn't that a coincidence??? Ms. Amanda Wood was the same lady that called me too. You are so right, she's really a nice and helpful lady. A real asset to her company. Not sure if this is the right thing to do, but any existing subscriber that wants to lease the 942 can PM me, I'll give them Amanda's direct phone line. She includes it with all her emails.....

ToUgHsPot said:
Wow!! Isn't that a coincidence??? Ms. Amanda Wood was the same lady that called me too. You are so right, she's really a nice and helpful lady. A real asset to her company. Not sure if this is the right thing to do, but any existing subscriber that wants to lease the 942 can PM me, I'll give them Amanda's direct phone line. She includes it with all her emails.....
Same with me...she's who's getting me my 942 lease upgrade!

David Dietzel said:
I really don't think that giving out her direct phone number is appropriate.

People can simply email the CEO as you did.

Let's use our heads here and not ruin a good thing.
Absolutely. Thank you.

Existing customers who are getting a 942 lease by emailing ceo, do you all do your own install? Does Dish offer install on this lease price? I am not sure I can rig a dual room, dual tuner install on my own.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)